• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 JUN 17 IWC Board

moveslikemorgan

Standing By
Morgan, I appreciate that more than you realize. I'm taking some time first, but I do believe I've decided to retest and then make the 18AUG deadline for the last Intel board on the schedule RUFiO posted.

I think that's a wonderful idea. Keep on keepin' on. If you know what you want, go get it, gal. Don't give up on what you know you want most. I think that kind of determination and diligence is exactly what they are looking for. It will pay off in the long run. You've got this, and I really believe that. You know what to expect on the OAR this time around, so just buckle down and do what it takes to get where you want to be. I don't think that will be as issue for you honestly, just based on what I've seen from you so far on this site. Remember. Persevere, persevere, persevere. Work hard and show them you're not giving up, no matter what they throw at you. That's the kind of thing that gets you very, very far in this life. You've got what it takes, don't forget it. You can do anything you put your mind to!

exNavyOffRec

I see. Not sure how to word this question, but I'll try. Since I've been turned down once you say it decreases likelihood of selection? Why is that? How much of a decrease are we talking? And this is regardless of an OAR improvement?

Ultimately, I want to serve. Before I started college after I graduated high school in 2008, I tried to enlist, and kept trying throughout college but I was too fat. I've lost 100 pounds for this. I just want to serve. Specifically in the Intel community. I thought I'd use the expensive paper I earned to try for a commission, but if it comes down to it, I'm enlisting. Maybe that makes me unusual to do, instead of applying for a surer bet like SWO over my true goal just to earn an O rank, but that's me.

It is just one of those things, we pulled the data several years ago and the chances of people getting picked up that applied before is lower, there are many theories why but one must remember that for every board there are always new people submitting with just as good professional records.

There are many that would like to use that expensive piece of paper for any good paying job so if you have a chance to go SWO why not go for it? Why go enlisted? I review lots of resume's each day and I have lost track how many people with non-tech degrees that are currently working as barista's, target cashiers, telemarketers, etc..... you have what sounds like a decent paying job so I think enlisted might take you back a bit pay wise.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I see. Not sure how to word this question, but I'll try. Since I've been turned down once you say it decreases likelihood of selection? Why is that? How much of a decrease are we talking? And this is regardless of an OAR improvement?

Ultimately, I want to serve. Before I started college after I graduated high school in 2008, I tried to enlist, and kept trying throughout college but I was too fat. I've lost 100 pounds for this. I just want to serve. Specifically in the Intel community. I thought I'd use the expensive paper I earned to try for a commission, but if it comes down to it, I'm enlisting. Maybe that makes me unusual to do, instead of applying for a surer bet like SWO over my true goal just to earn an O rank, but that's me.

With the growing battle with cyber warfare, hacking, etc etc Intel wants more officers with a technical background, hence STEM. Additionally, as an Intel Officer you will very likely be working with Cryptology Officers and IPs who have very techincal backgrounds, having that STEM background helps out with that. As @NavyOffRec said, STEM to non-STEM in these boards is about 60/40 though I've seen it 70/30 at times.

Going the enlisted route also has its risks. The active duty folks on here can tell you, getting a Intel-related job is no guarantee. You will need to ace the ASVAB and depending on your timing at MEPS there might, might be Intel jobs available. If not and you pass up the opportunity to join good luck ever working with an enlisted recruiter because you just wasted someone else's time. If you do go enlisted, it will be a while until you can submit your OCS package - you will need to complete RTC, A-school, and some qualifications to earn that COs LOR and pursue a package. Also, its harder to submit a package while active duty than off the streets. You don't have a recruiter and your career counselor will more than likely have no idea what to do.

Going to the SWO topic and not to sound personal but your profile says you're a disgruntled CSI. So if you can't land Intel, are you gonna stay with your shitty job? Being a SWO does have its blemishes, like no sleep and such, but in my opinion you can still do many Intel related duties and even more as a SWO. Communications officer you get a TS-SCI and do many IP-related things. Being a CIC (brains of the ship) and standing the CIC watches you're working with the Intel-O to help out their duties. Also, @azguy can attest but I believe he did his shore duty in an Intel command doing Intel-related work.

Last edited:

jt666

It is just one of those things, we pulled the data several years ago...
Is there data on the boards publicly available? I'd love to see the numbers on these processes, especially because everyone talks about the numbers but it's hard to see.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
IMG_7933.JPG
Is there data on the boards publicly available? I'd love to see the numbers on these processes, especially because everyone talks about the numbers but it's hard to see.

