• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 Books and NO guidance

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
In the mean time, I had 75 Enlisted Sailors on hold who were expected to PT and participate in uniform inspections while doing everything from mopping floors to writing the flight schedule for a fraction of the pay. Nothing taxes my patience like an Officer who spends the entire 120 seconds of their "work day" to wine at my Yeoman (who puts in a nine hour day) about having to drive all the way to work.

Actually...I whined as an enlisted guy too...;)

I hear ya Chief...it gets old fast. Actually, it was my least favorite thing about being in submarines..."A bi#$%ing sailor is a happy sailor." He might be happy, but everyone around him wants to kill him.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Stubby said:
Officers on hold simply had to drag their sorry butts out of bed, throw on a flight suit and spend two minutes showing their face to one of my Yeoman for muster.

It usually took me another 2 minutes to shave...

Nothing taxes my patience like an Officer who spends the entire 120 seconds of their "work day" to wine at my Yeoman (who puts in a nine hour day) about having to drive all the way to work.

True, but if there were jobs that could be done by the officers, you wouldn't have this problem. Also, chief, remember that the main job of the RAG is to get them to know the A/C...I'd recommend talking to the CMC to talk to the big dogs about possibly making them assistant branchO...that is something that I would have enjoyed getting into when I showed up....as long as it's not interfering with their mastery of the Plane. If the wait is that long, is there any tasking that the command can get for them or classes you can send them to in the area? (MO school or the like, perhaps...)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Over studies....got jets.

Duly noted.

There are plenty of people who over studied and didn't get jets, or helos or whatever else they wanted as their top choice... A lot of it is luck and timing... and natural ability.

I knew guys who seemed to know everything about NATOPS EPs etc in primary, but got attrited because they had no stick skills, or got sick. Not that they weren't doing everything they could to be better, it was just beyond their ability to perform the way they needed to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stubby said:

I currently work in the Aircrew Training Division at the P-3 RAG, but until recently I was the Student Control Chief. Officers on hold simply had to drag their sorry butts out of bed, throw on a flight suit and spend two minutes showing their face to one of my Yeoman for muster.

In the mean time, I had 75 Enlisted Sailors on hold who were expected to PT and participate in uniform inspections while doing everything from mopping floors to writing the flight schedule for a fraction of the pay. Nothing taxes my patience like an Officer who spends the entire 120 seconds of their "work day" to wine at my Yeoman (who puts in a nine hour day) about having to drive all the way to work.

I don't care what you do on hold. All I ask is that when you do actually show your face at "work" you act like a leader.

People in glass houses, chief... Don't get me started about the goat locker, especially where PT is concerned. ;)

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
There are plenty of people who over studied and didn't get jets, or helos or whatever else they wanted as their top choice... A lot of it is luck and timing... and natural ability.

I knew guys who seemed to know everything about NATOPS EPs etc in primary, but got attrited because they had no stick skills, or got sick. Not that they weren't doing everything they could to be better, it was just beyond their ability to perform the way they needed to.

Of course. I knew I should have thrown some smileys in there.

SlickAg

pilot
I was thinking I should study the Emergency procedures and and the NATOPS Flight Manual for the T-34, as well as OPNAV 3710. Am I shooting in the right direction, or in the dark?

I'm not sure if it was conduct while on hold so much as "should I study ahead?".

Taz24th

Proud member of Class 903
SingDixieGoNavy,

Having two weeks before you class up there, I don't have clear answer about studying ahead of time, me being a person who definitely over-studies and frequently. However, I would always rather be over-prepared then under-prepared in this business. Being just one of the many A-pool members here in NASC, I'm sure my advice about studying doesn't hold any clout. However, I can pass on some organizational tips from Bryan Weatherup that may ease your mind. I am not taking credit for this approach, but just spreading the word.

