• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

stephanie.garza

Hello all-
I'm new to this community and forum, but from what I've explored so far it looks great! I am currently an active duty staff sergeant and I'm planning to submit my application for the BDCP in the coming months. My main question is regarding pay after completing my degree and upon arrival at OCS. As I said, I am currently an active duty E-6; if I am accepted into the program, I will take the pay cut to E-4 pay and BAH (which is fine because I'd be getting paid to attend college full time!)
So finally the actual question: I am not married and have no dependants; I currently live off-base in Newport, RI. When I report to OCS, will I continue to receive BAH? Will I be paid for the rank I held during BDCP or as an E-6? These are fairly situation-specific questions, but this forum seems great with helping out, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
PS> feel free to throw a zinger out about a Marine going Navy side. :)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Hello all-
I'm new to this community and forum, but from what I've explored so far it looks great! I am currently an active duty staff sergeant and I'm planning to submit my application for the BDCP in the coming months. My main question is regarding pay after completing my degree and upon arrival at OCS. As I said, I am currently an active duty E-6; if I am accepted into the program, I will take the pay cut to E-4 pay and BAH (which is fine because I'd be getting paid to attend college full time!)
So finally the actual question: I am not married and have no dependants; I currently live off-base in Newport, RI. When I report to OCS, will I continue to receive BAH? Will I be paid for the rank I held during BDCP or as an E-6? These are fairly situation-specific questions, but this forum seems great with helping out, so I figured I'd throw it out there.
PS> feel free to throw a zinger out about a Marine going Navy side. :)

Yea you are a different level then the typical applicant for BDCP! ;)

Honestly, I can't help you out much as I would only be speculating. But I would like to say Welcome Aboard! You will certainly be able to help future applicants with the experience you will gain throughout this process. Good Luck!

Lucy

If I remember correctly you cannot be on active duty and doing BDCP. The authorization page only lists Reserve active duty as a source. Not sure if this is a wording issue,but I believe you would need to do a inter-service transfer than have to go through STA-21 or one of the other programs. Otherwise you would need to finish your commitment to the Marines and then apply for BDCP. Authorization is here-http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA_147_BDCP.pdf Not sure about the pay, if going from reserve than you would retain pay, but as an active duty I don't know.

That said, and before you decide, talk to a Recruiter because BDCP is not currently available. Some have said it is on a case-by-case basis but that hasn't seemed to be the case yet.

stephanie.garza

Hi Lucy-
Thanks for the info! The recruiter is actually the one who gave me the info for BDCP and said I was eligible. The catch was that I had to be within 24 months of my degree (I am) and that if/when accepted, I would essentially be discharged from the Marine Corps and enlisted in the Navy. (I thought it would be an interservice transfer as well, but it is just a 'conditional release' that needs to be approved by my command) As to whether it is active reserve or not, he didn't specify. He just said that I would be receiving E-4 pay and BAH while attending school.
As far as it not being available... he said there's a board in April and it might be the last of the year. Hopefully he's not just blowing smoke. If it is case by case, well I guess I better study my a** off for the ASTB and hope for the best!

Lucy

Def. study like crazy! Just some back history for ya. Use to be BDCP could have 300, got restricted down to 100 last summer, with about 150 within 12 months, 100 in 24 months, and 50 for 24-36 months(tech degrees). So that would mean that any spots that open are going to be from the graduating May/June classes, so at the most it will be a case-by-case basis for how many each desginator gets (basically you take someone else spot versus there being vacancies). And it was tough before hand! My OR still gives me crap for not putting in for SWO BDCP last summer, I only submitted for Intel planning on adding SWO if I wasn't picked up in July. Hindsights 20/20 eh?

Best of luck to you!

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
Just FYI, I don't know if it's different for prior service in BDCP, but I get paid at E-3 not E-4, with opportunity to advance to E-4 and E-5 through reccomendations that lead to an OCS accession or 2 semesters of deans list (3.5/4.0), 1 pay grade promotion for each. Upon completion of your degree you're retro'd pay of E-5 (pay of E-5 commences on day of graduation I believe, hence the retro) and then E-5 all throuout OCS. I know I read somewhere that if you had a higher pay grade before OCS you would receive your current pay, but I'm not sure if that goes for BDCP as well. Good Luck!

stephanie.garza

Just FYI, I don't know if it's different for prior service in BDCP, but I get paid at E-3 not E-4, with opportunity to advance to E-4 and E-5 through reccomendations that lead to an OCS accession or 2 semesters of deans list (3.5/4.0), 1 pay grade promotion for each. Upon completion of your degree you're retro'd pay of E-5 (pay of E-5 commences on day of graduation I believe, hence the retro) and then E-5 all throuout OCS. I know I read somewhere that if you had a higher pay grade before OCS you would receive your current pay, but I'm not sure if that goes for BDCP as well. Good Luck!

Thanks for looking out! After seeing your post and of course just for my info, I have been trying to find the order on BDCP. For the life of me I cannot find anything official- no NAVADMIN, no instruction. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places... (isn't that a song?) Can anyone help me out??

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks for looking out! After seeing your post and of course just for my info, I have been trying to find the order on BDCP. For the life of me I cannot find anything official- no NAVADMIN, no instruction. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places... (isn't that a song?) Can anyone help me out??

I believe you would apply like you would for OCS but your designator numerical ID would be slightly different. So you would look at this manual (obviously the most recent addition and I don't know if this is it) and follow it.

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/01000%20Military%20Personnel%20Support/01-400%20Promotion%20and%20Advancement%20Programs/1420.%201B.pdf

But instead of applying 13900 for NA direct you would apply for 13907 I believe for BDCP. This was just an example but I think you get the point. If not ask. Here is some BDCP info.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AnmGiPyFZxI/S2sTUZgPerI/AAAAAAAAAQA/GCC4goIyLFU/s1600-h/IMG_0001.jpg

CStudent

Out of curiosity: Is it possible (legal?) to work for a defense contractor like Lockheed Martin while in BDCP?

Both Lockheed and Northrup Grumman have attractive jobs and internships near my school. I'd be very interested in checking them out, and I suspect BDCP and a security clearance could help get me in the door. Just curious if there's some kind of rule prohibiting active duty service members for working with a defense contractor simultaneously? (I would imagine there is. :-P)

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
I believe thats a conflict of interests issue, that whole ethics thing haha. I can't find anything concrete on it at the moment, but I do recall something along those lines, I think its a big ethics no no. But thats all speculation and worth nada here, just figured I'd toss in my $.02.

stephanie.garza

Well,I just got word from the OR that BDCP is, in fact, in a freeze. Based on the defense budget and all that **(^ going on right now, I imagine it will be a permanent freeze, aka, end of opportunity. I hope I'm wrong. I'm going to continue putting my stuff together, but I don't have much hope that it will ever get to a board. Thank you, everyone, for the help and well-wishes. Semper gumby.