This information is from March 2016. Big change is more 1830 applicants are having STEM-related degrees.

exNavyOffRec

With the growing battle with cyber warfare, hacking, etc etc Intel wants more officers with a technical background, hence STEM. Additionally, as an Intel Officer you will very likely be working with Cryptology Officers and IPs who have very techincal backgrounds, having that STEM background helps out with that. As @NavyOffRec said, STEM to non-STEM in these boards is about 60/40 though I've seen it 70/30 at times.

Going the enlisted route also has its risks. The active duty folks on here can tell you, getting a Intel-related job is no guarantee. You will need to ace the ASVAB and depending on your timing at MEPS there might, might be Intel jobs available. If not and you pass up the opportunity to join good luck ever working with an enlisted recruiter because you just wasted someone else's time. If you do go enlisted, it will be a while until you can submit your OCS package - you will need to complete RTC, A-school, and some qualifications to earn that COs LOR and pursue a package. Also, its harder to submit a package while active duty than off the streets. You don't have a recruiter and your career counselor will more than likely have no idea what to do.

Going to the SWO topic and not to sound personal but your profile says you're a disgruntled CSI. So if you can't land Intel, are you gonna stay with your shitty job? Being a SWO does have its blemishes, like no sleep and such, but in my opinion you can still do many Intel related duties and even more as a SWO. Communications officer you get a TS-SCI and do many IP-related things. Being a CIC (brains of the ship) and standing the CIC watches you're working with the Intel-O to help out their duties. Also, @azguy can attest but I believe he did his shore duty in an Intel command doing Intel-related work.

The Chief Recruiters that were at the NRD when I was told our enlisted recruiters that if a person was "job locked" that they were not to send them to MEPS, and anyone that QNE at MEPS was not going to go down again.

Jun Chen

@LadyAsh This is 100% accurate. When I put together my STA-21 for the MC option, my Chain of Command literally said: "if you want to be an officer you should be able to handle this on your own". This was coming from my chief and SEL. I have a friend that was in your position and decided to pull the trigger on enlisting, and he regrets it.

Haybee

Good day everyone. The results are out and when I checked on bupers, this is exactly what I got. Please does it mean an outright "non-select" or there is still hope?

N – Not professionally recommended/Not best qualified by the community requested.
Y – Professionally recommended. **There is no further action is required on the member’s part. This is not a select at this point.** There are two Yes votes required to be final selected. One vote comes from the community boards (which the Y represents). Next, Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) will now send your medical documents through the medical review process here at NRC for commissioning standards. Once Physically Qualified (PQ) letter is issued we will forward your recommendation to the director of OCS Accessions here at NRC for final review and final vote. If final vote, this is the second vote, is given for selection than your command will be notified via email form the OCS desk here at NRC with Select letter, OCS class date and Service Agreement for the designator that you were final selected for. 
A – Alternate, No action required by member unless called up from ALT list.
Please do not contact the OCS Helpdesk for updates. Your chain-of-command will be notified with final results. If there are any issues with your medical review for commissioning standards, we will contact you directly. If you are contacted for medical issues please print and present the medical review letter to your medical provider so they can address and provide you with the requested documents.
IWC OCS ACCESSIONS JUNE 2017

Anuj Kainth

Good day everyone. The results are out and when I checked on bupers, this is exactly what I got. Please does it mean an outright "non-select" or there is still hope?

N – Not professionally recommended/Not best qualified by the community requested.
Y – Professionally recommended. **There is no further action is required on the member’s part. This is not a select at this point.** There are two Yes votes required to be final selected. One vote comes from the community boards (which the Y represents). Next, Navy Recruiting Command (NRC) will now send your medical documents through the medical review process here at NRC for commissioning standards. Once Physically Qualified (PQ) letter is issued we will forward your recommendation to the director of OCS Accessions here at NRC for final review and final vote. If final vote, this is the second vote, is given for selection than your command will be notified via email form the OCS desk here at NRC with Select letter, OCS class date and Service Agreement for the designator that you were final selected for. 
Please do not contact the OCS Helpdesk for updates. Your chain-of-command will be notified with final results. If there are any issues with your medical review for commissioning standards, we will contact you directly. If you are contacted for medical issues please print and present the medical review letter to your medical provider so they can address and provide you with the requested documents.

What is BUPERS?

OfficerHopeful

Look just under that, it should have a line, and y or n at the end