• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 Dead, 31 Wounded @ FT HOOD

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You of all people should appreciate the religious nuance here.

Brett

Maybe so, but considering my religious beliefs, it's perfectly reasonable that I should assume the worst of this Major.

So when a Muslim commits murder it's automatically terrorism? The guy in upstate New York (who wanted to debunk Muslim stereotypes) who decapitated his wife was a terrorist?

You know as well as anyone that this wasn't just someone who murdered people and HAPPENED to be Muslim. There were a LOT more to the circumstances that just that coincidence.

Bevo16

pilot
So when a Muslim commits murder it's automatically terrorism? The guy in upstate New York (who wanted to debunk Muslim stereotypes) who decapitated his wife was a terrorist?

When a Muslim murders members of the US military screaming "allahu akbar"...yes, that is terrorism.

This guy could have walked into Wal-Mart and started shooting people there. Why didn't he do that? It's a hell of a lot less risky to get your personal handgun into Wally World than it is Ft. Hood. He could have walked into a restaurant and started shooting people, but he didn't do that either. He targeted US Troops for a reason. It's not that hard to figure out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You either know the score and won't admit it -- or you're extremely stupid.

Make a choice ...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Say it was a white male, devout Christian, who murdered 12 people at a Planned Parenthood .. it would have been easy to conclude that his religion was a major factor. "Big Sister" Janet Napolitano would be waiving her report on domestic right-wing terrorism in our faces everyday.

Why, when it's the exact same scenario, it's so hard for the same people to come to the same conclusion?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Say it was a white male, devout Christian, who murdered 12 people at a Planned Parenthood .. it would have been easy to conclude that his religion was a major factor. "Big Sister" Janet Napolitano would be waiving her report on domestic right-wing terrorism in our faces everyday.

Why, when it's the exact same scenario, it's so hard for the same people to come to the same conclusion?

Because extremist muslims murder people on a semi-regular basis. Extremist Christians/Jews/Buddhists don't. Do I need to hold your hand through any more logic? ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because extremist muslims murder people on a semi-regular basis. Extremist Christians/Jews/Buddhists don't. Do I need to hold your hand through any more logic? ;)

There have been more incidents of abortion doctors being murdered in the US than incidents of Muslim terrorists killing anybody in the US. Obviously 9/11 throws the numbers way in favor of the Muslims, but if we're talking about individual incidents, abortion doc murders by Christians occur more frequently in this country. TERRORISTS! :rolleyes:

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There have been more incidents of abortion doctors being murdered in the US than incidents of Muslim terrorists killing anybody in the US. Obviously 9/11 throws the numbers way in favor of the Muslims, but if we're talking about individual incidents, abortion doc murders by Christians occur more frequently in this country. TERRORISTS! :rolleyes:

Brett

In this country.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't think anyone's arguing that Timothy McVeigh wasn't a terrorist, or the doods who blow up planned parenthoods aren't terrorists, or ELF, when it pipe bombs a hummer dealership isn't committing a terrorist act. Again, why is it so easy for us to call a spade a spade in that case, but in any instance where the delicate sensibilities of a minority group might be offended by referring to a member of their group as a terrorist, it's suddenly taboo. The guy targeted US Soldiers...whilst screaming allah akbar. case closed.

If he hadn't been an army major, would we give a damn about his perceived slights and motives? Nope..he'd be just another jihadist...get him his orange jumpsuit and plane ticket to gitmo while we conduct voltage checks on the electric chair.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think anyone's arguing that Timothy McVeigh wasn't a terrorist, or the doods who blow up planned parenthoods aren't terrorists, or ELF, when it pipe bombs a hummer dealership isn't committing a terrorist act. Again, why is it so easy for us to call a spade a spade in that case, but in any instance where the delicate sensibilities of a minority group might be offended by referring to a member of their group as a terrorist, it's suddenly taboo. The guy targeted US Soldiers...whilst screaming allah akbar. case closed.
Well he went into his workplace and targeted coworkers...what if he was a muslim postal worker who went into a post office, or a muslim fast food worker who killed folks at a McDonalds.

And why does waiting for all of the facts = fear of offending delicate sensibilities of a minority group?

