• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

OfficerHopeful

Yea, having a 2 yo and another on the way before heading to sea duty, best to have family readily accessible, but not too close at the same time! Definitely get that overseas tour in while single, I did Cuba myself.

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
Okay so at OCS I know that they will take all the SWOs in a room and they will decide based off of available billets where to be stationed and it can be the station or ship etc. Does anyone or everyone want to give their opinions for SWO stations and SWO ships in order or best to worst or their top three or five? Just a thought!

I really wanted to participate and answer this question, but as a non-prior, I literally have no idea. Haha. I'll look into it and get back to you. Do you have your list in the interim?

OfficerHopeful

Norfolk and San Diego are the largest concentration of ships. Mayport, FL and there closer of bases near Kitsap, WA are next. Pearl harbor, Japan, rota are the overseas options, and possibly the LCC ship in Italy. Bahrain has a couple of smaller ships as well.

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
Norfolk and San Diego are the largest concentration of ships. Mayport, FL and there closer of bases near Kitsap, WA are next. Pearl harbor, Japan, rota are the overseas options, and possibly the LCC ship in Italy. Bahrain has a couple of smaller ships as well.

I see. So is this something we should know going in? Like where we'd prefer to end up? If that's the case, it sounds like I need to start researching these options and figuring out a preferred game plan now...

NavalAzzam

I see. So is this something we should know going in? Like where we'd prefer to end up? If that's the case, it sounds like I need to start researching these options and figuring out a preferred game plan now...
I'm also a non prior. My recruiter sent me 4 career path PDFs to my email I can send ya if you'd like. It talks about family, the different SWO ports, ships, different careers paths. You should try and get an idea of either the kind of ship or area you want to be at but no rush. At OCS there could be a variety of options. Maybe zero options at Pearl or maybe all of them. Maybe 2 for Bahrain, 1 for WA, 3 for Japan, and 2 for Norfolk. Just have and idea take into account your relationship/family/friends situation. Hopefully we may learn more at OCS. I'll probably ask the class LT as well.

jkrambler

I'm also a non prior. My recruiter sent me 4 career path PDFs to my email I can send ya if you'd like. It talks about family, the different SWO ports, ships, different careers paths. You should try and get an idea of either the kind of ship or area you want to be at but no rush. At OCS there could be a variety of options. Maybe zero options at Pearl or maybe all of them. Maybe 2 for Bahrain, 1 for WA, 3 for Japan, and 2 for Norfolk. Just have and idea take into account your relationship/family/friends situation. Hopefully we may learn more at OCS. I'll probably ask the class LT as well.

I am also a non-prior so that pdf about the different places would be great to have and just start looking at ideas!

NavalAzzam

Alright I've been messing around and it finally let me post them to this thread!

Attachments

• SWO training options.pdf
    294.1 KB · Views: 63
  • SWO_CAREER_CHART_FACT_SHEET.pdf
    349.4 KB · Views: 53
  • SWO Community Brief.pptx
    751.8 KB · Views: 47
  • SWO_CAREER_CHART.pdf
    944.9 KB · Views: 58
  • SWO_Spouse_Brief_1503.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 40

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
On another note, do you guys think it's possible to become physically exhausted from playing the waiting game/being stuck in final select purgatory? I'm starting to wonder. I'm preeeettty worn out, and I literally just PT and study appendix B all day every day...lol.

SeaReaver

On another note, do you guys think it's possible to become physically exhausted from playing the waiting game/being stuck in final select purgatory? I'm starting to wonder. I'm preeeettty worn out, and I literally just PT and study appendix B all day every day...lol.
Yup. Every three weeks I look at my phone hoping this will be the day my recruiter tells me that my FINSEL has arrived. Then, when the phone doesn't ring, I pick up appendix B, go the the gym, or go for a swim. Every time it gets a little harder, but this, too, shall pass.

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
Ok, so after a little bit of research, here are my top 5 ships and homeports. Not sure exactly how I'm supposed to lay this out, but here goes nothin'.

As far as ships, I'd rank them as:
1. DDG
2. CG
3. LHA
4. LHD
5. LPD

Homeports:
1. San Diego, CA
2. Rota, Spain
3. Pearl Harbor, HI
4. Mayport, FL
5. Everett, WA

Also, that new USS Zumwalt looks bad fucking ass!

SeaReaver

Top 5 Ships:
1. DDG
2. CG
3. LHA
4. MCM
5. LPD

Top 5 homeports:
1. San Diego, California
2. Yokosuka, Japan
3. Rota, Spain
4. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii