• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
JSnake is right but I'll try to help you out.

First it sounds like you have plenty of EC, way more than I had, but hey its not hurting you to put as much as possible.

Second, applying to BDCP is a long process, the selection boards meet every month (may be fewer for Intel) but contact a OFFICER recruiter to get plenty of help and advice. He will guide you through everything and work as your partner getting everything together. PARTNER remember you need to be persistent and do your part. So I would contact a recruiter ASAP, start getting your paperwork together and if nothing else, by your junior year you will be all set to make the first board.

Third, asking a "how competitive" question is kind of a no go here on this forum, but just know that it is competitive. Do your best and apply, worst case you don't make it, best case you do. You will never make it if you don't try though. I'm pretty sure Intel goes through OCS just like everyone else, so it will be just as hard. Selection is based on qualified applicant, so be qualified and competitive and it wont matter the percentage.

Forth, when you swear in, you will be considered active duty. Your job will be to go to school, it is a four year contract from when you sign the line. You do the math. Also consider that upon graduating from whatever the Intel school is, you may be required to resign your contract if you wish to continue. I only mention this as for pilots, they have to resign upon winging. Which is fine by me. Not many people decide to be a Naval Officer for just a few years, most find it to be their career.

Fifth, in BDCP you are applying for a specific community in OCS. You will have a spot in OCS guaranteed, and your community selected before you swear in. BDCP is fucking awesome!

Role in the middle east? I can't tell you if you will be deployed their but I can tell you that you are joining the MILITARY, we fight wars, we get deployed. Even if your designator does not require you to be shipped to a foreign country to fight, if you are thinking about joining think long and hard if your willing to take a oath to defend our country. You should be ready to go to war if the need arises.

Advice: use the search function, tons of information out there, you just have to put out some effort. Then if you can't find it, post.

luvdblue

JSnake:

Because I'd hate to "bother" you in the future, please just don't even answer my questions if you A) Plan to belittle me, or B) Don't have anything constructive to say. I think I can figure out that the search function is a way of discovering information, thanks.

Afterburner: Thank you for the advice. I may PM you later on in the process with more specific questions (if you don't mind). As for the Mid. East, perhaps I should have specified; I am female, and I know we aren't given (intentional) combat roles. I guess I was wondering what role a female intel/SWO/IWO might play over there, or just in the Navy in general, as most of the stuff I've found hasn't specified. I'm having trouble deciphering how male and female roles differ in these areas. Thanks anyway though, appreciate the help~

JSnake

JSnake:

Because I'd hate to "bother" you in the future, please just don't even answer my questions if you A) Plan to belittle me, or B) Don't have anything constructive to say. I think I can figure out that the search function is a way of discovering information, thanks.

A) I had no intentions of belittling you. Although slightly scrutinizing, I admit, my response simply prompted you to do some more research as most of your questions can be answered with some very light research. However, the fact that you started a thread asking some very basic questions that could be solved by a simple google search shows that you spent little to no effort researching even the basics of what you intend to pursue. Asking those questions on a forum of many busy and accomplished members is both irritating and frustrating, not to mention showing a lack of motivation and commitment on your part.

B) Oh okay, my bad then. I wasn't sure you knew if the search existed seeing as how it is the dozenth thread started with these kind of questions.

luvdblue

Actually, I spent a good few hours researching the questions before I posted. Here are the results:

google: "US NAVY BDCP", "Female US Navy members in middle east"

I read through 37 links' worth. Also called and talked to a close family member who spent 34 years working first in the service, and then as a civilian for the Navy at the Pentagon (but who, unfortunately, had not gone through OCS since Vietnam so wasn't very familiar with BDCP). I then called another close family member who was in Army OCS, but ran into the same problem. Would call my cousin who was in the Marines and was commissioned through Marine OCS, but he was, well....things didn't go so well for him in the Middle East (which is a large reason why I'm shooting for this..so please, please, please don't question my sense of motivation or commitment- that's something I take very personally...hopefully you can understand to some degree). So, while you may belittle my investigative skills, please know that it was not by lack of willpower that I asked a few simple questions. Now, if I've missed something extraordinary in those google links, then please alert me. Truth is, I'm not a huge fan of online forums because I've found many people on them to get this cyberspace-ego thing that, while making for an interesting Psych thesis, I find incredibly annoying (and which, for some reason, I feel that I'm beginning to become a prime example of :p). I was compelled to seek assistance on here because everything I found on BDCP simply listed the requirements, pay scale, and something about OCS (though not all of them mentioned this, which is why I wanted to clarify). As for females in the Middle East, that's the one question I forgot to write down when I was on the phone w/family. The only info I could find on it listed activity in the Persian Gulf (which I already knew about) and a slew of articles on alleged sexual harassment charges for their male comrades. I will be the first to admit that I know very little about this process, but I thought I might be able to obtain some solid opinions on here. I have a TON respect for our current and past military, and was only looking for some common courtesy with responses on the other end.

