• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

Quick question. I know the ASTB scores are transferable between the Marine Corps and the Navy but the Marine recruiter told me I can only apply for one or the other, not both at the same time. Then I see others on the forums talking about their application for both. I just want to know if I'm being fed some BS because I can't get a clear answer. Though I am waste deep in the Navy with Navy specific LOR's and what not.

Is he at least giving you dessert with that BS he is feeding you?

JSaint23

Hi all! I suppose it is finally my time to write on here.

After using this forum for as many tips, hints, tricks, and information I took my third attempt at the ASTB today.

First attempt: 35 1/2/1 - Sometime around 2016
Second attempt: 50 4/5/4 - 13 Aug 2019
Third attempt: 54 7/8/6 - 12 Sept 2019

Going into my last test I was pretty nervous, but as soon as I sat down the nervousness went away. I have to thank everyone on here that has posted their guides, tips, tricks, hints, etc. I did what everyone else stated to do, go back about 30-40 pages and just READ, save the information on your computer, write it down, whatever helps you find it easier. After going through all of the gouges, I searched online "ASTB Flashcards" and a ton of information came up. So thank you everyone who has contributed! I'll be applying for SNA in the upcoming board!

Math: It started fairly simple with probability and ratio problems, did some algebra (nothing too crazy, negative exponent divided by other numbers with exponents) and ended up with matrix problems. The test kicked me out early after a few matrix problems. I am no where near a math whiz, and used YouTube to tutor myself, I watched Khan Academy and The Organic Chemistry Tutor mainly. The books did not explain the math well enough for me.

Reading: Like everyone else stated, bland and boring. I read car manuals, old navy documents (NAVADMIN helped out a lot) and used some of the practice problems I found on this website and books.

Mechanical: Super easy, this is where my studies were focused. I had a questions about at which point is velocity the highest in a tube, a few electricity questions, one was about a piece of metal wrapped around a nail and how much voltage it could run if it was not around the nail, and then some lever stuff. YouTube again has great information and the information on the website is plentiful.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory: It sucked, there is no way to study for it, but the way I answered was, "would I rather" in a sense would I rather blow a stop sign, or would I rather break something and not tell anyone. I attempted to choose the answer that was more like me, but also one that showed leadership and taking responsibility.

ANIT: Studied pretty hard for this one as well. Definitely brush up on ALL major aviation history, not just Navy. Some questions were "which aircraft first broke the sound barrier" Which aircraft was fitted for refueling during Operation Iraqi Freedom. There is tons of information out there.

PBM: This is where I started getting nervous again, but after the compass section I decided to treat it more as a video game, instead of test, and I actually started smiling and having fun. I did the compass trick found on YouTube, definitely helped. I recommend downloading Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) from Steam, and get a cheap throttle and joystick (Navy uses the Saitek X52), and just familiarize yourself with multitasking. The vertical tracking and stick tracking are simple enough, the dichotic listening is where things get harder. When it first started I learned into the target ear, and closed my eyes. Once the dichotic listening and target tracking started I still leaned over to the target ear, and my MAIN focus was listening. The last section with the emergencies was cake as well, just write down the procedures on the paper, and learn which way the engine power and fuel moves the needle.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask, I'll try to answer anything to the best of my ability!
J,

Do you happen to remember any more of the type of Math you encountered during your September session of the test?

D

Deleted member 67926

Might sound like a dumb question. On the EST test, is the red or yellow gauge the lowest setting? So if an "engine malfunction," would I move both fuel and power to either red or yellow to raise to 100?

aspiringSwo

Does anyone know why the answer to this step up transformer question would be C? It is my understanding that the step up transformer would take electricity from the smaller voltage, higher current from the small coil and transform it into higher voltage, lower current of the larger coil. Is the answer key wrong? Picture of the problem attached.

Attachments

• Step Up Transformer.jpg
    Step Up Transformer.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 106

jlebsock

Does anyone know why the answer to this step up transformer question would be C? It is my understanding that the step up transformer would take electricity from the smaller voltage, higher current from the small coil and transform it into higher voltage, lower current of the larger coil. Is the answer key wrong? Picture of the problem attached.

