• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

bcooper7789

Accepted BDCP and anyone interested in BDCP

Hello all,

Currently I am locked onto putting a package to try for BDCP and go into the supply corps hopefully. I just want to see what people that have actually been accepted to the program have gotten for GPA, ASTB, extracurriculars, and any other good information on how you got in. I think this information would help us all, but even message me if you would rather it be private information but want to help me out. Any type of gouge from you guys would be a great help. Since I am asking you guys for specs, mine are:

Major: Molecular biology
3.31 GPA
Sophomore
ASTB: not yet!
Currently college program ROTC, did sail team, on some others this year.
Probably could get recommendation letters from some of my superiors here at the ROTC unit.

Thanks in advance!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hello all,

Currently I am locked onto putting a package to try for BDCP and go into the supply corps hopefully. I just want to see what people that have actually been accepted to the program have gotten for GPA, ASTB, extracurriculars, and any other good information on how you got in. I think this information would help us all, but even message me if you would rather it be private information but want to help me out. Any type of gouge from you guys would be a great help. Since I am asking you guys for specs, mine are:

Major: Molecular biology
3.31 GPA
Sophomore
ASTB: not yet!
Currently college program ROTC, did sail team, on some others this year.
Probably could get recommendation letters from some of my superiors here at the ROTC unit.

Thanks in advance!

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to do ROTC anymore?

But anyways you should check out this sticky thread.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1707&highlight=stats

SupplyBDCP

I just got sworn into the BDCP program for supply and here was my information.

3.5 GPA fiance junior
ASTB 4/4/4 53
Ran cross country and track and field at D1 college
Reference from college president and other community leaders

All I can say is there is no way to compare peoples packages because there are many other factors other than grades and numbers. If you just apply, train, and study hard it is all you can do. It is a very long and many times frustrating process so it must be something that you are committed to doing.

Motocrossx23

BDCP Question...

For those of you that have made the transition from student/civilian attending college to Navy Officer, what was the process and transition like?

Right now it seems as though you take the ASTB, send in your package and then just keep cruising through school until graduation.

What should I expect?
What should I know?

I'm looking to go into the BDCP for NFO, I'm currently attending school as a Junior for a Bachelor's in Science (Technology Education).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Chris

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Im still in college and BDCP so I can only answer half of your question.

If you use the search function there is a wealth of information all about BDCP and military officer life. If you cant find what your looking for after using a bunch of terms then ask away.

Basically you send in your package, and cruise through school just like you said. Except you also get paid bank to do it and you need to workout more. You take a physical test twice a year until you graduate. Then you go to OCS and start your military life, no different then if you were never in BDCP at all. (Except the extra time served of coarse and the commitment). Honestly knowing that I have a contract already is helping me in school ten fold. I can't mess around...well as much....well really just not without as much risk.

It's awesome if the military is what you really in your heart want to do. It's a commitment and not one you can back out of. Be sure; and if you are, do it. It's awesome.

All pending you get selected: This is not easy.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
All pending you get selected: This is not easy.

Applying you will most likely find that it is hard to get in contact with your OR. In BDCP they become your CO and they are still extremely hard to get a hold of.

just have the mind set that you cant imagine doing something else before you sign the line, year down the road is not the time to second guess.

but basically what he said, once you hit ocs your on the seawall and no diff than the other guys/gals.

m26

Contributor
I have a question that might fit into this thread. If anyone here goes to school out-of-state, how do summers work? I go to school in UT but would normally go back to NY in the summer. Do I just get with a NY OR to do the PRT, etc..?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I have a question that might fit into this thread. If anyone here goes to school out-of-state, how do summers work? I go to school in UT but would normally go back to NY in the summer. Do I just get with a NY OR to do the PRT, etc..?

You should need a summer PRT...PRT is generally conducted once in the fall, then again in the Spring. Worst case scenario have the recruiter you've been working with administer the PRT before you head home for the summer.

My best piece of advice is while on BDCP, get in the best shape as possible before heading to OCS. I was a non-BDCPer, and I was disgusted at how many BDCP/NUPOC rolled due to PT. It's as if their recruiter stopped giving them the PRT (which is more than possible), and they probably got comfortable and lazy drawing a paycheck while going to school and lost that hunger. No kidding, I had a BDCP guy roll into my class because he couldn't do 37 pushups on the in-PRT.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.

You would need to talk to your OR to find out the specifics but you need a PRT in the spring and fall. Mine fall in MAY and NOV. If you go home in the summer as well as the winter do them both there; and vice versa if you do them both in UTAH.

