• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17 Sept 2018 IWC DCO Board

bryanteagle6

Yeah, I'd tread lightly on that with anyone with whom you drilled with when you were Enlisted. The last thing you want to do is to get chummy.

One of my buddies that is a SCPO for my local unit is one of my references and has been one of the main ppl to push me to keep applying. The good news is there are 3 different units at that location, so maybe Ill get a different unit but still get to learn from him!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
One of my buddies that is a SCPO for my local unit is one of my references and has been one of the main ppl to push me to keep applying. The good news is there are 3 different units at that location, so maybe Ill get a different unit but still get to learn from him!
If you are commissioned from a particular SELRES unit they are supposed to move you to a different unit.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I told my buddy who I served with while enlisted and he asked me to request to drill at his unit!
Recommend against this. First, you need a healthy distance from the E’s. Second, you need to complete DCOIC and your quals, so no sense joining a certain unit yet. Third, the Navy will put you where they put you.

But congrats and welcome.
Yeah, I'd tread lightly on that with anyone with whom you drilled with when you were Enlisted. The last thing you want to do is to get chummy.
^ This.

Last edited:

USNAVY

Recommend against this. First, you need a healthy distance from the E’s. Second, you need to complete DCOIC and your quals, so no sense joining a certain unit yet. Third, the Navy will put you where they put you.

But congrats and welcome.

^ This.
Thank you. My processor said they are going to find me a billet and a unit to drill from. Figured it wouldn't hurt to see if I can drill with an old shipmate not to far away. Excited and looking forward to a new challenge

USNAVY

I think its a great idea to have a mentor at your unit

bryanteagle6

well, Im sure ill have an officer mentor - but the experience from a SCPO is priceless. He did around 10 years active duty and then did a deployment immediately when he joined the Reserves. Now with 17 years experience ------

1538759254826.jpeg

Chance_EDO

Still a Pollywog, not yet a Shellback
Hey guys, I was just notified I was selected to an IP Officer! I was applying for EDO but since they lost my MEPS 4 times, my OR put me in for the IP board the first time (I have no IP certifications) and I was selected. Holy cow!

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Hey guys, I was just notified I was selected to an IP Officer! I was applying for EDO but since they lost my MEPS 4 times, my OR put me in for the IP board the first time (I have no IP certifications) and I was selected. Holy cow!

Holy double cow! Congratulations! That's so awesome!

Chance_EDO

Thanks Sculpin. Now what? I want to be EDO but my OR said I have to wait for the January Board as they lost my MEPS for the June board.
Is the IP and Intel Boards easy to get into without any IP certifications? I'm still shocked I was chosen.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Thanks Sculpin. Now what? I want to be EDO but my OR said I have to wait for the January Board as they lost my MEPS for the June board.
Is the IP and Intel Boards easy to get into without any IP certifications? I'm still shocked I was chosen.

No, CWO / IPO are very difficult to get selected for without IT / infosec certifications and lots of relevant experience to my understanding. I'm a software dude, so naturally I was originally looking into IWC but a number of folks in the community and ORs were saying there's a very slim chance without directly relevant experience. I still remember one OR was giving me details about a couple of the selectees from the last board and it was insane.

bryanteagle6

weird - congrats anyway! I know you can lateral transfer pretty quickly but that is normally within the same community. For example, come in as INTEL then transition into CW later.

Chance_EDO

Hi Sculpin....

Like I said, my MEPS was lost for the EDO June board so my OR then put me in for IP.

I did not prepare my submission for IP nor did I have any IT certificates or put in a specialized application packet.
My application is nothing special in my humble opinion.
In my interview, I answered some questions but was honest and told them I could not remember some of them.
I did not think I would get a chance so I was very honest in my interview answers. Then they selected me the first time around!

Are you sure that IP is tough to get into? Maybe there were 20 who applied and they selected 10 people?
That is the only thing I can think of.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Dude, no offense, but you should strongly consider taking the IP commission. It's a guaranteed way to become a naval officer. They only selected a handful of 1825's this year so if you don't raise your hand, that's one fewer ENS than CNIFR decided was needed.

Congrats by the way. You got picked for a highly, highly competitive field. Being an IP officer will be great. Probably tons of opportunities for you to engineer various comms stuff and get hands-on naval hardware if that's what you wanted out of being an EDO. Ask @bubblehead for more info.