• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

Mouselovr

Contributor
Talked about this before. Maybe I'm a blow-off or maybe it's because my degree isnt as lucrative as engineering (biology grads from my school average >$20 an hour after graduating), but I did a bunch of seasonal, fun work after my PROREC. Hiked mountains with kids, drove some boats around, guided around the country while being paid (not very much, but it was all temporary in anticipation of showing up to Newport). If you are a recent grad like me and have few to no responsibilities, I would highly recommend it. If they give you a date, you know how much time you have to fill.

I did not have the luxury to not work, so I found this was an awesome solution while in limbo.

Does anyone have advice for an engineer graduating in December but won’t get an ocs date till after October 2022? (submitting next board), need to make some money but I’ve been told I might get distracted from joining the navy. I just feel like I’m in limbo
I've been AD since I graduated high school and I've been in for about 16 years so take that into account. If you get "distracted" by an engineering job.....take it. For two reasons. One, if it is good enough to distract you from something like being a pilot then it must be an awesome job. And two, if it can distract you so much you give up on pilot then you must not have wanted it bad enough and would possibly have dropped out somewhere through the training pipeline. I've been Aircrew my entire career and obviously it's not as demanding as Pilot or NFO but it's pretty similar in a lot of ways especially during the training pipeline and there are times when you question your decisions and if it's worth it.

If and engineering job makes you do that before you even get to OCS, itll make you question a lot more after you get in.

GoldLeaf

Does anyone have advice for an engineer graduating in December but won’t get an ocs date till after October 2022? (submitting next board), need to make some money but I’ve been told I might get distracted from joining the navy. I just feel like I’m in limbo
Work part time, fly if you can afford it, and start application process now.

krae3443

Also by working you’ll have money to take those vacations before ocs. Like I’m going places with my best friends because some I truly haven’t got see since I finished undergrad in 2019 and others just because. Like right now I’m at Disney world with my cousin and my best friend from grad school for a week. I wouldn’t be able to afford a trip like that without my job. So if you choose to work full time get a job that gives you vacation time to begin with. I get three weeks of vacation time and two weeks of personal time. And another thing about my job I make good money and have amazing benefits and everyday it still confirms why I’m wanting to be a NFO. Everyday I’m like yup this reminds me why I got to work hard to be where I want to be. You have to end of day do what’s right for you. We can all give you advice but we don’t know your situation and what you need.

BB Poison

Contributor

Start applying for jobs like yesterday, took me 6 months post grad to find a job. With the way things are looking you might not go to OCS until 2023.

rtwodr

I started my OCS process a semester before graduation in summer ‘19 but I did pretty bad (I thought I didnt need to study smh) so I had to wait to retake the ASTB. During that time, I found an engineering job and have been working here full time since then. The end goal is still to be in the Naval Officer (SNA, SWO, whatever I can get) but theres no guarantees in that other than enlisting.

You also worked hard for that engineering degree and this process is long, so you might as well prepare for a backup incase things don’t work out. At least that was my mind set when I was in your position.