• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1001 questions (and answers) concerning BDCP

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Sorry about that. I guess that proves my case for PRK :D I'm pretty sure I've gotten the LOR's pretty well taken care of. I have the Commander, a Cheif Petty Officer, My college advisor and former college advisor, my former employers, and the Sheriff of my county who's also a former Air Force pilot and current Civil Air Patrol pilot. Hope that's enough. The chief of police where I live might agree to be a reference. It's the benefit of living in a small area, you get to know everybody.

lovingsandiego

The BDCP

I am considering signing up for the BDCP program next year, and I was wondering if any of you had to take the ASVAB, and go to boot camp before completing your degree? My last question is what is the total amount of time given to complete your college education?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No to ASVAB. No to Bootcamp. Up to 36 months before graduation if you're pursuing a technical degree and 24 months if non-tech.

pensfan341

Still awaiting my final select letter... but thought I would drop in with a couple questions:

1) Where is the Supply Corps 'school' located?

2) Is anybody familiar with the process of attaining an MBA on the Navy's dime while serving?

Miyansha

Hey everyone. I had a question if anyone can field an answer for me regarding BDCP. I currently attend American Military University, which is an accredited online school, mostly because my husband is an enlisted nuke. can I still apply for BDCP if I go to an online school?

My other question is are there any initial physical requirements for the program? I have a few extra pounds to shed before OCS (if I get accepted) or boot camp (if I don't) and I have 2 years left for my degree so I have pleanty of time to do it.

Thanks!

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Can't help you with your first question but for the physical req. you need to be able to pass the Navy PRT with at LEAST a good-low in all categories before you will be sworn in. You can start the application process now however, and get in shape by the time you need to pass the test (depending on how much a few pounds is to you). Check this site to find out what your req. for a good-low score are.

http://www.navy-prt.com/femalestandard/femalestandard.html

Good luck.

Miyansha

Thanks for the answer. I already know I can pass the PRT. One of the perks of being a volunteer firefighter for 5 + years. I'll talk to my husband's recruiter on Monday or the one here on base to see if they have any information about the online schooling for me.

JSnake

Still awaiting my final select letter... but thought I would drop in with a couple questions:

1) Where is the Supply Corps 'school' located?

2) Is anybody familiar with the process of attaining an MBA on the Navy's dime while serving?

1) Currently in Georgia, but I believe they're moving to Newport, RI in a year or so.

2) My OR was getting his MBA at NYU when I met him. You get the chance to get your MBA done during your shore duty, but you'll have to do a part time program. Your full time job is still with the Navy. My OR took night classes about 3 days out of the week and got his MBA done in about 2 years. From what I heard from him, there were quite a few Navy officers in his classes, roughly 15-20% in some classes.

pensfan341

thanks for the response.

Obviously one of the benefits of being in the Navy is the travel opportunities.

What are the specific places that you are likely to travel to in the Navy? Or is it completely random?

Miyansha

I understand if this sounds like a stupid question to you all, but I haven't gotten a straight answer, and I've talked to 5 OR's.

I'm trying to go for the BDCP, but I go to an online school, and my husband is about to be stationed in Yokosuka, Japan at the completion of his nuke training. I have been told that online schools are aloud, but they haven't given me any information about being overseas and still able to do the program. With that being said, can OCSN's be stationed overseas with a spouse and still be able to complete the program?

My second question is regarding SNA. I am turning 25 next month, and the age cut-off for the navy avation program is 26. I am currently a freshman (6 credits from sophomore level) and will be a junior at the end of the year. I will be eligable for graduation the end of the summer semester of '11, and should have my degree by then (hopefully). The question: If I get accepted to BDCP, is it possible to be eligable go to flight school at the end of OCS, seeing as I'll be 27? Is that waverable?

Thanks guys, in advance.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I'm not too sure about the age restriction, as I've heard of people getting waivers for that and then others say you cant. As for the overseas part I can say that I'm in BDCP for SNA and overseas currently studying abroad for an entire year. My OR is being very helpful with this, making me just contact him by phone or e-mail with an update on my grades, physical fitness etc. once a month. However, I'm not sure how long you can go without seeing your OR in person on BDCP. Usually it's 3 months but I guess exceptions can be made as in my case or you can check in with military officials at a local base rather than your OR. If you're going to be near a U.S. facility that could be the answer.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Miyansha:

Concerning the online coursework I believe its the online school you are attending. If you are attending University of Phoenix it is accepted, however, not all online schools are recognized by the military. I believe the BDCP has the same age requirements as OCS enterance. You must be commisioned prior to your 27th B-Day to become an SNA unless your prior service. I know that if you are prior service you automatically recieve an age waiver for SNA as long as you are commisioned prior to your 29th birthday. I can't speak for the non prior experience as trying to obtain an age waiver and I don't know if they will give you one considering how backed up they are in the pipeline. All I can truly say is good luck!

Aimhigh

SAT scores required for BDCP

I recently found out from my OR that SAT scores are required in the application and this is a big problem for me because the university I am in does not require SAT scores for acceptance. Now, I have to take the ASTB and SAT. I am trying to send in my package by the end of spring 2010. I am sophomore and also a full-time student.

Has anyone been or is in this situation?

Thanks