• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

egri

Hi everybody,

First off, I want to give a big thank you to everyone who shared their experiences, gouge, study guides, etc. It was all very helpful.

I took the full ASTB earlier this week. My scores are:

OAR: 58
AQR: 7
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 7

I used Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 3rd edition, Khan Academy, and the study guides posted here.

MST:
I was surprised by the math section. I had studied matrix multiplication, logarithms, and fractional and negative exponents. I had one question with a negative exponent, and nothing with the other bits. I did have a lot of PEMDAS, probability, DRT, and find the price after discounts type questions though.

RCT:
This section I think is what bit me in the rear. I had a 730 verbal SAT without studying, and figured I could get away with the same here. I couldn't; other than the PBM, this was the most difficult section for me.

MCT:
There were a lot more electrical questions on there than I had bargained for. In retrospect, I wish I had studied that stuff more. I think I did ok, but not as well as I could have. The Barron's book did not have any electrical questions in it, which is a big weakness IMO.

ANIT:
That stuff was pretty well covered by the gouge on here.

PBM:
The compass trick was really useful. This section was more straightforward than I thought it would be. The practice sessions helped. The only thing I had an issue with was on the emergency procedures part, the procedure would call for setting the fuel mixture and the power to high, so I'd do that, but still get the red screen. Not sure if that was a glitch in the system, or if I was just doing something wrong and didn't realize it.

BAC_Tech

Just took the ASTB today.
OAR: 61
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 8
3.8 GPA
With these scores and GPA, am I competitive for an OCS SNA slot?

Also, I studied with the Barrons study guide and the online flash cards. I also took the DOD library exam last night and for each subset I would say it is similar in some ways and not in others because of the actual test seems more random than anything else. If you go through a lot of practice tests, the study guide posted on here, and the online flash cards posted on here you will be okay. I did feel rushed through the OAR portion because you are given a specific amount of time to take it but are never sure how many questions you have left. I found that I typically had plenty of time left for most sections. This would have been nice to know for the math section which is the section you take first. My main advice would be to not rush the math section but work at an ok pace and study the Barron study guide and the gouge on here.

W

Wildcat15

Just took the ASTB today.
OAR: 61
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 8
3.8 GPA
With these scores and GPA, am I competitive for an OCS SNA slot?

Also, I studied with the Barrons study guide and the online flash cards. I also took the DOD library exam last night and for each subset I would say it is similar in some ways and not in others because of the actual test seems more random than anything else. If you go through a lot of practice tests, the study guide posted on here, and the online flash cards posted on here you will be okay. I did feel rushed through the OAR portion because you are given a specific amount of time to take it but are never sure how many questions you have left. I found that I typically had plenty of time left for most sections. This would have been nice to know for the math section which is the section you take first. My main advice would be to not rush the math section but work at an ok pace and study the Barron study guide and the gouge on here.
I'm going to assume you are just here to humblebrag and receive validation but if not and you have actually just never taken the time to research what a competitive packet looks like, the search function is a wonderful thing.

BAC_Tech

I'm going to assume are just here to humblebrag and receive validation but if not and you have actually just never taken the time to research what a competitive packet looks like, the search function is a wonderful thing.
No, it was not a humblebrag. I did know that the 8, 9, and 8 were very good I was not sure about the OAR score. Also, I thought I would post how I studied and prepared for the test to help others out. In the future I will try to search it before I post though.

W

Wildcat15

No, it was not a humblebrag. I did know that the 8, 9, and 8 were very good I was not sure about the OAR score. Also, I thought I would post how I studied and prepared for the test to help others out. In the future I will try to search it before I post though.
https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/what-nrc-considers-competitive.41212/ Here's a thread on it. I didn't mean to sound acrimonious but if you comb through these ASTB/Navy OCS threads enough the whole "I scored 80 9/9/9 should I retake?" posts are a dime a dozen.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

1. Search.
2. Ask your OR.

malice

Hello everyone!
I will be submitting an OCS Package for SNA next year (probably for the May board). My stats are as follows:
Active Duty (MMW Submarines) 9.5 years
ASTB: 67 8/7/8
GPA: 3.82 Environmental Science (3 courses remaining- will be completed by April 17)
Tattoo Waiver
Good evals with no negative remarks and no history of NJP.

With my major being environmental science, will that have a significant negative impact on my package or will a good ASTB and GPA make up for it? I have searched and not been able to find an answer to the next question. OPNAVINST 1420.1B states: "Applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited institution..." I know from the civilian side you can start and submit your package before receiving your degree; however, being on active duty am I able to submit a completion of required courses letter from my school since my school only confers degrees every 3 months (February, May, August and November)?

I am in the same situation as you. You need a degree waiver, and to get that you need to submit a 1306/7 and that has to be routed all the way to the CNP, mine just got approved to submit my OCS application 3 months early, however, it routed the form in October of 2016, and it got approved a few weeks ago. So I don't think you will have that much time, but try anyway.

