• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
How long do I have to decline? Also, how long lately does it take FINSEL to be generated? If it takes them at least a month, I should be good.

It's not that I don't want to do Naval OCS, it's that it would be wise for me to see what all my options are before moving forward. If it came down it and they needed me to commit before the USAF boards are released, I would. I wouldn't turn down a guaranteed invite now for a possible later, but hopefully it won't have to come to that.

You might not have the option. Recruiters have been told for all Pilot/NFO selects to expect a rapid turnaround to getting a FINSEL and ultimately OCS.

koliver

How long do I have to decline? Also, how long lately does it take FINSEL to be generated? If it takes them at least a month, I should be good.

It's not that I don't want to do Naval OCS, it's that it would be wise for me to see what all my options are before moving forward. If it came down it and they needed me to commit before the USAF boards are released, I would. I wouldn't turn down a guaranteed invite now for a possible later, but hopefully it won't have to come to that.
It seems as though you're wanting the Air Force first and foremost. Not to be rude but if that's the reason then don't get in the way of those who are just as qualified as you and want naval aviation more.

Squirtle

You might not have the option. Recruiters have been told for all Pilot/NFO selects to expect a rapid turnaround to getting a FINSEL and ultimately OCS.
Hot dog.

What's the graduation PFT requirements for a 25 year old male? I'm seeing a bunch of different charts. Is it Good-Low or Excellent-Low? Also, I'm a far better runner than swimmer, do I get a choice of which or do they simply assign whatever space at that time is available for testing?

I'm currently at:
50 for pushups
48 for sit ups
10:30 for 1.5 mile run

I should be fine for the entrance PFT, right? I haven't hit full-blown workout mode yet, so my number should (hopefully) have much more growth potential.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hot dog.

What's the graduation PFT requirements for a 25 year old male? I'm seeing a bunch of different charts. Is it Good-Low or Excellent-Low? Also, I'm a far better runner than swimmer, do I get a choice of which or do they simply assign whatever space at that time is available for testing?

I'm currently at:
50 for pushups
48 for sit ups
10:30 for 1.5 mile run

I should be fine for the entrance PFT, right? I haven't hit full-blown workout mode yet, so my number should (hopefully) have much more growth potential.

Hmm... if only there's an OCS thread or better yet an OCS study guide a RECRUITER could provide...

Squirtle

It seems as though you're wanting the Air Force first and foremost. Not to be rude but if that's the reason then don't get in the way of those who are just as qualified as you and want naval aviation more.
Since the board meets Monday, is it too late to pull my app without taking someone else's slot?

Squirtle

Ya, you may take someone's spot, but I'm just saying that it's nice you're trying to be considerate at least.
Yeah I applied for both, because at the end of the day I just want a commission. But I'm the type of guy that likes to see what all my options are before moving forward and I was hoping to be able to do that. I was assuming I could still pull that app and just resubmit for the March board, making the two branches line up again, but it doesn't appear to be an option at this point.

If I pull out now that the board has met, I'm assuming this will be the equivalent of declining an OTS slot and shutting the door on me forever?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yeah I applied for both, because at the end of the day I just want a commission. But I'm the type of guy that likes to see what all my options are before moving forward and I was hoping to be able to do that. I was assuming I could still pull that app and just resubmit for the March board, making the two branches line up again, but it doesn't appear to be an option at this point.

If I pull out now that the board has met, I'm assuming this will be the equivalent of declining an OTS slot and shutting the door on me forever?

Many of us are that way when it comes to major life decisions. However, there's this thing called "life" that might get in the way and prevent you from doing so.

In the end, assuming you're being selected for either Pilot/NFO, you're being offered a Navy commission and an opportunity to be a part of naval aviation. Yes, you will have to clear a NAMI physical and even get through the flight training pipeline, but that goes for all services as well. Furthermore, big Navy wants Pilots/NFOs to ship to OCS ASAP so on top of the benefits mentioned above you will have minimal wait time to start the path to becoming an officer. To answer your final question, turn down an OCS spot and good luck finding a recruiter and even so good luck convincing the board to select you again. Likely won't happen.

Long story short, welcome to life.

Squirtle

Many of us are that way when it comes to major life decisions. However, there's this thing called "life" that might get in the way and prevent you from doing so.

In the end, assuming you're being selected for either Pilot/NFO, you're being offered a Navy commission and an opportunity to be a part of naval aviation. Yes, you will have to clear a NAMI physical and even get through the flight training pipeline, but that goes for all services as well. Furthermore, big Navy wants Pilots/NFOs to ship to OCS ASAP so on top of the benefits mentioned above you will have minimal wait time to start the path to becoming an officer. To answer your final question, turn down an OCS spot and good luck finding a recruiter and even so good luck convincing the board to select you again. Likely won't happen.

Long story short, welcome to life.
I appreciate the words of wisdom.

If I pull from this Navy board so late in the process, it'll be effectively be a declination and bar me from applying again, right?

I think I'm going to pull the USAF package before their board meets. If I get turned down for this board, I can always reapply to the USAF in a few months.

Also, thank you to the Air Warriors community for all of the information so far!

FormerRecruitingGuru

I appreciate the words of wisdom.

If I pull from this Navy board so late in the process, it'll be effectively be a declination and bar me from applying again, right?

I think I'm going to pull the USAF package before their board meets. If I get turned down for this board, I can always reapply to the USAF in a few months.

Also, thank you to the Air Warriors community for all of the information so far!

You can reapply, but good luck trying to find a recruiter who will work with you. And even so, you will need to explain to the board why you turned down a spot.