1) NATOPS Set-up
a) Get an account with 4.0 Airworthiness at https://www.natec.navy.mil. This website lists any changes to the current NATOPS so you don't have to keep destroying your original copy when the LOEPs come in. Use this also to print-out the 1) Limits sections (print it in color), 2) EPs, 3) system diagrams, 4) checklists (Normal Ops and any avionics equipment like GPS, NACWS, etc...), and 5) any Warnings/Cautions/Notes in the back.
b) Photocopy any sections out of the NATOPS (Systems, Normal Procedures, etc...) that you may want to study.
c) Get a good size binder to fit all this in using a logical order (probably how it is set-up in the actual NATOPs) and in the back of each section put any "reliable" gouge you may get from previous students.
2) Create your own gouge manuals (Bryan suggested spiral notebooks, but I'd reccomend just a 1/2" to 1" binder)
a) NAS Whiting Course Rules (Use an extra TPC to layout a visual reference to the TW5 SOPs description of the course rules; I think its CH3, but someone verify that for me)
b) Manuever Description Guide (I believe there spread out in the Contact pub, but just get the basic transitions, takeoff/landing, course rules (entry/departure), CABT, and OLF entry/departure down first; worry abour the rest later)
c) Combine any SOPs (base, wing& squadron) into one binder, so you know where they are and don't have to track down one or the other when they are really needed.

Final note. Every pilot that I talked to told me that if you know your EPs down cold, your well ahead of the game. The comment about getting familiar with the cockpit (instrument placement, and controls) while using your PCL is a great tip (should help prepare you for the blind-fold test you'll have to do), and every squadron should have a static trainer you can sit in to accomplish this. Take the advice or leave it, either way the Navy will teach you everything you need to know, when you need to know it. Good luck SingDixieGoNavy, and FLY NAVY:D !!!

Cannot wait to be in your shoes,

-Taz24th

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
c) Combine any SOPs (base, wing& squadron) into one binder, so you know where they are and don't have to track down one or the other when they are really needed.

Just be aware that, depending on your squadron, you may need to have the SOP in your NATOPS. Doesn't mean you can't have a copy of it to use like you said.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Where do I start? I have lot of books but most of them seem to speak in code. I was thinking I should study.....

I spent waaaaayy too much time in pools. NEVER CRACKED A BOOK. Neither did 99% of my "buds". We enjoyed every day of our leisure time, serene in the knowledge that it would end soon ....

The guys who obsessed and studied when they didn't know what/how to study (didn't know the Navy way, at least) were frequently the worst sticks --- and that's where it counts --- in the cockpit. At best, they were well represented amongst the average STUDS.

Do you suppose the "obsessive" personalities don't do as well in a cockpit atmosphere ... ??? :)

RELAX ... and enjoy the time off. You will get all the guidance and direction you need once the process starts. Like you said ... it's in code.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I spent waaaaayy too much time in pools. NEVER CRACKED A BOOK. Neither did 99% of my "buds". We enjoyed every day of our leisure time, serene in the knowledge that it would end soon ....

The guys who obsessed and studied when they didn't know what/how to study (didn't know the Navy way, at least) were frequently the worst sticks --- and that's where it counts --- in the cockpit. At best, they were well represented amongst the average STUDS.

Do you suppose the "obsessive" personalities don't do as well in a cockpit atmosphere ... ??? :)

RELAX ... and enjoy the time off. You will get all the guidance and direction you need once the process starts. Like you said ... it's in code.
RELAX? where is the procedure for relaxing found? is it one of the books? which one? what is the average NSS for relaxing?

but, all joking aside, A4s is again sage-like in his wisdom. go drink some beers and the books will be there when you need them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The guys who obsessed and studied when they didn't know what/how to study (didn't know the Navy way, at least) were frequently the worst sticks --- and that's where it counts

A4s, while on the whole, I agree, one thing that I don't want new studs to take away from this thread is that all you need to do is fly well and you're good to go through the program.

I (and many other IPs) don't care if you're Chuck Yeager in the cockpit, if you don't know your procedures, you're wasting our time. And don't think people haven't gotten unsats for procedures even when they can nail a 5 in the landing pattern by FAM 6. Off my soapbox.