Triumph4life

Hi everybody,

First off, I want to give a big thank you to everyone who shared their experiences, gouge, study guides, etc. It was all very helpful.

I took the full ASTB earlier this week. My scores are:

OAR: 58
AQR: 7
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 7

I used Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, 3rd edition, Khan Academy, and the study guides posted here.

MST:
I was surprised by the math section. I had studied matrix multiplication, logarithms, and fractional and negative exponents. I had one question with a negative exponent, and nothing with the other bits. I did have a lot of PEMDAS, probability, DRT, and find the price after discounts type questions though.

RCT:
This section I think is what bit me in the rear. I had a 730 verbal SAT without studying, and figured I could get away with the same here. I couldn't; other than the PBM, this was the most difficult section for me.

MCT:
There were a lot more electrical questions on there than I had bargained for. In retrospect, I wish I had studied that stuff more. I think I did ok, but not as well as I could have. The Barron's book did not have any electrical questions in it, which is a big weakness IMO.

ANIT:
That stuff was pretty well covered by the gouge on here.

PBM:
The compass trick was really useful. This section was more straightforward than I thought it would be. The practice sessions helped. The only thing I had an issue with was on the emergency procedures part, the procedure would call for setting the fuel mixture and the power to high, so I'd do that, but still get the red screen. Not sure if that was a glitch in the system, or if I was just doing something wrong and didn't realize it.
Both times I have taken the test the joy stick and throttle were complete trash. They moved me to a different computer and the knobs would be full up or down and the gauges wouldn't move (in the warm up) the proctor jiggle the wires and got it to work. Made it to the EP section and nothing worked. If I'm not selected in this board I may be searching for a different testing center.

Angel17

So I took the ASTB last week and received the following scores..
46/5/5/6
I am currently enlisted in the USMC as an F-35 Air frame mechanic and have been enlisted for nearly 5 years. I am only 23 years old and started college when I hit my 2 year mark (when you can use military T.A.). I have been going to Embry-Riddle for a BS in Aeronautical Science and will graduate this May with a 3.0 GPA. I want to apply for a SNA spot and am considering retaking the test again. My Officer Recruiter (Navy) says that I am fine with my scores.
I was meritoriously promoted to Sergeant last August but have not yet completed a Fitness Report and as far as Letters of Recommendation , I received one from a General/ Colonel and various other Officers in my command as well as a Staff Sergeant.
This is something that I have been chasing for a long time but with my parents coming here from Central America and not really receiving an education / good job I could not afford to go to college straight out of high school so basically that is why I enlisted first.

Any advice helps - I have time to retest if need be.

MTLiving

So I took the ASTB last week and received the following scores..
46/5/5/6
I am currently enlisted in the USMC as an F-35 Air frame mechanic and have been enlisted for nearly 5 years. I am only 23 years old and started college when I hit my 2 year mark (when you can use military T.A.). I have been going to Embry-Riddle for a BS in Aeronautical Science and will graduate this May with a 3.0 GPA. I want to apply for a SNA spot and am considering retaking the test again. My Officer Recruiter (Navy) says that I am fine with my scores.
I was meritoriously promoted to Sergeant last August but have not yet completed a Fitness Report and as far as Letters of Recommendation , I received one from a General/ Colonel and various other Officers in my command as well as a Staff Sergeant.
This is something that I have been chasing for a long time but with my parents coming here from Central America and not really receiving an education / good job I could not afford to go to college straight out of high school so basically that is why I enlisted first.

Any advice helps - I have time to retest if need be.
Depending on when the next board convenes you would have time to retest if need be. But your scores are decent with your GPA and the high selection rate might be in your favor. So I would submit and see what they say and if it's bad news just retest.

NavyGator1453

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking for a little guidance. I took the ASTB through my ROTC unit a couple of weeks ago and received scores of 62 7/7/8. I'm told that's a decent score; my question is, with a GPA of 3.57, how are my chances of service selecting SNA over SNFO? I'm worried that because my SNFO score is a point higher than my SNA score, I might not get picked up for SNA. Are my concerns valid, or are my scores close enough (and good enough) to get selected SNA over SNFO? Thank you all for your help and guidance!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking for a little guidance. I took the ASTB through my ROTC unit a couple of weeks ago and received scores of 62 7/7/8. I'm told that's a decent score; my question is, with a GPA of 3.57, how are my chances of service selecting SNA over SNFO? I'm worried that because my SNFO score is a point higher than my SNA score, I might not get picked up for SNA. Are my concerns valid, or are my scores close enough (and good enough) to get selected SNA over SNFO? Thank you all for your help and guidance!

I think your score and GPA are good. Other components of your application (LORs, motivational statement, etc.) will also be determining factors. Good luck!