• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

JVA

Really appreciate all the help this forum has provided. Took the AFOQT and got 99/99/99 and rest 98. Hope my preparation for that will aid in my testing on Thursday.

Best,
John

TC2014

Hey all, took the ASTB got my scores back: 56 6/5/6 - and I have a 3.7 gpA. I intended in applying for a pilot slot and wanted to take it again - I know what to expect of the spatial section especially, and I have a few ideas for practice prep. But my recruiter seems to think that I don't have to and that my scores are competitive enough. I didn't want to push back against his advice since he does know more then I do, so I agreed to just send in a package with those scores. What do you guys think? Should I push to retake?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Hey all, took the ASTB got my scores back: 56 6/5/6 - and I have a 3.7 gpA. I intended in applying for a pilot slot and wanted to take it again - I know what to expect of the spatial section especially, and I have a few ideas for practice prep. But my recruiter seems to think that I don't have to and that my scores are competitive enough. I didn't want to push back against his advice since he does know more then I do, so I agreed to just send in a package with those scores. What do you guys think? Should I push to retake?

you won't have enough time to retest before the next board, I am guessing that is what your recruiter was trying to tell you, so go with it, and if it is a no then retest.

ThudButt

Took the ASTB yesterday on the 31st and got scores of 59 and 8/8/7. My recruiter said he'd never seen any pilot scores that high, so I guess that's not a bad sign! Could have done better on the OAR but I felt like I was guessing probably a quarter of the time.

JVA

Took the ASTB yesterday on the 31st and got scores of 59 and 8/8/7. My recruiter said he'd never seen any pilot scores that high, so I guess that's not a bad sign! Could have done better on the OAR but I felt like I was guessing probably a quarter of the time.

How did you study?

John

exNavyOffRec

Those are good scores, sad your recruiter hasn't seen scores like that before, I routinely had people score 8's and 9's, he should be looking for more people like you.

ThudButt

How did you study?

John

I studied using lots of the same practice tests and seemingly outdated study guides you see all around the internet and here. I also used the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book to study and it seemed to be pretty helpful, but I feel like damn near everything I studied and learned in there was not at all on the ASTB, haha. I'd read from that nightly for a few weeks and just practiced math problems from all the different sections including the AFOQT, SIFT, and ASTB-E. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Aerospace Engineering a few years ago so I'm pretty good at math and mechanical comprehension to begin with, so that helps.

Those are good scores, sad your recruiter hasn't seen scores like that before, I routinely had people score 8's and 9's, he should be looking for more people like you.

Thanks, dude. Yeah, that is kinda sad that he hasn't seen more like that, but I was just hoping that it meant I was extra special. Way to rain on my parade, haha. