• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2008 Bah

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
reading the FAQ on BAH it seems like the figuring process is quite convoluted. The folks at the BAH office assume Base housing is nicer than things you can get in town. They also look at housing up to an hour away. An hour is a long drive each way. My 2 Cents

MasterBates

Yeah, that was the case in Mayport. We got the same rate as NAS JAX, but there was a LOT more nice places in the BAH range near NAS JAX. NS Mayport had the usual "ghetto outside the gate" and the rest of the really close stuff was on the beach.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Yeah, that was the case in Mayport. We got the same rate as NAS JAX, but there was a LOT more nice places in the BAH range near NAS JAX. NS Mayport had the usual "ghetto outside the gate" and the rest of the really close stuff was on the beach.
Come on! You don't want to live/PARK next to a tattoo parlor?

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
As for mayport my wife and I were looking for a home, and what the BAH comes to doesnt even come close to covering a decent home. We found several around 165K that needed 30+K of work. Nas Jax seems to have a whole lot more nice homes around it. So without the 30+ mile commute I would rather live on the West side. As for fltpays comments I did look at a few places next to tattoo parlors. They must have been the upscale ones as there were no naked women on the wall!

MasterBates

Back before 99 or so (according to my OIC) you could get a nice place in the beaches and cover it with BAH (as in JAX/Neptune beach, not ON the beach) but in the 00-02 time frame the market on the beaches and intracoastal west went nuts.

And since NS Mayport is tied to NAS JAX for BAH (same county) it will stay that way.

I bought in Oceanway because it was the only way I could afford a house as an O-2, and have less than an hour commute.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola's went up $118 from 2007. That makes my future Ensign paycheck very very happy.