• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

18K for a rifle ??!!?? Wanna see what it looks like ... ???

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Good information

You're absolutely correct. That's what happens when I get in to a hurry and fail to do my research. My experience with them is solely from afar at the range. I have yet to have the honor of shooting one or tearing it apart.

</fail>

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A PSL is an AK on steroids and is not in anyway, shape, or form comparable to an SVD/Dragunov/NDM-86, since we're 'fine-tuning' the discussion. PSL's are the entry level way to own a "Dragunov" wanna-be and there's nothing inherently WRONG w/ that ... but it's NOT a Dragunov SVD.

The PSL's a squad-level 'designated marksman' rifle ... NOT a 'tweaked' sniper-stick married to a guy who took a year off for training to become a 'sniper'. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It has a gas system like an AK series with the gas piston being attached to the bolt carrier. The ROMAK 3 (ROManian Avtomat K[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]alashnikov) was made at the Regia Autonoma de Tehnicå Militarå (RATMIL)and had their bayonet lugs removed to meet import restrictions.[/FONT]
It's just your garden-variety Commie long gun stick that a 'good shot' squad-guy can pick up and make righteous kills with at 400+ yards ...

A Norinco NDM-86 is an EXACT copy of the Soviet Dragunov ... which when mated to 'satisfactory' optics and an 'above-average' Commie marksman ... can conceivably reach out and touch you at @ 800-1000 yards. And that ain't bad ...

Another 'problem' w/ the Commie Dragunovs is the 7.62x54mm cartridge, it's just simply not as accurate as a 7.62x51 NATO cartridge, whether it be match or military fodder. That's why my two NDM's are in .308 and that's why they are basically MOA rifles ...

In any case, they are NOT in the same league as the US/NATO sniper rifles and they were never intended to be ... think Commie peasants ... AK's ... T-34's ... Stormoviks ... borscht ... etc, etc.

And don't ever denigrate a Garand 'long stroke' as not being inherently 'accurate'!!! I've got a couple of NM Garands, and they are tack drivers ... :)

Take a man + give him a well built rifle + a proper cartridge + much training + more practice = a good shot.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Oddly enough it looks like the Russian methodology turned out to be correct (at least during the height of Iraq).

Funny because many of those guys in Iraq were Chechen and honed their skills shooting Russians first.