• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1/C Aviation Cruise Billets

STARFlight145

I'm just hating on HSL/HSM because I'm an HSC guy.

:icon_tong

Definitely interested in HSC, I'd love to go to one of those squadrons if offered. My dad was in San Diego as a Sikorsky test pilot, training the H-46 guys on the brand new 60S.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Realize that middies going to a squadron are mostly going to be seen as a nuisance. Sucks, but that's most likely how it is, especially if they're in the middle of work-ups. They've got a shitload of work to do, every flight hour is fragged for something vital, and nobody has any extra time to herd college kids with no quals around. At best, you're going to get tasked with doing busywork - this is at least good training for being a stashed Ensign.

My point in telling you this is, if you want to get something out of your 1/c cruise, you're going to have to make your own program. You're not likely to get much if any flying time, but you should never find yourself just sitting on your ass in the Ready Room reading the paper. Go explore, talk to the e-dogs in the shops and find out what they do. Ask if you can tag along on a low-power turn, watch a drop check, stuff like that. Neither are you restricted to your own squadron - ashore or afloat, go look about and see what there is to see.

If you for some reason don't get that aviation cruise, don't despair. As noze and others said, you can learn a lot. My firstie cruise was on an SSN in the Med. Hit some great ports, learned a lot about how subs do their business, learned that I don't want to be a sub guy (important lesson). I'll probably never set foot on a sub again, but it was a neato experience.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Uncle Fester brings up a great point......your middie cruises are likely to be your first and only meaningful interactions with the enlisted side of the house for several years if you go the aviation route upon commissioning. My advice would be to try and learn as much about them, their careers, and their responsibilities as you can during this time.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
I did a 1/C cruise with HSC-2 in Norfolk. We flew in the helo a whopping two times, but we got stick time with both. It was a sweet experience, but keep in mind it is what you make it. I can't speak for all cruises, but mine wasn't very busy. We only went to the squadron when they had something for us to do, which wasn't that often. If we weren't there, we were in the BOQ or at the beach. To get the most out of it, ASK QUESTIONS! Ask anything you can of anyone. We wound up getting a flight with the C-2 Greyhound guys who were doing quals on that one field out in the middle of no where, and we spent a good 5 hours out with them. We also got to spend a flight in another helo squadron with some of the CORTRAMID East kiddies (in the back, of course). If you don't ask, though, you won't get things!

So don't waste your time. I spent more time in my room than I probably should have. Oh well.

Also, HRT sucks. 2 hours on a bus is boring as crap.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Be aware that with Aviation Ashore you also roll the dice to get sent to the VQs... Not that there's anything wrong with that, but spending a week and a half at Edwards on alert wasn't awesome, especially with the fires in the hills.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
And yes, we were stashed at the BOQ. I was on the same floor I had for CORTRAMID, which was kinda lame. BUT it's your own room. So yeah.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
a bunch of people found out all kinds of cruise assignments, including one kid who got vfa-125 at lemoore...still waiting though, hmmm