• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2/C cruise

velociboilerraptor

semi-adept desk flyer
last year and this year, you don't even need to do a 1/C cruise in some cases. USNA Powered Flight checks the box as an aviation cruise, 10 flights and a solo in a Piper Warrior, though it no longer allows you to validate IFS (or flying portion of NIFE)

True, but not for NROTC. That is unless the cruise was canceled due to COVID in which case the requirement was waived.

BarryD

Contributor
True, but not for NROTC. That is unless the cruise was canceled due to COVID in which case the requirement was waived.
Yep. That being said, a traditional 1/C aviation cruise is a blast and would totally recommend doing one.

Didn't know Powered Flight was a summer cruise option for USNA folks though, I thought it was something they did during the ac year. Apparently I was confusing that with VTNA.

johnboyA6E

None
VTNA is year round 'flying club' type stuff. Powered Flight is run by VTNA in the summer training blocks.

they really seem to have ramped up the "aviation screener" aspect of the program. 150 page FTI, week of ground school with daily tests and followed by verbal checklist and EP tests and a blindfold cockpit test before ever getting airborne. failure on any single test results is a Training Review Board, and two failures can get you removed. all the flights are graded on each required Maneuver Item
Seems like overkill, but it gives them a good sense of what flight school feels like - firehose, pressure, etc

Probably a better idea of what you're getting into in regard to flight school. And for the people at USNA who are selecting who gets Aviation, I would guess it must be a decent predictor of performance in primary

EDIT - just realized this is an NROTC thread, so not relevant

BarryD

Contributor
they really seem to have ramped up the "aviation screener" aspect of the program. 150 page FTI, week of ground school with daily tests and followed by verbal checklist and EP tests and a blindfold cockpit test before ever getting airborne. failure on any single test results is a Training Review Board, and two failures can get you removed. all the flights are graded on each required Maneuver Item
Seems like overkill, but it gives them a good sense of what flight school feels like - firehose, pressure, etc

Probably a better idea of what you're getting into in regard to flight school. And for the people at USNA who are selecting who gets Aviation, I would guess it must be a decent predictor of performance in primary

EDIT - just realized this is an NROTC thread, so not relevant
Sounds like a cool program.

Also something worth noting is there are some USNA PTE programs NROTC folks can request for summer training (I believe in addition to a traditional cruise) such as a YP cruise or OSTS. Don't know anyone who has done OSTS as cruises were canceled the first year it was available for NROTC, but know people who have done YP cruises as 1/C in previous years.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Sheesh, like taking 18+ credits a semester isn't already enough of a firehose/pressure system? Seems a tad extreme if they hold the failures against Mids come service selection. At least as a SNA, your only job is flying stuff, not in addition to a B.S. in a technically oriented curriculum.