• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C Aviation Cruise Billets

STARFlight145

Does anyone know the hold-up with the 1/C aviation cruise billets? In the meantime, any tips, hints or suggestions to anyone going this summer, such as myself? As far as fun-factor and flight time, should I choose ashore or afloat?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If you know you want to be a pilot, I wouldn't even ask for an aviation cruise. I knew well in advance that I wanted aviation, so I chose to take a unique cruise instead (Foreign Exchange w/ the JMSDF). Request the most exotic cruise you can get or the coolest location (i.e. overseas). I had friends that hit Vietnam on a SWO cruise.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nozeman has a good point, but when I was a mid I knew I wanted to fly and did as many aviation related cruises as possible (2/c afloat on a CV, 1/c aviation ashore).....no regrets about this. It could be that I had lots of access to surface and sub tours and events living in the PNW, but I didn't have much other curiosity when it came time to go on my 1/c cruise. I know some guys who did aviation afloat and got basically no flight time, and I know some who stuck to it and got to fly in lots of airwing aircraft. If you go that route, best advice I have is to see everything you can, meet everyone you can, and don't be that guy who just hangs in his rack reading all day. It is a really exciting place, and it will take at least a week or two for you to do everything that you might want to do. When those things are knocked out, try checking out some of the less "cool" stuff, and get around to talk to folks. There are a lot of out of the way shops who will be really excited to show you what they do, and you will likely learn a lot from these places as well. Get out on the flight deck as much as possible, and try and spend some time on the platform if you can get in with paddles.

If you choose ashore, there will be lots of down time. You can probably expect to fly at least a couple times, if not more depending on scheduling. That said, don't smother the SDO/ODO with requests for flights. Hang out, talk to people, and learn to figure out when there may be a flight that could have your name on it. Then respectfully ask the duty officer to see if they could fit you in. Definitely don't give them attitude if they say no. In many cases they will go out of their way to hook you up (like switching an IP into a double bubble jet from a single for example), but do not expect this. Since you will have mostly down time while there, look for things to do in the area. Who knows, it could be a future duty station for you (my 1/c cruise was in what will probably be my first fleet home....Lemoore), or it could be at least a good experience in where you don't want to live. Biggest thing to do here is meet people, talk to them, and get a feel for the community. My 1/c cruise buddy is now an NSAWC instructor, and I ran into him at tailhook this year as well. Another IP I trunked with on middie cruise in the Rhino is now a reserve IP in Meridian, and I flew a couple ACM hops with him before I winged. You can count on seeing a lot of these folks in the coming years, so make a good impression!

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you know you want to be a pilot, I wouldn't even ask for an aviation cruise. I knew well in advance that I wanted aviation, so I chose to take a unique cruise instead (Foreign Exchange w/ the JMSDF). Request the most exotic cruise you can get or the coolest location (i.e. overseas). I had friends that hit Vietnam on a SWO cruise.

This is good gouge. I knew I wanted to fly and I went helos san diego. And I learned that I was right about wanting to fly and I reaffirmed the fact that SD is a nice city.

However, part of me wishes I had done a foreign exchange. When else are you going to get a chance to do that? I've had plenty of chances to fly, but not one chance to spend that kind of time with a foreign navy. I think I would have gotten a whole lot more out of that as both an officer and a person. A lot of 1/c aviation cruise is killing down time. It's sweet to cut out at 10am everyday and go and take a nap, but I could have done that living at home with mom. Once you do some sims and fly, there's not a lot else for a mid to see and do around a squadron. It's not like you want to help out the LegalO with his adsep stuff or the NATOPS officer scrub jackets.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you take an afloat cruise and go to a Hornet squadron, you may not get to fly a Hornet. Pretty much every time the middies showed up they got stuck flying in the helo only.
If you can get a TACAIR unit ashore, you'll have a better chance of actually getting to fly in one of those aircraft.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
If you take an afloat cruise and go to a Hornet squadron, you may not get to fly a Hornet. Pretty much every time the middies showed up they got stuck flying in the helo only.

This is exactly how my 1/C afloat cruise went. And we had to work for that helo ride. Everyone's just really busy. But I also got to spend time in Hong Kong, Guam, and Singapore. So it wasn't bad at all.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
starflight, im in the same boat as you... i put in for a 1st phase but who knows...only one guy found out at my unit so far, i think he's early 1st phase ashore

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you can get a TACAIR unit ashore, you'll have a better chance of actually getting to fly in one of those aircraft.