Yeah i saw that a few months ago. it should say "step down transformer" and its kind of a vague question because they don't label primary and secondary coils which sort of help. here is a link to help clear it up.

https://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/how-do-transformers-work.html

JSaint23

Hey all! Taking the exam next month and this site has been truly helpful. Quick question I had that I haven't seen, is that do they provide formula sheets on the exam? I heard this somewhere but was not quite sure. If so what does it consist of? Thank you!
Yes, they provide a list of formulas in the upper left hand corner of the test I believe but they explain where to find them before your time officially begins on the test so don‘t waist any brain power trying to remember the formulas. My advice is have the Area formula’s memorized, especially the circle Area formula and the formula for the circumference of a circle.

J

jlebsock

Took the ASTB. OAR: 51 7/8/7. GPA is 3.6 for a Business Admin degree. I studied off and on during my last semester of college. I didn't even really study the the week leading up to the exam and that probably hurt my OAR score. My advice is just the same as the others before me. As a side note, I seriously think I'm mentally handicap when it comes to math and it wasn't that bad for me. Just don't underestimate it.

Also, for people who are pilots, I would suggest getting some time in a cub or something that is stick and rudder flying. I put 17 hours in an Aeronca Champ ( mostly just for the fun of it) and I think it helped with the PBM. Just some food for thought for those who do have access to that kind of resource.

-Cheers.

tkizzle96

Just took the ASTB for the 2nd time on Monday, Jan. 6th.. I took the exam for the first time near the end of November and got a 39 - OAR, 4 - AQR, 6 PFAR, and 5 - FOFAR. I was disappointed but I thought, hey it’s the first time (no previous flight experience and wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of difficulty on the adaptive questions and PBM). I went in the 2nd time with a good understanding of those questions and on the 2nd attempt I received a 49 - OAR, a 6 - AQR, a 9 - PFAR, and an 8 - FOFAR.

Math - I knew almost immediately that I was doing better than the first time because I was getting a lot harder questions, but I was prepared for those because I spent a lot of time studying D=rt problems, log problems, and exponents with fractions, etc. I don’t have the link but I know it’s all over this sub, I studied Kyle’s study guide and helped out immensely (can’t state that enough) on the second go round.

Reading - I felt that I took this for granted. I spent majority of my time after the 1st attempt focusing on Math and Mechanical comprehension and looked over the Reading but I felt I did ok, not great, but ok on this section.

Mechanical Comprehension - this was fairly easy because like I said I was focusing on this more the second time around. I had a lot of angles and tension and different theory questions.

ANIT - this was a breeze for me. I studied Barron’s Flight aptitude material and it really helped out a lot. I had a couple of questions that referenced the S-3 Viking and a few history of aircraft questions.

NAFTI - Can’t really study for this section, just try and pick the lesser of two evils, I think they add this just as a buffer between test material and the PBM. Just try and be truthful and not what you think they want to hear.

PBM - It’s just as everyone on this forum has stated. Just breathe and relax, make sure to take your time reading the instructions and try to make the most of the practices. For the UAV section use the video on YouTube and I know that it’s posted somewhere on this forum, practice it before heading in and you’ll be fine. Accuracy seemed to be better than quickness. I only missed one on this section luckily but kept most of the right answers around 2 - 3.5 and 4 seconds. Use that scrap paper!! The tracking, use that practice to learn the dead zones of the throttle and joystick. After practice I just took a breath and tried to relax, focus on the right side where you’re operating the joystick and use peripheral vision for the vertical tracking, I found that the easiest way to attack this section.

Only thing I’m worried about is my OAR score being that it’s around average and a 6 on AQR, but I have a friend in Primary saying that it should be ok when applying for OCS for SNA and since I received a 9 of the PFAR and an 8 on FOFAR, which averages to a 7.6 and I had 3.4 GPA in college.. So if anyone can sort of confirm that, I’d feel fairly good about my chances. Thanks to everyone on this forum with tips and where to look when I gouged before the test!

Last edited:

rhowley

If a ball is thrown down at a speed of X and the exact same ball is thrown up at X speed, which one will have the greatest kinetic energy right before hitting the ground?