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
If you pussies want to whine about fear of profiling or make religious comparisons, do it somewhere else. I'm getting about one RCH away from cutting loose from the bunch of you. Recommend closing this one, Mods.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There have been more incidents of abortion doctors being murdered in the US than incidents of Muslim terrorists killing anybody in the US.
Which, of course, has nothing to do w/ anything ... as there have been more deaths in bathtubs and on bicycles in the US than incidents of Muslim terrorists 'killing anybody in the US' ...

That argument has nothing to do w/ anything ...

We're in a war -- to the death -- w/ an Islam that can't seem to get used to the idea of 'peaceful coexistence' with the West, the Jews, or anything remotely labeled 'infidel' ... and we all might as well get used to the concept of that war -- a long war -- a war to the death.

Given the nature of the enemy ... only one of us will survive.

Bevo16

pilot

Really? Going back how far?

Wiki, the all knowing authority on everything counts 4 abortion doctors killed since 1993.

I'll agree that 9-11 throws off the numbers, but can you really count that as ONE attack? Hell, they got 4 planes. For the sake of argument, OK, 9-11 is one.

Fort Hood is 2.

This is three.

This is 4.

Five

This was almost number 6, but the people he ran over pulled through.

6.5, 7, whatever, I am losing count and I made my point.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The guy indiscriminately shot people for the purpose of killing them. He didn't target individuals who teased him about his religion or because they thought he was a bad doctor, he targeted guys at a processing center because they wore a uniform to make a statement about the army's offenses against him.

Using violence to make a statement...yep: terrorist.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you pussies want to whine about fear of profiling or make religious comparisons, do it somewhere else. I'm getting about one RCH away from cutting loose from the bunch of you. Recommend closing this one, Mods.

What's the problem? People can disagree on this issue and the discussion is civil. I don't get why this causes a problem for you. Besides, nobody is "afraid" of profiling or invoking religious comparisons (or stereotypes). It just makes more sense to actually uncover the facts before jumping to conclusions. What's the harm in that?

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
When a Muslim murders members of the US military screaming "allahu akbar"...yes, that is terrorism.

This guy could have walked into Wal-Mart and started shooting people there. Why didn't he do that? It's a hell of a lot less risky to get your personal handgun into Wally World than it is Ft. Hood. He could have walked into a restaurant and started shooting people, but he didn't do that either. He targeted US Troops for a reason. It's not that hard to figure out.

Then it's more than just "bad Muslim" and "good Muslim". Let's start there for a change.

Many Iraqi Muslims that shot at and likely killed Americans switched sides and joined the Awakening - many are no doubt in the police and army. We may end up doing so with many of the Taliban in Afghanistan, where many of those allied with the Taliban do so not out of shared ideology with Al Q but merely because one band of foreigners are Muslim and hence somewhat familiar and the other, not. The distinctions and motives that define terror, insurgency, and plain murder (as well as, of course, when they overlap) are important in this war, and to write off a killer as a jihadist merely because he is Muslim, as your size 25 font indicates, is to vindicate Major Hassan's delusion that America is at war with Islam. In that respect, Hassan has much company in his delusion.

This is not a defense of Hasan, but a condemnation of the sloppy thinking that Muslim killer (of American troops, if you'd rather) = Islamofascist terrorist. Clearly we are willing to accept that not all of them are on the "same side" insofar as determining who is reconciliable. You say he "switched sides". Whose side did he choose? His personal Islam? Al Qaeda's brand of Islam? Islam as a global religion?

It's clear he chose the first. There's no indication that he subscribed to Al Qaeda ideology or even their particular brand of Islam - that is among the items under investigation.

We care that he's a Major because it's evidence he didn't hate America, as claimed earlier. He liked it enough to swear an oath and join despite the ridicule of his family. So it is of interest why and how he turned away from that, and how he came to feel he had to choose between country and god.

And to prove my point:
We're in a war -- to the death -- w/ an Islam that can't seem to get used to the idea of 'peaceful coexistence' with the West, the Jews, or anything remotely labeled 'infidel' ... and we all might as well get used to the concept of that war -- a long war -- a war to the death.

Hasan thought the exact same thing.