• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Niken

One thing at a time
Hello everyone,

I have been informed by my recruiter that they are raising the age limit to apply as an SNA and (with hearsay info) that the navy has not made their quota for pilots, as well as NFOs. He spoke to other recruiters and tells me that with my ASTB-E scores 48 5/6/6 that I should still submit my package. I am taking the ASTB-E a second time in mid-May, but with this info I am conflicted as to take the chance of possibly getting a better score. I know my is border-lining under average. I am currently waiting on replies from retired and active Navy pilots to schedule an interview with them with the hopes to receive a recommendation from one or more to help my package. Yet, I am not sure if my score will hold me down with the chances of being picked.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have been informed by my recruiter that they are raising the age limit to apply as an SNA and (with hearsay info) that the navy has not made their quota for pilots, as well as NFOs. He spoke to other recruiters and tells me that with my ASTB-E scores 48 5/6/6 that I should still submit my package. I am taking the ASTB-E a second time in mid-May, but with this info I am conflicted as to take the chance of possibly getting a better score. I know my is border-lining under average. I am currently waiting on replies from retired and active Navy pilots to schedule an interview with them with the hopes to receive a recommendation from one or more to help my package. Yet, I am not sure if my score will hold me down with the chances of being picked.
You can apply and if you don’t get picked up, you can retake it and reapply. If you’re confident you can do better by retaking it, I would do that and apply. With the last board, many with the minimum scores did not get selected. Good luck.

rygregor

RedRaider
Hey guys checking in. I took my ASTB Wednesday and scored a 50 6/6/7. My scores are very average, but my recruiter told me to have confidence applying with those scores. I want to thank everyone on this thread and throughout Air Warriors for all of the advice and study material and gouge. I only had 5 days to study because I needed to schedule my ASTB ASAP for work reasons, so I know I can score better if I have to retake and reapply because of the great information I have found on here. Search, study, search, study more material. I am 26 with a cumulative 3.8 gpa with a masters in crop science, and have had PRK in the past. I am awaiting MEPS to so see if I qualify for SNA and NFO or NFO only. Will be applying for both if I qualify at MEPS for the August Board. Is there a spreadsheet for the August board? Also any workout recommendations to prepare for the PRT and OCS?

Meyerkord

pilot
any workout recommendations to prepare for the PRT and OCS
Best way to prep for the PRT is doing pushups, situps, and running. Be able to hit your number, plus a buffer. In addition to that, you'll be doing lots of calisthenics at OCS (burpees, leg lifts, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc) so those wouldn't hurt either.

rygregor

RedRaider
I also wanted to share the study material I used. I found everything here on Air Warriors so huge thank you to everyone, especially Bunny_329 where I found these reviews. I know I could easily do better than my 50 6/6/7 if I took the test again right away or was able to study longer, but my recruiter told me to apply SNA and NFO with those scores along with my masters degree and 3.8 gpa. Hope I get selected!

The topics covered on this study guide are very relevant to the ASTB-E especially the ones with * and ***. However, I found that a lot of the examples were more difficult than the ones on the actual test. Flash cards are very helpful!

Math
I got a lot of log and exponent questions so be sure to know all the rules on those. As well triangle geometry formulas.

Reading
It helped to read aloud.

Mechanical
I’m not an engineer so I should’ve study more for this section. I ran out of time so be sure to not spend too much time on questions you don’t know. Study Work problems.

UAV/PBM
DRAW THE COMPASS!
Practice a lot until it’s almost a memory because the answers are timed.

Lean towards your target ear and constantly remind yourself what ear to listen to because it’s easy to get confused and listen to the wrong ear. Write down emergency procedures and don’t panic. Focus on the emergency procedure more than the targets because the test ended on the first time I got anemergency procedure wrong.

Attachments

• Air Warriors Study Material.docx
    74.5 KB · Views: 86
  • FAA HIGHLIGHTED.pdf
    982.2 KB · Views: 64
  • OAR_Study_Guide.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 91

J728

A few days ago was my 3rd and final attempt and I scored my best: 55 6/6/6 So I'm pretty happy.
1st attempt: 48 5/5/5
2nd attempt: 43 4/6/4
Third time's the charm...
Thank you to all who have shared their experiences and knowledge- definitely couldn't have done it without!

Math
My worst subject by far, I got a lot of simple algebra, logs, fractions & exponents. I mainly used a GRE prep book and the Barron's book.

Reading
Pretty easy, just take your time and read aloud if it helps. I read a lot anyways, but try to read military manuals and other dry material.

Mechanical
I don't have an engineering background, but this wasn't too difficult. Know your equations and concepts. I didn't get too many problems just mostly conceptual questions.

UAV/PBM
Definitely draw the compass and practice until it is second nature. I missed a few because I was going too quickly.
Lean to your target ear- it helps!
Write down the emergency protocol and execute as quickly as you can.

I brought ear plugs to block out the office ambient noise, a bottle of water to stay hydrated, and lastly chewing gum- I find that it helps to get the jaw going and mental juices flowing.
I'm Applying for SNFO & SWO.
Good luck to all!

GCalf

I scored 51 5/6/7 with a 3.1 GPA and was not taken for SNA in the Feb board. So I retake and reapply twice more. Thanks for all the help y'all.

Boston2512

Quick question about the UAV portion, is the direction of the target parking lot only conveyed via voice, or is it similar to the flashcards where you can simply see the direction of the target parking lot and do not need the voice?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Quick question about the UAV portion, is the direction of the target parking lot only conveyed via voice, or is it similar to the flashcards where you can simply see the direction of the target parking lot and do not need the voice?
The voice tells you which parking lot to select. It gives you a map with a north heading, and another map with the parking lots orientated in a different direction.

Niken

One thing at a time
I did my second attempt today and received a 54 7/8/8. I am really pleased with that score but I had a MAJOR issue with the APEX system... The test ended up taking me 2 days to complete because the system kept booting me out ever 5 mins or so during the OAR portion. I’m not sure if anyone else has been having these problems.

Anyways, the OAR and PBM portions were basically what everyone’s been talking about. Though, one problem stood out from the others in the math section about binaries that lost me. Aand that’s all I got to say!