• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 May 2017 SWO Board

exNavyOffRec

Just curious does anyone know if earning a "certificate" will be an advantage for OCS board selection? The reason I am asking is I want to push on to the next level but don't want to invest all the way into a Master's because of time and the "not knowing and waiting " factor of being picked up for OCS.

Example: Lets say I don't get picked for a couple of cycles and then don't leave for OCS for sometime, I then could of accomplished something "productive" during that wait time period.

No, degree and GPA are what is important, they spend very little time reviewing each application, those things are what will stand out.

GuamLife1

No, degree and GPA are what is important, they spend very little time reviewing each application, those things are what will stand out.

Roger that, and thank you for the feedback. I hope they at least look at my recommendations which are from a few 05/06-SWO's. Hopefully the enlisted guys get a few more points for good behavior and time already served.
V/R Guamlife

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Roger that, and thank you for the feedback. I hope they at least look at my recommendations which are from a few 05/06-SWO's. Hopefully the enlisted guys get a few more points for good behavior and time already served.
V/R Guamlife

Not really. Once again, the board spends maybe 4-5 mins tops reviewing each application. More commonly they just filter applications on OAR score and GPA.

exNavyOffRec

V/R Guamlife

Like RUFIO said minutes, in some cases 4-5 minutes is very generous considering many times in previous boards they have reviewed 300 applications in one day, so if you figure they were there for 8 hours that is 480 minutes, so not much time at all, if your GPA and OAR don't make you stand out then it is really a toss up. They often barely scan LOR's, and unfortunately often enlisted have a lower selection rate than those coming in off the street.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
It's a bit early as the board hasn't even convened yet, but I have recorded the most up-to-date Appendix B in .mp3 if anyone is interested. I promise my voice isn't annoying haha. Auditory retention is a big one and I have a 30 minute drive to work every morning so I figured others may be interested as well. Let me know and I'll figure out how to share .mp3 files with you all :).

Jun Chen

They often barely scan LOR's, and unfortunately often enlisted have a lower selection rate than those coming in off the street

Is there a particular reason for prior-enlisted/current enlisted having lower selection rates? Is just based on the relative package compared to those 'off-the-street'? Or do they not consider enlisted service a 'bonus' during the selection process?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Is there a particular reason for prior-enlisted/current enlisted having lower selection rates? Is just based on the relative package compared to those 'off-the-street'? Or do they not consider enlisted service a 'bonus' during the selection process?

@NavyOffRec can add his take but many enlisted have low GPAs or struggle getting through the OAR/ASTB.

exNavyOffRec

RUFIO hit the ones that really matter.

Most boards doesn't care about if a person is prior or not, it is all about the best qualified, if a person has struggled through college how will they do as an officer in a high stress environment, they have to go with the odds.

Jun Chen

Very well, the logic is sound. I assumed that being prior/current enlisted was extra 'points', thanks for clearing that up.

Ronin88

Checking in. This is my first time applying and I hope to get my package in on this board! Not sure if SWO is in my direct future though as it is my 3rd choice, but I hope the board will still consider me. Also submitting for the JUN 17 IWC board. Good luck to everyone!

exNavyOffRec

Checking in. This is my first time applying and I hope to get my package in on this board! Not sure if SWO is in my direct future though as it is my 3rd choice, but I hope the board will still consider me. Also submitting for the JUN 17 IWC board. Good luck to everyone!

If you haven't seen RUFIO's post, if SWO is 3rd it will not be considered.

Ace4Life

I was bored so I decided to start a spreadsheet with the information of the people who have checked in to this thread. There are only 13 of us, so there's no point in trying to use fancy statistics, but I thought some of you might find it interesting. All of the information used to make this spreadsheet is publicly available in the users' profiles.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/122wiSFUQtZ_o3QhSjFOyb2YfZghoVn26AXABrrR9ovY/edit?usp=sharing

Interesting facts about our small sample:
1) Of the 13 subjects 4 posses competitive scores in both OAR and GPA
2) Of the 13 subjects 6 posses a competitive GPA
3) Of the 13 subjects 7 posses a competitive OAR
4) Of the 13 subjects 3 have had prior military service
5) The mean age is 23.86, the median age is 24, the mode ages are 24 and 21, the oldest subject is 28, the youngest subjects are 21
6) Of the 13 subjects 2 are female

My age is 26.

Ace4Life

Ronin, where you stationed at? I'm a CTT2 on the Lincoln.