• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

Adam80

What’s the biggest adjustment that y’all are anticipating between your civilian life and military life?

I’ve always lived in large cities. I expect getting stationed in a small town will take some getting used to. Any y’all AD been thru that change?

BDavis11

Contributor
What’s the biggest adjustment that y’all are anticipating between your civilian life and military life?

I’ve always lived in large cities. I expect getting stationed in a small town will take some getting used to.
Most bases are in bigger cities…Jacksonville, San Diego, Norfolk

GoldLeaf

I’ve always lived in large cities. I expect getting stationed in a small town will take some getting used to. Any y’all AD been thru that change?
Probably just freedom, not being able to go see family on weekends etc. But it'll be fine, they are all supportive.

FloridaDad

I grew up with missionary parents so I moved about 20 times by the age of 18. We moved cities, states, or countries 7 times by the time I was 11 but I've stayed put in Florida ever since then with only a couple of short stints in Arkansas and New York. After so much moving, Orlando became the first city got to call home for more than a few years and it means the world to me. Joining the military means a return to the nomadic life I grew up in, so it's not something I'm unfamiliar with, but I am going to dearly miss the sense of "home" that I have in Central Florida. I've spent nearly two decades now building relationships and becoming established/connected with friends, church, school/college, and all sorts of things. Becoming a nomad once again will be the hardest part for me, but I know that I can thrive in that kind of life and I know I can come home someday when I retire.

WorldWar33.3

I'm a city guy too and I'm looking forward to a little culture shock before I get older and fatter. Anything to break the monotony. It'll feel a weird to drive longer distances to get groceries, but I won't say no to any adventures. Luckily I'm single with no kids and no pets (unless a roommate counts - jk), so I have no problem with starting a new life in the military. I think I picked the right time to start living the dream.

NewComb

I grew up with missionary parents so I moved about 20 times by the age of 18. We moved cities, states, or countries 7 times by the time I was 11 but I've stayed put in Florida ever since then with only a couple of short stints in Arkansas and New York. After so much moving, Orlando became the first city got to call home for more than a few years and it means the world to me. Joining the military means a return to the nomadic life I grew up in, so it's not something I'm unfamiliar with, but I am going to dearly miss the sense of "home" that I have in Central Florida. I've spent nearly two decades now building relationships and becoming established/connected with friends, church, school/college, and all sorts of things. Becoming a nomad once again will be the hardest part for me, but I know that I can thrive in that kind of life and I know I can come home someday when I retire.
Have fun with your SF 86

Cam.wag21

I wouldnt worry too much about it, I love all the different experiences and exposure I have had. I try to maximize every new area I go to and get as many new experiences as possible. that has been one of my favorite parts after 12 years of AD so far. as far as being away from family, it is good for you, you will most likely go see them on the holidays which ends up being pretty nice.

FloridaDad

Have fun with your SF 86
Ya... that's gonna be a ton of fun to fill out hahaha. How close do you have to be to someone to list them? Because clearly if I listed every foreign friend I have it would take ages. Anything I should be aware of or careful about? I don't want to leave something or someone out that needs to be mentioned by I don't want to create a mountain of paperwork that's unnecessarily dense and holds things up just by existing.

Maze_soba

Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster. I was wondering how y'all got LORs. I haven't yet started the process (I'm waiting to graduate college in June of 23) and I don't really know how to network into the community. Do you guys have any tips?
If you live anywhere near a base, networking through local activities is a good idea. I'm pretty close to NAS Whidbey, and it turned out the neighbor I've been riding mountain bikes with is a recently retired O-6 and former Growler pilot. Talked to him about my desire to fly for the Navy and he even took me up in his personal biplane. It was a super cool experience, and he was happy to write a LOR.

Maze_soba

Ya... that's gonna be a ton of fun to fill out hahaha. How close do you have to be to someone to list them? Because clearly if I listed every foreign friend I have it would take ages. Anything I should be aware of or careful about? I don't want to leave something or someone out that needs to be mentioned by I don't want to create a mountain of paperwork that's unnecessarily dense and holds things up just by existing.
I was in the same boat with 64 international travel entries in the last 7 years or something like that after living in a different country for 6 years. Just list those that are closest, and comment something along the lines of "Through my career as ___ I met hundreds of individuals. While we may recognize each other's name or likeness, I am not bound by affection, etc." The guy interviewing me just asked about that and totally understood the fact that you will likely know hundreds of foreigners through work and stuff and is only interested in knowing if they can be used to blackmail you or something.