• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1Nov2021 SNA/SNFO Board

JoeBob1788

I did BJJ once and it was a blast but it’s exhausting
I lift a lot, run pretty fast, etc etc… nothing has strengthened my grip and improved my core strength like BJJ while providing great cardio. Probably the best total-body workout ever, and keeps the run time decent without many miles.

JoeBob1788

How’s the risk of injury?
I’d say lower than most other contact sports, since it’s focused on the ground game. In over a year of going 3-5 times a week, I think I’ve had one or two tweaks that bothered me for more than a couple of days. I’ve been injured far worse playing ultimate frisbee for Navy PT. (3 cracked ribs… it was a competitive game)

Lifting, running, BJJ, and other sports all present a so-called “risk of injury”. Being out of shape and getting shin splints or tweaking your “bad back” because you’re weak and out of shape is a far bigger risk IMO, nevermind the heart issues and other health risks from being overweight and/or out of shape. Pick your poison…

Skylanepilot1981

I’d say lower than most other contact sports, since it’s focused on the ground game. In over a year of going 3-5 times a week, I think I’ve had one or two tweaks that bothered me for more than a couple of days. I’ve been injured far worse playing ultimate frisbee for Navy PT. (3 cracked ribs… it was a competitive game)

Lifting, running, BJJ, and other sports all present a so-called “risk of injury”. Being out of shape and getting shin splints or tweaking your “bad back” because you’re weak and out of shape is a far bigger risk IMO, nevermind the heart issues and other health risks from being overweight and/or out of shape. Pick your poison…
Makes total sense, I’m trying to be cautious with what physical activities I do but I’ve been told I’m overly cautious. I have friends rooting for me that don’t want me to get hurt and end up throwing the navy away before it starts

JoeBob1788

Makes total sense, I’m trying to be cautious with what physical activities I do but I’ve been told I’m overly cautious. I have friends rooting for me that don’t want me to get hurt and end up throwing the navy away before it starts
Don’t go for deadlift and squat 1 rep maxes; use triples or sets of 5 to push yourself. Don’t take up rugby for the first time, or take up downhill mountain biking for the first time. Just don’t be dumb.

But if you show up unprepared, you’ll injure yourself in training. Shin splints, for example, hit all kinds of people in bootcamp and other training, and they’re 100% preventable if you’re prepared. In SERE, we had a pilot who was an embarrassment trying to “evade” with a backpack; he couldn’t keep up. That’s way worse than dealing with a training injury, in my opinion. I know flying isn’t special operations or anything but if you’re joining the military act like a warfighter.

that’s my soapbox, I’ll step off it now. Just please pass the PRT haha.

EDIT: and as my dear ol dad told me once (30 year NFO), “you’re only ever one SAM away from being infantry”

Dboom85

Banned
Does anyone have advice for an engineer graduating in December but won’t get an ocs date till after October 2022? (submitting next board), need to make some money but I’ve been told I might get distracted from joining the navy. I just feel like I’m in limbo

Jstalz

Does anyone have advice for an engineer graduating in December but won’t get an ocs date till after October 2022? (submitting next board), need to make some money but I’ve been told I might get distracted from joining the navy. I just feel like I’m in limbo

I'm in a similar position since I'll be graduating in May and I also won't be considered until the May Board (if it happens). I'm just leaning towards trying to secure a full-time job prior to graduation so that I have something going to cover me if they cancel the May board or if I get accepted to an OCS date far into the future or if I get a Pro-Rec No.

exNavyOffRec

I'm in a similar position since I'll be graduating in May and I also won't be considered until the May Board (if it happens). I'm just leaning towards trying to secure a full-time job prior to graduation so that I have something going to cover me if they cancel the May board or if I get accepted to an OCS date far into the future or if I get a Pro-Rec No.

Pole dancing class at the local YMCA, or senior center........

SE_53

This is coming from a current engineer, you wont get distracted. Most of my friends from engineering and I all complain about how boring our jobs are. You could be lucky tho and find a great engineering job that you really enjoy and that would be awesome, especially since mil aviation isn't a guarantee. So id say you should try and find an engr job after grad

Adam80

I don’t see any reason not to get a job to cover your finances until you join. And as far as thinking it may distract you from navy, it won’t.

krae3443

This is coming from a current engineer, you wont get distracted. Most of my friends from engineering and I all complain about how boring our jobs are. You could be lucky tho and find a great engineering job that you really enjoy and that would be awesome, especially since mil aviation isn't a guarantee. So id say you should try and find an engr job after grad
I’m not an engineer but agree with this. I work for an oil and gas company full time. Deal with project deadlines and all the fun stuff. I can promise even with studying for the astb and working out and having my job after my masters during the summer. I still was amazed how much time I had because school you’ll realize takes up a lot of time and you only grasp how much when it’s done.