• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
All of the people I saw go down for medical reasons in OCS (and I saw a LOT), got released from their obligation and sent home. Being medically NPQ'd has nothing to do with you not holding up your side of the bargain.

Red Pilgrim

How would that work, Pilgrim? If you aren't medically qualified for any officer programs, why would you be medically qualified for an enlisted one?

I meant more along the lines of if you break a leg during an exercise. I don't know how intensive OCS is so I'm just assuming something like that could happen.

I'm not exactly keen on the idea of being placed as an undesignated striker should something unfortunate happen but I'll talk to my recruiter about it next time I talk to him.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I meant more along the lines of if you break a leg during an exercise. I don't know how intensive OCS is so I'm just assuming something like that could happen.

I'm not exactly keen on the idea of being placed as an undesignated striker should something unfortunate happen but I'll talk to my recruiter about it next time I talk to him.

Forgive my lack of knowledges, but as a Naval Officer, I've never heard the term "undesignated Striker"...??

And no, if you get hurt, you're not going to go enlisted. There have been folks who have fracture shit and spent the better part of a year at OCS or longer. If you don't want to quit and are giving it a good effort, they will make EVERY effort on their end to keep you.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Forgive my lack of knowledges, but as a Naval Officer, I've never heard the term "undesignated Striker"...??

I think this term is even quoted in the BDCP contract but I'd need to look at mine again. It means you will be just that, a seaman with no designation. You'll do whatever tasks are demanded of you on which ever platform you are sent to, nothing glamorous at all. Only unlike regular enlisted who use this as a chance to see the fleet and pick a designator, a BDCPer is given no opportunity to get a designation. You will just do your obligated service and be shown the door.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Forgive my lack of knowledges, but as a Naval Officer, I've never heard the term "undesignated Striker"...?
An undesignated striker is an E-1 to E-3 that has not yet chosen or been assigned a rate.

Their problem is that they might not get the chose option.

blarged

ready
An undesignated striker is an E-1 to E-3 that has not yet chosen or been assigned a rate.

Their problem is that they might not get the chose option.

I may not understand the enlisted side (or much of the vocab, I learn as I read), but how is that an enlisted sailor is not assigned a rate? On the officer side of things we have communities, if a sailor is 'undesignated', does that really just mean they are the 'handyman' that does whatever needs to be done.

If you quit BDCP, you do not have the opportunity to take the ASVAB or have an enlisted career? I know I read on here somewhere a long while back about a girl who was BDCP, went to OCS, dropped, spent like a year in H, went to great lakes, spent 2 years enlisted, then applied back to OCS and was accepted and is now commissioned. I'll do some more searching and see if I can find that thread.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Rog. I figured that's what it was from context. Just never heard the exact term "undesignated striker" before.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Then apparently you didn't read your BDCP contract, because those words were in there. :D

Other than checking for the words SNA, 8 years and such, I couldn't care less. Unlike countless posts on here, I never entertained the idea of quitting/not making it.... until I got to OCS, which I think is the way it should be and the way the program was intended. ;)

lmnop

I may not understand the enlisted side (or much of the vocab, I learn as I read), but how is that an enlisted sailor is not assigned a rate? On the officer side of things we have communities, if a sailor is 'undesignated', does that really just mean they are the 'handyman' that does whatever needs to be done.

Basically. Mess cranking..err, FSA now I guess, chipping and painting, stores onload, trash offload, line handlers, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately for them, if it's an un-fun job odds are that an undesignated SN/FN/AN is doing it.

Not sure if it's still the same, but the recruiters used to try and make it out to be a good deal if you were unsure what rate you wanted. "You can go in undesignated and get to see alot of jobs and then pick the one you want!" Yea, right.

m26

Contributor
I seem to remember hearing that if you DOR'd, you could do a 4 year enlistment and get a rate, but I couldn't find it in search. Sound familiar, anyone?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
The way it was explained to me (or maybe in the bdcp contract), was that if you didn't Commission then you would be required to serve X (2?) years as an undesignated stryker, if you wanted to pick a job/rate/whatever, you could, but it was going to be more than X (2?) years and out. Since like Otto, I didn't plan to not complete OCS, I didn't pay much attention to the details.

Edit: ...of how the enlisted rating/non-designator option worked. Plus, I have since forgotten extremely useful numbers like the exact amount of years that I would have had to serve if I failed OCS. Remember the rules to four square or the characters to Doug? Me either.

So far it was being said that BDCP failures had no choice but to be an undesignated E-3, I was merely saying that from what I recall that is not always true.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Other than checking for the words SNA, 8 years and such, I couldn't care less.

I didn't pay much attention to the details.

For the record, you both have the collective IQ of a screen door. I hope when you two buy your first houses you read more than just the words 'Home Loan' at the top of the paperwork before signing.

You guys are the same jackasses you see on the news that constantly get anally raped by variable interest rates and predatory loans and then whine about how 'unfair' it all is after you've signed the dotted line without looking.... :eek:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For the record, you both have the collective IQ of a screen door. I hope when you two buy your first houses you read more than just the words 'Home Loan' at the top of the paperwork before signing.

You guys are the same jackasses you see on the news that constantly get anally raped by variable interest rates and predatory loans and then whine about how 'unfair' it all is after you've signed the dotted line without looking.... :eek:

Apples to oranges. Getting a pilot slot and knowing the general details about the contract is a far cry from engaging in the biggest financial obligation of your life.

Give me a break.

lmnop

The way it was explained to me (or maybe in the bdcp contract), was that if you didn't Commission then you would be required to serve X (2?) years as an undesignated stryker, if you wanted to pick a job/rate/whatever, you could, but it was going to be more than X (2?) years and out.

Not really BDCP related, but some general Navy/Military kind of stuff...

Strykers:

strykers32.jpg

Strikers:

strikers.jpg