• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2/C cruise

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
I requested to do my 2/C cruise on a sub. COVID put a quick stop to that though. A lot of rising 2/C tend to use that cruise as a way of experiencing a community they don't want to service select. Hopefully I get a growler cruise this time around...

I know of one Mid who has since commissioned, who got a cat/trap on a C-2 for his 1/C cruise.
Is doing a cat/trap a big deal? It seems really cool.

BarryD

Contributor
CORTRAMID (for NROTC) and PROTRAMID (for USNA) were moved from 2C summer to 3C summer beginning this year. That means that current 2C (who had it cancelled last summer) and rising 2C won't get that opportunity.
Interesting to hear that about PROTRAMID.

CORTRAMID has been a 3/C Cruise for NROTC ever since they went from "two and screw" to "one and done" WRT to when you have to commit to service (don't know how many years ago that was, but awhile now as I understand it).

Seeing as USNA probably isn't gonna ditch the "2 for 7" model anytime soon, I'd be curious to see if PROTRAMID continues to be a 3/C Cruise opposed to a 2/C cruise, or if that moving PROTRAMID up a year is solely due to COVID-induced planning constraints.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Interesting to hear that about PROTRAMID.

CORTRAMID has been a 3/C Cruise for NROTC ever since they went from "two and screw" to "one and done" WRT to when you have to commit to service (don't know how many years ago that was, but awhile now as I understand it).

Seeing as USNA probably isn't gonna ditch the "2 for 7" model anytime soon, I'd be curious to see if PROTRAMID continues to be a 3/C Cruise opposed to a 2/C cruise, or if that moving PROTRAMID up a year is solely due to COVID-induced planning constraints.
CORTAMID was a 3/c cruise back in the dark ages of 99. First day of sophomore year was when you signed on the line or walked away from NROTC.

BarryD

Contributor
CORTAMID was a 3/c cruise back in the dark ages of 99. First day of sophomore year was when you signed on the line or walked away from NROTC.

Looks like it changed in the late 80s, which makes sense when I think about it now as the people I talked to who did CORTRAMID when it was normally a 2/C cruise commissioned in the 89-92 timeframe.

CClark533

I did my 2/C Cruise on the Ike a few years ago. My thought process was to request a SWO-N cruise so they send me to a carrier and I can experience flight ops. Thankfully it worked out and I got to see some Super Hornet, Growler and T-45 carrier quals. It was an awesome experience to say the least. Shoot me a message if you have any questions.
DS applied for Phase 1 of his 2C cruise (started yesterday but hasn't heard anything). Are the cruises the whole 4 weeks or could he still be contacted to go sometime within the Phase time frame? We are thinking he might get his second Phase choice since he hasn't heard anything about attending this one.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
DS applied for Phase 1 of his 2C cruise (started yesterday but hasn't heard anything). Are the cruises the whole 4 weeks or could he still be contacted to go sometime within the Phase time frame? We are thinking he might get his second Phase choice since he hasn't heard anything about attending this one.
My cruise was only 7 days long and I was only on vessel for about 5 days. You should hear about an assignment before the cruise period starts though. I would follow up with cruise coordinator because should have been assigned earlier

CClark533

My cruise was only 7 days long and I was only on vessel for about 5 days. You should hear about an assignment before the cruise period starts though. I would follow up with cruise coordinator because should have been assigned earlier
DS got a call from his detachment (2 days after the 1st phase started) saying that there may not be room for him to do a 2C cruise this summer. He applied for the 1st or 2nd phase on the West Coast. (Other midshipmen from his detachment who applied for 1st and 2nd phase on the West Coast got the same phone call). Don't know if it is COVID related but it may be a huge disappointment if he has to miss this cruise on top of missing out on COTRAMID last summer. Still keeping fingers crossed for 2nd phase.

Pags

N/A
pilot
DS got a call from his detachment (2 days after the 1st phase started) saying that there may not be room for him to do a 2C cruise this summer. He applied for the 1st or 2nd phase on the West Coast. (Other midshipmen from his detachment who applied for 1st and 2nd phase on the West Coast got the same phone call). Don't know if it is COVID related but it may be a huge disappointment if he has to miss this cruise on top of missing out on COTRAMID last summer. Still keeping fingers crossed for 2nd phase.
If it's any consolation the fleet will still be there when he gets commissioned.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Summer 2003, I was one of the NROTC instructors running CORTRAMID East. A few of my 1/C mids we’re on the Big E pierside, with no flying opportunities. I took care of them and got them both a ride on a P-3 and an MH-53. They BOTH went aviation. One became a P-3 pilot, the other was a MH-60 pilot.

um... wtf how are you narrating my exact experience as a mid on the Enterprise (but as a 2/c?) Do I know you? ?
Sincerely, "That MH-60 pilot"...

johnboyA6E

None
Also worth mentioning that 1/C cruise is the only required cruise for him to complete in order to commission.

last year and this year, you don't even need to do a 1/C cruise in some cases. USNA Powered Flight checks the box as an aviation cruise, 10 flights and a solo in a Piper Warrior, though it no longer allows you to validate IFS (or flying portion of NIFE)