• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

12 APR 17 SNA/SNFO Board

Bravo Kilo

Do you know what some examples of their reasons were? I'm dealing with some possible reasons that might make me turn it down. I got ProRec-Y for both. It's something I really want to do but I'm worried that if I turn it down the first time I won't ever have another chance.
I wouldn't turn it down. Deal with whatever it is, and if you need some time before you ship out, request it. Life marches on, and you need to be able to deal/cope with it. If it's really bad, the military will help you out. I was with a guy in Afghanistan who's father was dying while over there, and the AF sent him all the way back to Michigan to be with him. These are the suckiest situations in my opinion. Everything else can and should be dealt with. If you turn this down, your reasoning better not leave any room for someone to ask "what if this happens on active duty? Will he be able to deal with it?"

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If your goal is to fly I'd apply for the Air Force and Marine Corps too

If you want to fly, apply to the Air Force. Judging by what's been in the news I wouldn't join the marine corps if you want to fly. I say that without judgement just my experience working the navy and Air Force sides. I wouldn't change a thing in my own history, but if a kid told me today he wants to fly in the military, I'd say join the Air Force.

Also, if you want to be an NFO, take the slot. If you're joining to work out an SNA slot, it's just not a good plan. Who cares what happened to other people or their anecdotal stories. If there's no rule precluding you from applying again and you didn't want or apply for NFO, apply again for SNA, include an explanatory letter and improve your package.

sethpat

Waiting game
I'd imagine this mentality is why you didn't get selected. "I'd rather fly a Cessna 150 than serve my country in any other capacity". Just remember, you're an officer first and aviator second. There's a chance that after 3 years you won't be flying anymore regardless. If you're only there to fly, and aren't there to serve your country and be a good leader, then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Enjoy your 66th hour in the Cessna 150.

I simply know what I want out of life. Now kindly eat shit, troll.

Everyone else, thank you very much for the kind words and advice; I sincerely appreciate it. I plan on resubmitting and potentially submitting an AF kit as well.

exNavyOffRec

Do you know what some examples of their reasons were? I'm dealing with some possible reasons that might make me turn it down. I got ProRec-Y for both. It's something I really want to do but I'm worried that if I turn it down the first time I won't ever have another chance.

picked for NFO but not SNA, he had bad PFAR and his original recruiter wasn't the best and told him people get moved to SNA all the time, found out the truth, declined NFO, took ASTB 2 more times, ended up with 9's and re-selected after trying at 2 more boards. Declined due to parent diagnosed terminal cancer, another with close family member dying (both of those re-applied and picked up with no change in application)

some I saw decline that didn't come back were to go to friends wedding, GF didn't want them to go, a few other BS reasons.

declining and writing a letter saying you declined because you only submitted for SNA and is better than declining due to GF, but not as good as family member dying

exNavyOffRec

If you want to fly, apply to the Air Force. Judging by what's been in the news I wouldn't join the marine corps if you want to fly. I say that without judgement just my experience working the navy and Air Force sides. I wouldn't change a thing in my own history, but if a kid told me today he wants to fly in the military, I'd say join the Air Force.

Also, if you want to be an NFO, take the slot. If you're joining to work out an SNA slot, it's just not a good plan. Who cares what happened to other people or their anecdotal stories. If there's no rule precluding you from applying again and you didn't want or apply for NFO, apply again for SNA, include an explanatory letter and improve your package.

Check out my previous post, trying to get a pilot spot without going to USAFA or AFROTC is slim at best.

Bravo Kilo

There are some flying slots open in the ANG/AF Reserve, but that also means CSO and not just pilot. Those units are more often than not flying cargo planes too. Loads of F-15Cs have been transitioned to the ANG and those only take a pilot. Pretty sure you'd need to have good AFOQT/TBAS scores and some flying hours for them to pick you up though.

I have had people that turned down spots before get selected again, it was only for SNA, they had real good scores and were able to right a good letter why they turned down in the first place, not anything like "my girlfriend didn't want me to go" the better the scores the more is overlooked.
The wife is the NFO, but started as a SWO. She hadn't realized that was put down as her second option and planned to submit her letter of declination, but was warned that wasn't the best option. She was able to get the career path she wanted in the end. I'm sure you are right, how you decline will make all the difference.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Check out my previous post, trying to get a pilot spot without going to USAFA or AFROTC is slim at best.
Understood. I was writing from the cultural perspective, not how easy it is to get a slot. That being said, BDCP was 6% when I selected so never say never. Air national guard and USAFR Are also great options. I had a lot of guard/reserve students in all my classes and there were always a couple OTS. Point is don't turn yourself down for an option. Let the board do that.

