• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

17 Sept 2018 IWC DCO Board

USNAVY

I'm a current IP and from a manning perspective we need more IP's. We've been promoting IP's O4 at an insane clip the last couple of boards. Remember, there are 200 or so IP's in the entire Reserve from O1 - O6.

@Chance_EDO, you were selected, you should consider yourself extremely privileged and fortunate, and frankly, you are an idiot if you do not take this as you will never get another opportunity to commission as the next board will see that you were offered a commission and turned it down.

Keep in mind, you can try to change your designator from IP to EDO after you are fully qualified IP and have your IDWO pin. Recall, I got commissioned as INTEL because it was "easier" (i.e., I was more competitive on paper for INTEL than for IP) than IP back when I was commissioning. I changed my designator to IP. I made O4.

Remember the DCO process has nothing whatsoever to do with your ability to do to job effectively. It's a trumped up shit show that the Navy uses to make it look competitive. If you have 5 slots and 500 applicants, you have to split hairs on competitiveness. And, when you get commissioned, you will be taught what you need to be successful at the job no matter what your DCO competitive package says.

For this go around since they needed more IP's then yes, IP may have been "easier" from a simple numbers perspective. That is, if they needed 10 IP's and 4 EDO's for this board, the competitiveness for EDO's will be more that IP simply because of the number of selections they needed to make.
@bubblehead I am very excited for INTEL - 1835 but I'm thinking about doing a change of designator to IP after I complete my required training. From your experience, how long do you think it will take to be eligible to apply for the change of designator?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
@bubblehead I am very excited for INTEL - 1835 but I'm thinking about doing a change of designator to IP after I complete my required training. From your experience, how long do you think it will take to be eligible to apply for the change of designator?
You just got selected. I would not speak a word of designator change to anyone because you'll quickly be labeled, "that guy" buy both the Intel community and your fellow Intel O's. As I mentioned previously, your business is your business and you have to keep your cards close. Changing also requires the manning numbers for your current designator as well as the designator to which you want to change to be "right" at the rank you are at. Last time I checked IP manning was at or above 100% from O1 - O3.

Re, eligible. You have to be a fully qualified IP and have your IDWO pin. You've got 36 months to attain your IP basic qualification. I think I've mentioned before, getting it done in sooner doesn't get you anywhere either.

Chance_EDO

Still a Pollywog, not yet a Shellback

Hey USNavy, you want to exchange positions with me? My OR said I met all the requirements for EDO but I ended up in IP. I want the EDO role as I am interested in shipbuilding plus I get to be on a ship for a week as part of EDO training.

Before I got a chance to apply for EDO in January, they put me in for the IP panel and I was selected.

I know how you feel as I am in the same dilemma through no fault of my own. They messed up my MEPS paperwork that led to them putting me in for IP before the EDO board rolled around in January. I am like you, I am in a dilemma.

Chance_EDO

Still a Pollywog, not yet a Shellback

bryanteagle6

Hey USNavy, you want to exchange positions with me? My OR said I met all the requirements for EDO but I ended up in IP. I want the EDO role as I am interested in shipbuilding plus I get to be on a ship for a week as part of EDO training.

Before I got a chance to apply for EDO in January, they put me in for the IP panel and I was selected.

I know how you feel as I am in the same dilemma through no fault of my own. They messed up my MEPS paperwork that led to them putting me in for IP before the EDO board rolled around in January. I am like you, I am in a dilemma.

Im pretty sure you can do tradesies like on the playground! ha

Maybe you should call the Army based on your picture - do they have EDO type Branch?

Last edited:

USNAVY

You just got selected. I would not speak a word of designator change to anyone because you'll quickly be labeled, "that guy" buy both the Intel community and your fellow Intel O's. As I mentioned previously, your business is your business and you have to keep your cards close. Changing also requires the manning numbers for your current designator as well as the designator to which you want to change to be "right" at the rank you are at. Last time I checked IP manning was at or above 100% from O1 - O3.

Re, eligible. You have to be a fully qualified IP and have your IDWO pin. You've got 36 months to attain your IP basic qualification. I think I've mentioned before, getting it done in sooner doesn't get you anywhere either.
My goal is to become a fully qualified 1835 with my IWC pin. After that I will reassess what my options are. Looking forward and excited

bryanteagle6

Rough process...
Im new to this process too. But the phone call was to let you know the board selected you. Then they start the scoll process through approval from DOD, was approved millington will sent a Final Select letter basically saying you can commission. The commission docs are then put together by your OR/NRD to sign and get to it!

USNAVY

I don't think it's possible to switch Lol. But seriously take the Commission or you'll never get another chance, at least in the IWC. Best community hands down in the USN. It still hasn't fully sunk in that this is really happening!