• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Just checking in as well. I, like a few others on this thread submitted my packet for the November board, and was tabled for the next one. I've been studying a lot lately and would have preferred being denied so I can retake my ASTB and bump my scores up but well here I am, hoping for the best. Also could've gotten some better recommendation letters. An o-6 and 0-5 in my unit are now available, who weren't at the time I first built my packet. Also I met the nephew of Jesse Brown, who might be able to introduce me to Thomas Hudner (if you guys don't know these names just google them--great story and historic moment in Naval Aviation). Imagine having a recommendation letter from him!!!

Anyways, Good luck to all!

Stats:
BS: Psychology, Criminal Justice GPA: 2.81
MA: Forensic Psychology (in progress) GPA 3.3
Prior Service: Army Reserves E-5 SGT (current, got conditional release)
ASTB/OAR: 5/6/5 52

Your GPA and ASTB score are both meh... I can see the Pilot/NFO board going either way but be ready to retake the ASTB in the event you're not selected.

LORs and interviews really don't matter much with these programs.

Nicholas Ladolcetta

your ASTB and GPA is really all that matters.
Yes I've been told. It's just due to my less than desireable GPA and non STEM major(s) I'm looking for every leg up I can.
Your GPA and ASTB score are both meh... I can see the Pilot/NFO board going either way but be ready to retake the ASTB in the event you're not selected.

LORs and interviews really don't matter much with these programs.

Thats the way I see it as well, but my recruiter has this confidence in me that I can't explain for the life of me. As soon as I heard the board tabled my packet I asked to retake the ASTB. Between my studying and general familiarity I'm confident I can do better, but she says both that I have nothing to worry about-- that I will get selected-- and that since the packet was tabled and not denied nothing can be added or replaced to the document.

One thing I hope I have going for me, is that in regards to my GPA, both of those undergrad degree were gotten separately. The CRIMJ degree first, had a GPA of 2.3 and was pre military, the Psych degree was after and had a GPA of 3.8. I understand it's all just numbers on a paper, but I'm hoping there might be some room for discretion and this improvement will carry some more weight than a simple 2.81.

The only thing that concerns me is that I am approaching the maximum age. If I get denied here, I don't think I would be commissioned in time even if I am accepted at the board after.

exNavyOffRec

Yes I've been told. It's just due to my less than desireable GPA and non STEM major(s) I'm looking for every leg up I can.

Thats the way I see it as well, but my recruiter has this confidence in me that I can't explain for the life of me. As soon as I heard the board tabled my packet I asked to retake the ASTB. Between my studying and general familiarity I'm confident I can do better, but she says both that I have nothing to worry about-- that I will get selected-- and that since the packet was tabled and not denied nothing can be added or replaced to the document.

One thing I hope I have going for me, is that in regards to my GPA, both of those undergrad degree were gotten separately. The CRIMJ degree first, had a GPA of 2.3 and was pre military, the Psych degree was after and had a GPA of 3.8. I understand it's all just numbers on a paper, but I'm hoping there might be some room for discretion and this improvement will carry some more weight than a simple 2.81.

The only thing that concerns me is that I am approaching the maximum age. If I get denied here, I don't think I would be commissioned in time even if I am accepted at the board after.

Some boards like CEC and Nuke for instance take the time to look at transcripts, SNA, SNFO, and SWO for instance do not, it is too time consuming, they don't have that much time.

She wouldn't want you to retake because in order to do that your application would have to be rejected back to the NRD, then if you did worse she wouldn't get application credit for you.

There isn't much discretion, it is all about "can this person make it through flight school" and the only thing they have to give an indication of that is ASTB, if this was 2 years ago I would tell you to retake as essentially no one with 5's would get picked up.

Nicholas Ladolcetta

Some boards like CEC and Nuke for instance take the time to look at transcripts, SNA, SNFO, and SWO for instance do not, it is too time consuming, they don't have that much time.

She wouldn't want you to retake because in order to do that your application would have to be rejected back to the NRD, then if you did worse she wouldn't get application credit for you.

There isn't much discretion, it is all about "can this person make it through flight school" and the only thing they have to give an indication of that is ASTB, if this was 2 years ago I would tell you to retake as essentially no one with 5's would get picked up.

Yea she explained why she wasn't going forward with me retaking the ASTB and I understood. I was just in conversation with her and she informed me the board was pushed back to February 17.

She also gave me a glimmer of hope which I hope you guys can either confirm or deny. The board being pushed back puts me in a now or never scenario because of my age. I won't be commissioned in time if I had to apply for the board after this one. She suggests this actually plays in my favor, because the board will recognize I won't be able to apply again. What do you guys think?

FormerRecruitingGuru

If you're PROREC'd for this board expect to ship to OCS alot sooner than later. NRC is looking for more folks to ship between now and the rest of the FY.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Yea she explained why she wasn't going forward with me retaking the ASTB and I understood. I was just in conversation with her and she informed me the board was pushed back to February 17.

She also gave me a glimmer of hope which I hope you guys can either confirm or deny. The board being pushed back puts me in a now or never scenario because of my age. I won't be commissioned in time if I had to apply for the board after this one. She suggests this actually plays in my favor, because the board will recognize I won't be able to apply again. What do you guys think?

The boards could care less if you're age critical or not.

bmi11er

PRO REC Y SNA
Rufio, can you confirm the date this board is taking place now? I've seen conflicting posts and want to get it set straight.

fx4Justin

I can finally check in for this board. Submitted my kit on 29 DEC and I thought that I was going to get pushed to the next board. Very glad to hear today that because the submission date was pushed back I made this one. Good luck to everyone, hopefully we get a lot of selections!

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
17 Feb 2017. Judging by your posting history, we've been in the same boat since 3 Oct 2016...

So, the board CONVENES (gathers) on 6 Feb 2017 (per Rufus, above) and releases selections on 17 Feb 2017? Or did you hear from your REC that the board CONVENES on the 17?

jnav3

So, the board CONVENES (gathers) on 6 Feb 2017 (per Rufus, above) and releases selections on 17 Feb 2017? Or did you hear from your REC that the board CONVENES on the 17?

My OR told me that the board convenes on 17 Feb (with results released around 2 weeks after), the same info that Nicholas' OR provided. I follow Rufio's board schedule updates and always confirm with my OR just to be certain. I suggest you do the same and post here so we know we're all on the same page.