True story. I probably wouldn't have flown much on my 1/c cruise if I hadn't had the FRS to fly with (ashore only)......most of the fleet 2-seater squadrons were simply too busy training to give middie rides. One other bonus to the Hornets ashore option is that you can probably bag a few T-34 rides while you are there, stick time normally included.

On a side note, if any of you middies come up to Miramar and -101 for a Hornet ride this summer during CORTRAMID, come find me, I'll be the Navy cat 1 student who looks your age :)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The first day of my 1/c aviation underway cruise they told us that none of us would be getting to fly and welcomed us to the boat... Meanwhile the MIDN my squadron have had on Aviation ashore cruises got to go on det to Europe and the Far East... and got a decent amount of flight time along the way.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Getting a helo squadron isn't even a guarantee, we had middies all summer (4 sets), and not one mid got a ride in the front because we used all our hours and flights on workups. We got them rides in the back, but that was about it. One managed to bum a ride of the our CAG's Prowler squadron.

Thats why I make the original statement about not even doing an aviation cruise...in my opinion you don't get a good snapshot of what we do. We have an awesome job, but it doesn't translate into a productive summer cruise. Request a FOREX to Japan or Australia, seriously. FOREX with Japan was an absolute blast.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's definitely a crapshoot, to echo everyone else. I got a helo squadron in Mayport. I got to fly 3 times, 2 times in the front seat and one time in the back hanging my feet out the door with the gunners belt. The squadron also got us a decent amount of sim time, which we mainly used in failing to land on the boat and shooting hellfires onto downtown San Diego. Overall good times. The squadron did have PT so we did wake up early for that, but other than that the other mids and I got a lot of time to explore Jacksonville and tan on the beach. I loved it, especially since I knew I was not medically qualified for pilot that this would be my only chance to see helo world.

STARFlight145

All good information, thank y'all for the responses! I've already put in for an aviation cruise. As interesting as FOREX sounds, I can't change my option at this point. From what everyone is saying, I'm pretty sure I want to stay ashore. More flight time for the most part, and I get to explore a city/potential station. I'd love an HSL/HSM squadron out of San Diego or Mayport, but I obviously have to give in to whatever is available.

starflight, im in the same boat as you... i put in for a 1st phase but who knows...only one guy found out at my unit so far, i think he's early 1st phase ashore

I don't know what the deal is this year, I'm used to getting cruise options at least a couple weeks before now. I put in for 1st phase as well, still waiting to hear. Not even the SWO or sub guys at my unit have received their options. Wonder if this is a result of the DoD budget cuts.

Pags

N/A
pilot
All good information, thank y'all for the responses! I've already put in for an aviation cruise. As interesting as FOREX sounds, I can't change my option at this point. From what everyone is saying, I'm pretty sure I want to stay ashore. More flight time for the most part, and I get to explore a city/potential station. I'd love an HSL/HSM squadron out of San Diego or Mayport, but I obviously have to give in to whatever is available.

If you're gonna do aviation, do it ashore. Then you can at least go sit on the beach, party, eat real food, etc. The boat and it's suckiness will still be there in a few years (says the guy who did two land based long cruises). That being said, if they send a det out for a week or so, go with em.

If you get SD, go out and buy a cheap used bike (or ask around the squadron) and use it to shlep around Coronado on.

HSL/HSM? Really?

STARFlight145

HSL/HSM? Really?

Yep. My dad started off as an AW in H-2's, went through ECP and flight school and flew 60B's. Always wanted to do the same, it's what I grew up with. I know most of the appeal of Naval Aviation lies in jets, and they are certainly great, but I grew up a rotorhead.

Spent part of my life in San Diego, was born in Coronado. Spent my 2/C cruise there, basically paid vacation, love the area. Also spent two years in Mayport before my dad retired from HSL-40.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yep. My dad started off as an AW in H-2's, went through ECP and flight school and flew 60B's. Always wanted to do the same, it's what I grew up with. I know most of the appeal of Naval Aviation lies in jets, and they are certainly great, but I grew up a rotorhead.

Spent part of my life in San Diego, was born in Coronado. Spent my 2/C cruise there, basically paid vacation, love the area. Also spent two years in Mayport before my dad retired from HSL-40.

I'm just hating on HSL/HSM because I'm an HSC guy.