Dallas Brown

SNA applicant
Pro Rec N for SNA. my situation is probably a little different than most on this board but I thought I would share anyway. I was at OCS in September 2015 for SNA, had a family situation come up back home and decided it was best to drop and go home and deal with the situation. Since leaving I have advanced my aviation career in the private sector and I work as a flight instructor now. Not a day goes by that I haven't wanted to go back since being separated so I decided to get a package together and submit. I have over 700 flight hours so my recruiter thought I should be picked back up no problem since I was approved to return to the navy and that I have a lot of flight experience but as I found out today thats not the case. He told me that he would have me do an interview with a Lt. Cmdr. thats a pilot who would give me a recommendation so that I would not have to wait 6 months to re-apply since it would be a "significant change" to my package and could jump on the July board. My thoughts for why I was not approved would probably be that I was up there once and took a drop and went home but my recruiter seems to be just as baffled as the rest of us as to why so many people got passed up for SNA that had good scores. any thoughts from anyone else as to why? he said sometimes end of the year boards can be a little more picky but I cant come up with a reason to wrap my head around. Also any inputs on to what anyone thinks my chances on the next board will be with a drop on my package are welcome.

KnightFlight

I'd imagine this mentality is why you didn't get selected. "I'd rather fly a Cessna 150 than serve my country in any other capacity". Just remember, you're an officer first and aviator second. There's a chance that after 3 years you won't be flying anymore regardless. If you're only there to fly, and aren't there to serve your country and be a good leader, then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Enjoy your 66th hour in the Cessna 150.
What a motivator! Hide your contraband, sounds like we found the class snitch at OCS :eek:. The one dude in the class that sleeps in his sheets and wakes up early everyday to make his rack. Hahah
@sethpat , if you aren't flying after 3 years in the Navy, it's because you got attrited from the pilot program. It takes 2 - 3 years just to get winged lol. You will almost certainly fly all the way up til just before your contract is up, like 9 years, which is when you'll be on your disassociated sea tour. I'm sure after spending 15-20,000$ on private flight time and working your butt off to get rated, you know you want to make a career out of flying.
And people, stop thinking switching from something else to pilot later down the road is something that you have a good chance of actually doing. I can think of 2 people in advanced that have done that, one Navy LT, and one Marine CAPT, and both are in there early 30's.

Halfspeed

What a motivator! Hide your contraband, sounds like we found the class snitch at OCS :eek:. The one dude in the class that sleeps in his sheets and wakes up early everyday to make his rack. Hahah
@sethpat , if you aren't flying after 3 years in the Navy, it's because you got attrited from the pilot program. It takes 2 - 3 years just to get winged lol. You will almost certainly fly all the way up til just before your contract is up, like 9 years, which is when you'll be on your disassociated sea tour. I'm sure after spending 15-20,000$ on private flight time and working your butt off to get rated, you know you want to make a career out of flying.
And people, stop thinking switching from something else to pilot later down the road is something that you have a good chance of actually doing. I can think of 2 people in advanced that have done that, one Navy LT, and one Marine CAPT, and both are in there early 30's.
Lmao! Was only a matter of time before someone took a jab at that.

Safashton

Pro Rec N for SNA. my situation is probably a little different than most on this board but I thought I would share anyway. I was at OCS in September 2015 for SNA, had a family situation come up back home and decided it was best to drop and go home and deal with the situation. Since leaving I have advanced my aviation career in the private sector and I work as a flight instructor now. Not a day goes by that I haven't wanted to go back since being separated so I decided to get a package together and submit. I have over 700 flight hours so my recruiter thought I should be picked back up no problem since I was approved to return to the navy and that I have a lot of flight experience but as I found out today thats not the case. He told me that he would have me do an interview with a Lt. Cmdr. thats a pilot who would give me a recommendation so that I would not have to wait 6 months to re-apply since it would be a "significant change" to my package and could jump on the July board. My thoughts for why I was not approved would probably be that I was up there once and took a drop and went home but my recruiter seems to be just as baffled as the rest of us as to why so many people got passed up for SNA that had good scores. any thoughts from anyone else as to why? he said sometimes end of the year boards can be a little more picky but I cant come up with a reason to wrap my head around. Also any inputs on to what anyone thinks my chances on the next board will be with a drop on my package are welcome.

So RUFiO181 or one of the other recruiters could prob clarify, but if you have a family emergency, you can't go on ermergecy leave and come back and roll into another class?

cookie_monster

As 1 flight away from being a CFI, I totally agree with you. These non-pilots just don't get it. They would suck a dick if the Navy told them to.