• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 Dead, 31 Wounded @ FT HOOD

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
IANAC, but all the training I've received has taught "shoot to kill."

Shoot to injure? WTF is that? If you're in a situation where you feel killing is not necessary/justified, you ought not be using that gun in the first place.

For civilians -- 'shoot to stop' the attack is the operative phrase ... even if it takes an entire magazine to 'stop the attack'. :)

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
... in the current hunt/takedown of the SEA-perp who shot and killed the Seattle cop on Halloween night ... yesterday (right after the cop/Army vet's memorial service) SEA SWAT served the 'suspect' w/ a search warrant -- he pulled a gun -- SWAT took him down w/ a head shot, amongst others .... :)

The only problem is: he survived.

I didn't know that they had managed to shoot him. I was on the train when a couple of city employees were talking about how the Seattle Police, King Co. Sheriff, Des Moines Police, and the Renton Police had all responded.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
For civilians -- 'shoot to stop' the attack is the operative phrase ... even if it takes an entire magazine to 'stop the attack'. :)

I vaguely remember hearing something to the effect of: In law enforcement, you shoot to KILL, because you are often operating in close quarters. In the military, you should to wound (if you can) because for every guy who gets wounded, it takes out 3 other guys out of action to take care of him. Is there any merit to that rumor?

Angels

Contributor
Well ... no one will ever admit it, but here's an example:

... in the current hunt/takedown of the SEA-perp who shot and killed the Seattle cop on Halloween night ... yesterday (right after the cop/Army vet's memorial service) SEA SWAT served the 'suspect' w/ a search warrant -- he pulled a gun -- SWAT took him down w/ a head shot, amongst others .... :)

Next week's schedule for SEA SWAT: more time at the range.
They got him?! That's great! I hadn't heard that yet. I hate not being able to get the local news from back home. :(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I didn't know that they had managed to shoot him. I was on the train when a couple of city employees were talking about how the Seattle Police, King Co. Sheriff, Des Moines Police, and the Renton Police had all responded.
Des Moines ... Renton .... high school memories at their finest. Now you're just tryin' to get me excited, aren't you???

Once the call went out on the radio/scanners -- over 50 LEO and fire department vehicles responded and arrived at the apartment complex
location in Tukwila ...

Clux4

Banned
I think you're getting the picture. ;) This stuff is way, way above both of our paygrades - as an officer AND as a civilian. We shouldn't criticize things we have very little grasp of based on having 5% of the facts that The Man has in front of him. That's good advice for all you new JOs headed for the fleet. You will all come across policies and decisions that make absolutely no sense to you and you will say WTF? Just know that most of the time, there's a method to the (apparent) madness and the guys in charge know what they're doing.

Brett

I disagree. Not all the policies have a rhyme or reason. People drive policies and sometimes their self interest dictates. For the average JO, your answer will suffice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I disagree. Not all the policies have a rhyme or reason. People drive policies and sometimes their self interest dictates. For the average JO, your answer will suffice.

That's why I said "most of the time."

Brett

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Well ... no one will ever admit it, but here's an example:

Next week's schedule for SEA SWAT: more time at the range.

That's awesome news, this is the first I am hearing of it as well (why do I trust news from AW's more than TV?) I'm waiting to hear whether this was a gang-initiation (my guess) or not. And whether it was related to the 4 cars burned the other month...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's awesome news, this is the first I am hearing of it as well (why do I trust news from AW's more than TV?) I'm waiting to hear whether this was a gang-initiation (my guess) or not. And whether it was related to the 4 cars burned the other month...

Apparently not a gang initiation, and the same guy allegedly committed the arsons too.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Fine, Seaman X is probably too immature. Let's say E-7 and above are allowed, with appropriate licensure and training. Restricting privileges by rank would not be without precedent at all. If there are any instances of abuse of the rule, hammer that individual and make him an example. Then crush any subsequent offenders.
The schmuck who did this was a Major, which pretty much defeats the whole "E7 and above" argument. Also, do you really think that a 22 year old O-1 is more mature than a 27 year old E-3? Maturity has much more to do with age and upbringing than rank.

I can't remember any instances E1-E3s going on base to shoot up everyone in sight.

Angels

Contributor
Apparently not a gang initiation, and the same guy allegedly committed the arsons too.
Taken from the article:

"The father of Tim Brenton, the officer investigators say Monfort killed Oct. 31, told Q13 Fox he'd like to have five minutes with the man who killed his 39-year-old son in cold blood."

I say they give the father that chance. In fact lock the murderer in a room with the murdered cops father and the rest of the cops family. Same goes for Hasan. Lock him in a room with the victims loved ones. Let them deal out their own justice. Seems only fair.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Taken from the article:

"The father of Tim Brenton, the officer investigators say Monfort killed Oct. 31, told Q13 Fox he'd like to have five minutes with the man who killed his 39-year-old son in cold blood."

I say they give the father that chance. In fact lock the murderer in a room with the murdered cops father and the rest of the cops family. Same goes for Hasan. Lock him in a room with the victims loved ones. Let them deal out their own justice. Seems only fair.

Well, that's clearly not going to happen. Once the guy is in custody, you kind of have to let the justice system run its course.

Brett