Depending on the facilities available this may or may not be possible. Again, contact your OR to find out for sure but I'm positive your not the only one who has had this situation and they will know what to do.

I personally have to drive three hours to Travis AFB for some reason to do mine. Passing the NRD in SF and SAC on the way.

m26

Contributor
You would need to talk to your OR to find out the specifics but you need a PRT in the spring and fall. Mine fall in MAY and NOV. If you go home in the summer as well as the winter do them both there; and vice versa if you do them both in UTAH.

For some reason I thought the PRT was bi-monthly, but this jogs my memory. I guess it's only contact with the recruiter once a month, or something like that? Phone call will suffice?

I know all this will get sorted if I get selected, but I'm just wondering what happens to my orders. If I'm ordered to active in SLC, will I need leave for summer, or get orders home, or something?

My best piece of advice is while on BDCP, get in the best shape as possible before heading to OCS. I was a non-BDCPer, and I was disgusted at how many BDCP/NUPOC rolled due to PT. It's as if their recruiter stopped giving them the PRT (which is more than possible), and they probably got comfortable and lazy drawing a paycheck while going to school and lost that hunger. No kidding, I had a BDCP guy roll into my class because he couldn't do 37 pushups on the in-PRT.

FWIW I'm determined not to let that happen. I've been working out almost nonstop since February working for this, so I'm not going to waste it. Besides, I'd think you'd want to be in the best shape possible if only to make life at OCS just a little bit more manageable.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
For some reason I thought the PRT was bi-monthly, but this jogs my memory. I guess it's only contact with the recruiter once a month, or something like that? Phone call will suffice?

I know all this will get sorted if I get selected, but I'm just wondering what happens to my orders. If I'm ordered to active in SLC, will I need leave for summer, or get orders home, or something?

General rule of thumb is that you contact your recruiter every time you get paid, so bi-monthly. Phone calls are all you need (technically it's supposed to be in-person). Every once in a while they will do a more in depth contact to make sure you haven't done anything stupid.

As long as you stay in contact with your recruiter you should be able to coordinate your PRT at whatever location you will be in (pending a near by base). You do not need new orders or leave when going between states during summer.

Just make sure you have your classes planned out. I had to take 27 units this semester because my school decided to cut the classes I needed for next semester. Big surprise for me, and you have a contract saying when you WILL graduate; don't break it. On the upside I get to take a minimal last semester and focus on some good PT for 6 months.

I'll echo everyone's advice on getting in the best shape for OCS. You don't want any extra attention because your "that guy" who barely can make standard when well rested.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
. I was a non-BDCPer, and I was disgusted at how many BDCP/NUPOC rolled due to PT. It's as if their recruiter stopped giving them the PRT (which is more than possible).

The PRT is one of the big requirements so I highly doubt they stopped administering them. However, PRT while in BDCP can be a little more relaxed. The officers who run the PRT are more forgiving on BDCP then fleet guys.

I do know however that I've seen more NUPOC guys barely make standards. Navy is going after all the qualified NUPOC they can find and sometime I feel they might smear the lines to pass them through the PRT. It wont fly at OCS but its all about supply and demand.

Depending on your designator I think they push you harder. I have been yelled at to push harder because I was a SNA; "What are you going for, Pilot?! You better run faster than that!"

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The PRT is one of the big requirements so I highly doubt they stopped administering them. However, PRT while in BDCP can be a little more relaxed. The officers who run the PRT are more forgiving on BDCP then fleet guys.

Think what you want, but how else can you explain people FAILING the in-PRT? Failures shouldn't be a surprise.

Also, my recruiter never administered a PRT and told me to "help him out" by marking off that he did when I got to OCS.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Think what you want, but how else can you explain people FAILING the in-PRT? Failures shouldn't be a surprise.

Also, my recruiter never administered a PRT and told me to "help him out" by marking off that he did when I got to OCS.

I agree that they should not be surprised by the time they get to OCS. I would imagine it would be more Direct Commision guys who have not had the practice. So in that regaurd I cant tell you other than their last year might be a tough one for ingineering majors and they let their PT slip.

Is the In-PRT performed on day one? (Can't remember) or is it after some kind of excersize? Some of these guys can BARELY pass and so any little factor could make them fail.

I can totally believe that your OR said that but at the same time my Inital PRT was even more relaxed then my BDCP PRTs. At PRT I do remember now that we count for each other so it's completely possible a pair decided to cover for each other too.

Ether way I think we can agree that if you consider yourself an officer candidate you need to get your ass in shape. PRT minimums should not be your MAXIMUM effort.