• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

11JUL17 Pilot/NFO board

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
Yes that link is accurate to pass a Navy PRT! But it looks like API has its own standard to pass you, just like a one time thing I guess. After that you just follow your regular PRT chart in that link you have based on yr sexy and age.
Maybe Rufio can confirm if that API link is accurate...
That is old info, especially the sit and reach, which no longer exists.. API abides by the Navy PRT just the same as in OCS.

npm724

None
My suggestion for anyone who wants to get their run time faster is to start doing 3 miles or more. It doesn't matter how slow you are but as long as you're able to stick through the entire 3 or more miles, you'll be fine. When I was training for the PFT in the Marines, we would constantly run non-stop. This is especially useful for the months leading up to it. Once you build that endurance for a 3, you'll have no problem pushing yourself further the day of your PRT for a 1.5. The day if your test you're going to be pumped with adrenaline and the fear of losing so that'll give you extra juice to faster as well!

And don't aim for the minimum! Aim for that first class!
I hate to break it to you, but running long slow distance will not improve your 1.5 miler very effectively.

This guy is a strength and conditioning coach out of California who did several years in the Marines. His track sprint workouts contained there will vastly improve your conditioning and 1.5 miler time compared to running 3 slow miles multiple times per week. If you want to get fast in a short period of time, SPRINT. It sucks, but it will make the chaos of OCS that little bit less sucky if you've prepared. Run one long slow day per week at most, just to prepare your body for the impact.

I've incorporated these workouts into my normal regimen, and I've broken a 6-minute mile for the first time since playing soccer in high school, and I'm carrying about 30 pounds more in muscle.

justheretocreep

Oh that's awesome!!! What about the swim? Is that accurate? Mile less than 80min

That is still accurate, I had to do the same thing for Aircrew school. Honestly it is not the mile swim that gets people, that is surprisingly easy, it is the tread and float in full flight gear that kills people. The added weight drags you down causing you to use more energy to tread if you don't have the form perfect thus making you struggle on your float. Nasty business that I am definitely NOT looking forward to.

justheretocreep

Definitely clarifies, thank you! I am working on my run time as well, but 11 minutes would be EXTREMELY fast for me. I wouldn't exactly call myself a strong runner by default, so I guess I'm about to have to figure out how to become one, haha.

I wasn't either. My initial PRT run time in boot camp was like 14 minutes. 6 months later graduating from candidacy school I was at 10 flat. The Navy will definitely help you find your wheels.

justheretocreep

Ahhh geeez, this stuff is starting to stress me out. I've seen SO MUCH conflicting information when it comes to the PRT standards and what is actually acceptable. I also heard the in-PFT was done on a normal track, not a cross country trail. I was looking at this link...beginning on page 19 for specific standards for male/female age groups.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide 5- Physical Readiness Test 2016.pdf

Also on this it depends which field you're going in. Some communities do have different expectations such as aircrew, SEAL, SWCC, and of course Pilot. After boot camp I went to Pensacola for Aircrew Candidacy school in which to graduate from that we had to run our time in under 11 minutes. If not we got rolled into the next class. This was across the board no matter the age. Males was under 11 and females under 13. Each community can determine their own standards throughout school, it is not until you hit the fleet permanently that you will be held to the regular Navy standards across the board.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
I hate to break it to you, but running long slow distance will not improve your 1.5 miler very effectively.

This guy is a strength and conditioning coach out of California who did several years in the Marines. His track sprint workouts contained there will vastly improve your conditioning and 1.5 miler time compared to running 3 slow miles multiple times per week. If you want to get fast in a short period of time, SPRINT. It sucks, but it will make the chaos of OCS that little bit less sucky if you've prepared. Run one long slow day per week at most, just to prepare your body for the impact.

I've incorporated these workouts into my normal regimen, and I've broken a 6-minute mile for the first time since playing soccer in high school, and I'm carrying about 30 pounds more in muscle.

That works as well. I'm only suggesting what worked for me and others as well.

npm724

None
That works as well. I'm only suggesting what worked for me and others as well.
Understood. Didn't mean for it to be disrespectful or inaccurate. But my emphasis here was intended to be on the "very effectively" part at the beginning.

Running 3 miles daily will make you better at running, but you will eventually plateau. Plus, OCS PT will involve two short distance days, where the focus is on higher intensity running and calisthenics. It's worth it to train to push yourself harder than steady-state cardio.

vsale08

Found this thread really late and took a few days to read through everything (mostly).
Congrats to everyone that was selected and best of luck at OCS! Everyone that didn't get what they wanted, keep on trucking.

Stats

Selected for SNA
GPA: 2.7
Major: Ocean Engineering at Texas A&M
Graduation: May 2018
ASTB: 58 6/6/7

Cgunner91

Supply Corps

This is great stuff, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be switching up the routine I had before.

KnightFlight

If you can't pass a Navy PRT, ahhhh.... yeah. That should be the last of your worries. I'm like 20 lbs over weight and pretty much never work out. Still max all but the run, and that's still like 10:30. If this were the Marines, different story.
Now I don't recommend going to OCS out of shape, like I currently am, but you will be amazed at some of the people who show up with you and make it through. One dude in our class lost 30 lbs and is now "flying" jets in Meridian.
API APIT is the same as a normal PRT, it's just on a chip trail rather than a track. Which I actually prefer to run on. You'll take it when you first show up before you start IFS. They won't let you start flying until you pass it. I highly recommend passing the first time.
If you are a decent swimmer, then your biggest worry will be getting a blister from those god awful 20 year old boots you'll be barefoot in.
Now the helo dunker, some people think it's a blast, but fuck that thing. If you're not on a SEBD, no. thank. you.

To prep for OCS, spend time with your family and friends, study your OCR, and put down the video game controller and do something active. Sure if you suck at swimming, spend some time doing laps and treading water, maybe even wear heavy shoes.
Good luck!