• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

15 Books and NO guidance

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
Howdy folks,

I just checked into TW-5 and picked up my stack of 200 books (well it seemed like 200, but technically it was only 15 or so). I went to all the briefings, listened to the commodore speak, and dropped off my medical records. I was told to phone muster every morning and sent on my way. However, I have about 2 weeks until I start, and nothing to do (besides beer drinking and the beach). I feel, however, that instead of drinking beer and going to the beach i should be doing something useful. To all you folks who are in primary, or have completed primary--Where do I start? I have lot of books but most of them seem to speak in code. I was thinking I should study the Emergency procedures and and the NATOPS Flight Manual for the T-34, as well as OPNAV 3710. Am I shooting in the right direction, or in the dark? I would appreciate any advice ya'll may have that would keep me productive. Thanks for your help, and I look forward to your responses!

Ensign Salutes to All,
D

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
No slight to you, but this is covered ad nauseum on this website. But in the interests of hastening your visits to the beach and enjoying $1 Bushwhacker Thursdays at the Docks...DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

They will teach you what you need to know in class...Seriously.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you guys spent as much time trying to get laid as you did worrying about sh!t you don't need to worry about, the world would be a better place....well, that is as long as you don't procreate.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I didn't even know what the 3710 was til I was in HTs. Don't worry about that one, and have fun like everyone else says.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Since you guys are a bit closer than the guys who are trying to study RI procedures before API, I'll say this. Focus on your EPs if you want something to look at. The systems book has a lot of info in it, but a lot of it won't really make sense until the class. The EPs can be beneficial to look at, but again, you have to know what you're reading, so if you want to devote some time, take your NATOPS, PCL, and a buddy and go sit in the Procedural trainers and just look stuff over. Don't worry about memorizing stuff yet, but just get familiar w/ where everything is.

Much more than that (and I'm talking a half-hour to an hour a day, 3 days a week, absolutely max), and you're working too hard.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From someone who over-studies at times.... go drink and have fun. The pain will begin shortly.

navy05

To you guys who just checked into TW5,
I'm on my way there mid-Sept. Do you know if TW5 will let you take leave and push back whatever training start date they had set for you. I know flight management did this in A-pool but wasn't sure about Primary. I check in mid-Sept and would like to take leave for a week mid-Oct to be involved in a family member's wedding. Is this possible?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
To you guys who just checked into TW5,
I'm on my way there mid-Sept. Do you know if TW5 will let you take leave and push back whatever training start date they had set for you. I know flight management did this in A-pool but wasn't sure about Primary. I check in mid-Sept and would like to take leave for a week mid-Oct to be involved in a family member's wedding. Is this possible?

You will have to talk to the ladies at the Wing, they either will or will not be able to accommodate you simple as that. best of luck though...

On the topic of studying early...you know I hate to bring opposition to the great advice here but as someone who is not "mechanically" inclined it was a real help to start studying early on, obviously enjoy your time off but a good 2 hours a day 4 days a week looking at Systems and EPs won't hurt if you are so inclined. When looking at EPs use the systems book to try to explain why you do each step.

As everyone says the pain will start soon, but there are a lot of your peers who might have an edge on you with they ability to learn mechanical systems early on...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I was thinking I should study the Emergency procedures and and the NATOPS Flight Manual for the T-34

Dude, you're so off course it's not even funny. Why the hell would you ever need to know anything in NATOPS?? Or EPs, for that matter...

Shot in the dark is right...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is the simple solution: Do you have friends if yes are they ahead of you in the program if yes ask them. That coupled with the gouge here should be pretty good and oh by the way you have to help out the next guy behind you in training for if you dont noone will like you and your aviation career will be short and lonely

pdx

HSM Pilot
I didn't even know what the 3710 was til I was in HTs. Don't worry about that one, and have fun like everyone else says.

In primary, I was issued a 3710, but never used it.

Now in the HTs, I need the 3710 all the time, but I have to go read it in the pubs room. OK, I don't need it all the time, but often enough.

I want my d**n copy of the 3710 back!

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
In primary, I was issued a 3710, but never used it.

Now in the HTs, I need the 3710 all the time, but I have to go read it in the pubs room. OK, I don't need it all the time, but often enough.

I want my d**n copy of the 3710 back!

CLICK HERE

(or right click and save as...)

Get used to the electronic copy...

Reactions: pdx