• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

18 Oct 2003 for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaerose

I guess that means I'll hold off on purchasing my ticket home...lol. Maybe I'll request that for Christmas, since I'll be taking a pay cut at OCS.

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Not all of us will be taking a paycut...(hehehe) Yeah, thanks for the gouge there Ginny...I was going to purchase my tickets very soon. I think I'll just hold off for a little while. Please post if you hear more info though...

D

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Hey guys (and gals),

Is our forum dead or what? I mean, we have less than 5 weeks left before OCS starts, and there hasn't been too much commmunication!! What has everyone been doing? Anything new? Well, I've been reading other OCS class date forums, and I read an interesting hint. Buy some Swiffer sheets (the static things) so we can keep our lockers clean during inspections. I thought that was brilliant. Just makes our life a little easier.

So far, I think I counted 15 people in our class that frequent this site. That's pretty small compared to other classes (I think). I know the 02Aug03 class had 50 people in their class. I know there are many more out there with the same date, but it's nice to know that some people are already researching before they reach that dreadful day.

I think it might be easier on us if we kinda get to know one another on a communication level. If someone has something new or interesting that they found out and wanna share, post it on here. Help everyone out in their preparation for OCS. What do you think?

D

slabman

SNA Primary (Whiting)
What's up future Officers,
I recently had to take a PRT for my recruiter to make sure I was in shape. I was glad that my hard work has paid off and I have already surpassed the out PRT standards. Has anyone else had to take a PRT is that a standard that all recruiters have to do. I suggest we all bring some cleaning supplies and leave them in our cars. Things such as brass polish, pledge, and windex will be invaluable before our inspections. I was in the Air force, and although bootcamp wasn't that bad I do remember that everyone was very stressed during the big inspections. Does anyone want to be in charge of picking a hotel for us all to stay at. I am not going to arrive in Pensacola until Saturday around noon, so maybe someone who is arriving earlier in the week should pick a place.

Jared

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I did read that other classes were staying at the Comfort Inn off of Pensacola Beach. I visited that area (and stayed on the beach too), and the hotel doesn't look too bad. Nice area. I believe the prices are reasonable, and if you have a "bunk-mate", the price would be even more bearable. There is one very small downside to staying at a hotel off Pensacola Beach area. There is a toll bridge that you have to cross to get to the beach, it costs 50 cents, and every store/place to eat/everything else is on the OTHER side of the bridge. The only things that are on the Pensacola Beach side are hotels and condos and lots of sand (and pretty women). It doesn't matter to me, just a thought. More than likely, I should be there on Wed. night or Thursday morning.

D

tvan

If anyone is interested, I put my computer science degree to work and wrote a study/testing program to help me memorize the big 4. If anyone else wants it, I could try and figure out how to get it to you, once I totally finish it (which should only be a day or two). If any of you do programming and have java installed, I could get it to you easily. For the rest of you I could figure something out. Be aware that I wrote it for myself and its not the most user-friendly or robust program, but it has helped me so far and I figure it might help someone else. Let me know if you're interested.

jaerose

What language did you write it in? I'll take a copy...try to email it to me to my 'big' email account...I PM'd it to you. Thanks. Can we post reviews? J/K.

Side note, we definitely need to get very, very motivated and become an awesome class! I'm sure we all want to excel at OCS and beyond...and let's not forget that our class date (18OCT...ok, we start on the 19th, but you know)is the first class date after the Navy turns 228 on the 13th! That's pretty exciting...to be a part of such a long and rich tradition. Just thought I'd share some excitement.

JR

BTW, D_Mac...our command is having a celebration for that on the 18th...figures we won't get to go to the only cool thing going on...lol!

txpike

a little motivation.....
I had lunch last week with my long time family friend Capt. Gene Cernan, aka the last guy to walk on the moon. But anyways he was trying to give me some motivation about how naval aviators where the best.....etc, etc. and he went on to tell me that The first man in space was a naval aviator, the first man to orbit the earth was a naval aviator, the first man to orbit the moon was a naval aviator, the first man on the moon was a naval aviator, the last man on the moon was a naval aviator, five out of the six lunar landings where commanded by naval aviators, the first shuttle commander was a naval aviator, the first shuttle commander after the challenger disaster was a naval aviator, and the first shuttle commander after the most recent disater will be a naval aviator. He went on to say that it was not pure luck that they put the most important missions in NASA onto naval aviators to be commanded and that is why you should strive so hard to be your best. He went on to say if you cannot surivive 13 weeks of OCS, then we most definitely don't want you as a naval aviator.

Let me know where everybody is going to stay on sat. night.
trav

jaerose

Oh, and if you watch the movie 'The Core,' you'll notice the shuttle commander in the movie is a Naval Aviator...even the hollywood jerks know what's up! BTW, I met the NASA test pilot who's testing the elastic wing on an F-18...also a former Naval Aviator!

JR

gin_e

Ok, hopefully this is the final word on Christmas Leave dates:

From the 08-04 Class Officer:

From the Director's meeting yesterday...

Christmas holiday is as follows:

-18 Dec (Thurs) 1600, candidates can fly out, if driving they can leave the morning of the 19th Dec.

-Candidate Officers must return Friday, 02 Jan by 2359 to prep for new class reporting.

-Officer Candidates must return Sunday, 04 Jan by 1600.

You will not be a Candidate Officer before Christmas leave. Remember, you will not have earned this many leave days, and you must settle your negative leave balance by payment before you graduate.

tvan

Update on my little program: I've finished it, other than some things I may add later. I am now trying to figure out how I'll get it to run on a different setup than what I have. I'll hopefully figure that out today and then mail it out to all of you...

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Thanks gin_e on the christmas dates. I think I feel confident now on purchasing tickets for Christmas. Gin_E, have you heard anything about the Dining out? That will be another day that I'll have to buy tickets for, because hopefully my wife will be showing up. Anyone else know what day this is? It's not important right now, just curious.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.