• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

blarged

ready
"There was this one time I was chipping paint ..."

Yeah ... a little extra motivation during those 12 weeks never hurt anybody.

jl08

pilot
An undesignated striker can choose a rate by taking and passing the E-4 advancement exam as long as said rate doesn't require an "A" school. It is not necessary to advance, just pass. Your job still sucks as an E-1 - E-3 regardless if you have a rate or not so I wouldn't even entertain the idea of failing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For the record, you both have the collective IQ of a screen door. I hope when you two buy your first houses you read more than just the words 'Home Loan' at the top of the paperwork before signing.

You guys are the same jackasses you see on the news that constantly get anally raped by variable interest rates and predatory loans and then whine about how 'unfair' it all is after you've signed the dotted line without looking.... :eek:

Some of us (coughMeridiancough) have more important things to commit to memory I guess :)

MasterBates

Having flown the 60 and 45...

Otto has FAR more to learn than ClownJet drivers. And that's not even getting into the weapons systems.

shankopotamus

Need to know info?

Hey y'all.

I feel kind of silly asking this question, but I'm curious as to what to do.

I've just begun the process of applying for BDCP. To start with, I'm by no means a competitive applicant. I have a 3.1 and I'm a criminal justice major. I play NCAA golf, (I guess my username is a wee paradox ;) ), and my references just know me well and do not otherwise stand-out. Anyway, my question is whether or not I should inform my OR of my learning disability? It is math related, (sort of like dyslexia with numbers). I feel like this issue could definitely impact my package, (ESPECIALLY my ASTB scores). I'm wondering if this is something I should inform him of before I start putting my package together. I definitely feel like my ld could possibly kill my chances of being accepted into bdcp, (or my chances of ever being considered for commission even), so I really just don't want to waste his time if this is just too far out of reach for me.

I hope some of that made sense?

IRfly

None
Well, can you do math or not? Can you learn quickly or not? (And by the way, your personal answers to these questions don't really matter--the Navy will find out in its own ways.) I don't see why you should tell him; if you rock the ASTB, well, then it's not that much of a disability, is it? If you get a poor score, neither your recruiter nor the demands of the job for which your are applying are going to cut you any slack because of your LD.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Well, be honest about it. Is it diagnosed by a doctor or professional of some sort? Or is it more like, I occasionally read a number incorrectly?
If it's going to put yourself and others at risk, and/or it's documented by a professional, you definitely need to bring this up to your recruiter.

I looked at a Wikipedia page for Dyscalculia briefly, and the symptoms sound quite severe. Debilitatingly severe.

EDIT: After reading IRfly's post, he makes a good point about this and again I feel some of it comes down to your medical. You're going to fill out a lot of stuff for MEPS. They want to know your medical history, so it depends on how this has been diagnosed and handled thus far, and whether it's going to interfere.

Red Pilgrim

Just be aware of what is required of you if you go with BDCP and how you'll be placed as a designated striker should you not get adequate grades or not make it through OCS. If your LD is severe enough it could potentially harm you in one of those areas.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And that "I have a learning disability" gets you no slack in the flight program. You will be expected to pass the same tests, with the same grades, in the same amount of time as everyone else.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The barrage of questions you have to answer during medical screening/physical ask you about past surgeries, injuries of certain types and seeing anyone in mental health profession so that will require an honest answer and records as to what your final diagnosis was and if you don't have, your seek a final opinion of attending physician as to your suitability for military service. If you are competing at NCAA level and making decent grades, you have learned to cope at some level. Docs will decide if that level correlates to being able to cope in a stressful military setting. My advice is let the process work and be honest. They haver been screening people for decades so you're likely not the first with this "disability".

As to references, it's not like you have to know an Admiral or Senator. Your NCAA coach would be a sure bet and count a lot in my book. You you competed in HS as I suspect you did, then go back for a visit and include that coach as well. Think about your academic advisors in HS or College as well as they would could count as someone who likely knew about your disability and your ability to overcome it.

MasterBates

Flight school and the screening process is to see if you can hack it in the program/fleet.

There is no time out for 'hey I need a minute because I have *insert PC term for problem here* before we push/charlie/drop"

I know people with slight math problems and they do OK. But if you are supposed to marshall at 15K and 30DME and you marshall somewhere else... Lets just say there could be serious issues. Or crunching numbers.. Quick example.. 46,500-42,300 = 4200.. If you transpose that to 2400 you just ate a lot of your divert options. (that's the max trap for an E-2 and a basic weight I pulled out of my ass).

And yes before some NATOPS nazi jumps up in my shit, I know the E-2 won't let you dump down that far. Close, but not quite.

I know people that have learning issues that NOMI is probably not aware of flying, but you gotta be honest with yourself in the "can this get me/others hurt/killed/lose a $100M plane"

IRfly

None
Bottom line: taking the ASTB and going through the process isn't wasting the recruiter's time. Actually, it's just asking him to do his job. If you get hung up at some point along the way (poor test scores, mediocre grades, medical screening) then you shake hands with the recruiter and go along your way.

By the way, with some of the recent nuggets to show up at my squadron, I'd say we now have no fewer than 8 diagnosable learning disabilities now represented in the wardroom...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Alright, I can't take it anymore... What is going on w/ your avatar, shankopatomas? I know what it looks like, but what is it actually supposed to be?