So again, unless you have something constructive to add, I will simply thank you for serving, and ask you to please not comment. Clearly all it does is create conflict...Thanks.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Actually, I spent a good few hours researching the questions before I posted. Here are the results:

google: "US NAVY BDCP", "Female US Navy members in middle east"

I read through 37 links' worth. Also called and talked to a close family member who spent 34 years working first in the service, and then as a civilian for the Navy at the Pentagon (but who, unfortunately, had not gone through OCS since Vietnam so wasn't very familiar with BDCP). I then called another close family member who was in Army OCS, but ran into the same problem. Would call my cousin who was in the Marines and was commissioned through Marine OCS, but he was, well....things didn't go so well for him in the Middle East (which is a large reason why I'm shooting for this..so please, please, please don't question my sense of motivation or commitment- that's something I take very personally...hopefully you can understand to some degree). So, while you may belittle my investigative skills, please know that it was not by lack of willpower that I asked a few simple questions. Now, if I've missed something extraordinary in those google links, then please alert me. Truth is, I'm not a huge fan of online forums because I've found many people on them to get this cyberspace-ego thing that, while making for an interesting Psych thesis, I find incredibly annoying (and which, for some reason, I feel that I'm beginning to become a prime example of :p). I was compelled to seek assistance on here because everything I found on BDCP simply listed the requirements, pay scale, and something about OCS (though not all of them mentioned this, which is why I wanted to clarify). As for females in the Middle East, that's the one question I forgot to write down when I was on the phone w/family. The only info I could find on it listed activity in the Persian Gulf (which I already knew about) and a slew of articles on alleged sexual harassment charges for their male comrades. I will be the first to admit that I know very little about this process, but I thought I might be able to obtain some solid opinions on here. I have a TON respect for our current and past military, and was only looking for some common courtesy with responses on the other end.

So again, unless you have something constructive to add, I will simply thank you for serving, and ask you to please not comment. Clearly all it does is create conflict...Thanks.

Use paragraphs.

Sure you used google but it is quite apparent that you did not browse the BDCP section of this forum or bother to use the search function on this forum.

You've opened yourself up by responding in an extremely defensive manner which leads me to believe that you are incapable of handling dirt thrown your way.

Grow some thick skin. Those of us who've been here awhile are tired of seeing the same thread pop up over and over.

You won't find much help with your attitude either. Few are willing to deal with people who have snotty attitudes and want everything given to them. You need to show MORE initiative and drive to have your questions answered. No one is here to start a conflict with you until you start it with them.

But since you asked I'll answer your majesty...

Have you bothered talking to an officer recruiter about the program yet?

If you haven't then you've missed step one.

1. You can apply anytime you want to as long as you are within 2 years of graduating or 3 if you are pursuing a technical degree, which you are not.

2. It's competitive. Asking questions like that will yield many different answers. BDCP requires a higher GPA. But when you apply for BDCP you are applying for spots that may be a year or so away. Spots that may be quite open. When you apply for OCS there are less spots because spots have been taken by other OCS selectees and BDCP selectees.

My best advice for you if you want to be competitive in the process is this...

Piss excellence every day of the week.

3. The whole "active duty" thing works the moment you swear in and sign the paperwork. You start your career then and there. They'll pay you all the benefits of an E-3. You'll have the rate OCSN Officer Candidate Seaman. You are promotable up to E-5. Your total requirement depends on the community you are selected for. If you go aviation then you will be obligated to serve 8 years AFTER wings.

4. When you are BDCP you gain an OCS slot and you'll also have a designator. For instance I applied for SNA/SNFO and was selected for both. I picked SNA since it was my first choice and I desired it more. You can put 3 selections down on your application. I suggest not putting something you aren't willing or wanting to do.

Good luck and welcome to AirWarriors.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Afterburner: Thank you for the advice. I may PM you later on in the process with more specific questions (if you don't mind). As for the Mid. East, perhaps I should have specified; I am female, and I know we aren't given (intentional) combat roles. I guess I was wondering what role a female intel/SWO/IWO might play over there, or just in the Navy in general, as most of the stuff I've found hasn't specified. I'm having trouble deciphering how male and female roles differ in these areas. Thanks anyway though, appreciate the help~

I don't have too much information about the duties of Intel however I do know there are a few female Intel on this forum. If you come across them they may be able to clarify.

However, having just finished all the BDCP process and now thoroughly enjoying the benefits, if you need any help with the process or advice, just PM anytime. I would also like to repeat that getting in touch with a recruiter now would be a good idea if you want to get the ball rolling.

As you can tell we have some salty officers on this board and they all have rhino thick skin. Don't let it bother you, just adapt.

blarged

ready
I only mention this as for pilots, they have to resign upon winging.

