• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

19 Year Old Makes Emergency Landing on Road

UMichfly

pilot
None
If some IFS stud made it from P'Cola/Annapolis/Quantanamo to Scottsdale, I'm damn impressed and will buy that person their first beer on completion of their ad-sep. from the Navy :D

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
is IFS only in those 3 locations now? I heard that was going to happen. when did it start?

so, is the Navy now sending all their selectees to those places? sounds like a lot of travel $$$. what was the prob with the way it was when I went through? (accredited flight schools anywhere pretty much)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
is IFS only in those 3 locations now? I heard that was going to happen. when did it start?

Last year I think. I'm currently at Mobile, started IFS this week. There a bunch of shirts from first solos in the Navy room that they have set aside for us.

SQUIDutah

pilot
Think it is 6 locations. Mobile, Pensacola, Milton, Eglin, Destin, and Baymonette. I am sure the spelling is incorrect for at least 2 of the 5... Also no money (per diem) is made. You drive anywhere from 90 minutes to go to ground school or fly and it is all out of your pocket. You can always take the Navy van thought...

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor

so, is the Navy now sending all their selectees to those places? sounds like a lot of travel $$$. what was the prob with the way it was when I went through? (accredited flight schools anywhere pretty much)

There's no (extra) travel money involved, all SNAs are at one of those places eventually. Most Academy mids do IFS their senior year in Annapolis, Marines do it after graduating TBS in Quantico (Manassas actually), and everyone else does it when they get to Pensacola (spread out over the schools listed above).

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
There's no (extra) travel money involved, all SNAs are at one of those places eventually. Most Academy mids do IFS their senior year in Annapolis, Marines do it after graduating TBS in Quantico (Manassas actually), and everyone else does it when they get to Pensacola (spread out over the schools listed above).

Interesting that the Navy is having everyone else do it in Pcola. From what I understood, one of the major reasons for IFS was to save the Navy dough by weeding out the selectees who got in a plane for a few hours and decided it wasn't for them. Now the govt is moving them to Pcola and if they drop after/during IFS the govt has the expense of moving them somewhere else...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now the govt is moving them to Pcola and if they drop after/during IFS the govt has the expense of moving them somewhere else...

Which they would have had to do anyway, be it due to a change in designators or a RIF. There's about twelve-thousand posts on the "new" IFS here on the site. The program is now better managed and it's not costing the Navy anything more.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Not to mention alot of the guys that quit/attrite the program early, that I have seen, end up going to schools close by. Like IW here in p-cola.

phrogpilot73

Interesting that the Navy is having everyone else do it in Pcola. From what I understood, one of the major reasons for IFS was to save the Navy dough by weeding out the selectees who got in a plane for a few hours and decided it wasn't for them. Now the govt is moving them to Pcola and if they drop after/during IFS the govt has the expense of moving them somewhere else...
The intent is still there. One hour in a 152 is drastically cheaper fuel and maintainance-wise than one hour in a T-34.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
The article said "The 35-year-old pilot and a 19-year-old student on board were not injured.". So how do they get their headline from that? Sensationalism at it's best!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The intent is still there. One hour in a 152 is drastically cheaper fuel and maintainance-wise than one hour in a T-34.
Of course there was another way. Back when we had T-34Bs at the NRDs every aviation applicant had to go flying. That was our chance to evaluated their aviation adaptability. It was not as good a screening tool as taking a guy through solo like IFS. But, they did acro and flew with a real naval aviator. When I was an applicant my A-7 driver recruiter took me through the engine out profiles, bombing run ins on a damn, road recce, and lots of acro. They were used as a recruiting/motivational tool as well. Lots of OCS selectees got to fly to airshows with their recruiters or to far a way campuses to help with testing and presentations. It kept the aviator recruiters happy and reasonably current. All for a lot less money then IFS. When the T-34Cs go away maybe we can hope for a few getting chopped to CRUITCOM. May not be affordable for every NRD, but maybe on a regional basis or for the very large NRDs. Photo circa 1984, working the airshow circuit.

Attachments

• Recruiting T-34B.jpg
    Recruiting T-34B.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 84

phrogpilot73

Of course there was another way. Back when we had T-34Bs at the NRDs every aviation applicant had to go flying. That was our chance to evaluated their aviation adaptability...
Marine Corps does something similar in this day and age... The flying OSO. Good deal that mostly gets snatched up by helo guys. King Air & Bell 206 at their disposal to woo prospective PLC/OCC candidates. My buddie's doing it now and loves it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine Corps does something similar in this day and age... The flying OSO. Good deal that mostly gets snatched up by helo guys. King Air & Bell 206 at their disposal to woo prospective PLC/OCC candidates. My buddie's doing it now and loves it.

No sh!t, a King Air and Bell 206! Wow, what a deal. Back when I was an active recruiter a Marine aviator recruiter in our part of the country had a brand new Mooney painted in Red, Blue and Gold. It was a beautiful aircraft, but simply not military enough.