Well now that's just silly ... who's going to fly all the pretty planes?

@luvdblue

My BDCP process has documented in depth in my blog (link in the signature). You may have found it through one of your Google searches (seems as though all the hits I get to my blog are all Navy/BDCP/OCS related). Check it out. Feel free to comment questions on the blog or PM me.

I know for those first looking into the process who have no military background whether family or self, it can all seem a bit confusing.

Don't be angry with folks on the forum where you are new and looking for answers.

luvdblue

Lazers, your highness,

If I answered in a defensive manner, I guess it's a good thing I'm looking at the Dept. of Defense :D. My writing was in block paragraph format (you must have been a math major :p). Please don't feel obligated to answer if you're annoyed by my threads; I'd rather have people with something constructive to say do so, as it will save both of us time. Thank you for the useful information you gave me at the end though- congrats on your own selection and best of luck at OCS (or whatever point you're at right now).

Afterburner/Blarged: Thanks for the help; I'll probably PM you guys sometime in the future, after I talk to a recruiter and have the basics down a little better. Thanks for being patient with me >.<

Afterburner: Happen to know the screen-names of those female intel officers...?

Blarged, I did come across your blog, but I've bookmarked it now so I'll definitely take a better look at it. Nicely done!

JSnake

Lazers, your highness,

If I answered in a defensive manner, I guess it's a good thing I'm looking at the Dept. of Defense :D. My writing was in block paragraph format (you must have been a math major :p). Please don't feel obligated to answer if you're annoyed by my threads; I'd rather have people with something constructive to say do so, as it will save both of us time. Thank you for the useful information you gave me at the end though- congrats on your own selection and best of luck at OCS (or whatever point you're at right now).

I strongly recommend you to take Lazer's advice on not only those answering your questions directly but even more importantly those regarding your attitude and character. It's apparent you have selective reading and, rather than using these criticisms as an opportunity to improve yourself, you are making quite an ass of yourself.

You go to a good university, you have good grades, and your activities are decent. On paper, you are very competitive and well qualified. In person, I would say otherwise. Your accomplishments on paper do NOT give you the right to be arrogant, overly defensive, and/or a sense of divine entitlement. Your ability to take criticism, learn from mistakes, and willingness to improve are significant testaments to your character and whether you are officer material. If criticism from a forum is working you up this much, how are you going to take OCS? It must drive you to a psych ward!

The last part of your BDCP package is your recruiter's evaluation of your character. Keep this up and you will fuck it up.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Put down the shovel and step away... I'm being constructive when I suggest that you stop now and perhaps even apologize for being (for lack of a better word) bitchy. So far people have been surprisingly nice to you, but don't expect that to continue if you don't improve your attitude. When you've been around a little longer, you'll see why your questions annoyed people so much- there are whole sections of this forum which address most of the questions you've asked. The people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to answer questions and help out new applicants, but ONLY those who take initiative and help themselves FIRST. Whether you actually did all that research or not, I don't know, but from most of the questions you asked, one would never believe it.

Additionally, don't get comfortable with the internet "anonymity" and think you can talk to people on AW however you want. Many of these ladies and gentlemen are already commissioned officers, who may very well be your boss one day, and you are not as anonymous as you think. Show a little respect, and lose the defensive and entitled attitude. It will take you much further.

EDIT: Ok it took me longer than I thought to write that, and JSnake got in before me. So ya... what J said too...

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Afterburner: Happen to know the screen-names of those female intel officers...?

In as concilliatory a manner as can be written...
There's a few intel-o's, and at least two pro-rec'd intel females and two more men who frequent here. Lurk around long enough and all will eventually be revealed.
What Niki and Lazers said is very true though. You are not anonymous here (Lord knows I wish I was) and you'll find very quickly that the people you meet here you'll meet face to face if you're accepted. If someone gives you stick, learn the lesson, laugh it off, and come back when you've cooled down.
We'll be happy to help when you've got some new questions, but I think you'd do very well to let this issue drop.

BUDU

I'm gonna go with what the others are saying--chances are any questions you have are answered somewhere on this forum. I can't even count the number of times I've had a random, out-of-the-blue question that I didn't think anybody else could possibly ask, then done a search and found four threads on that same topic. It's the reason people get pissed off when newbies don't use the search function.

luvdblue

Woah woah woah this got WAY out of hand. Sorry if anyone took my comments as offensive, as they were not intended to be. While you may call me bitchy, I would certainly say the same about several of you. This is exhibit A of why I don't really find these forums helpful.

Thanks for those who were polite and tried to answer my questions in a courteous manner. In the future, I'll simply PM you as to save time and breath for everyone involved.

Best of luck to EVERYONE in all future military and life endeavors.

navybronxbomber

First off the navy is getting pretty tough about accepting non tech majors.... second show some respect and loose the attitude esp towards officers.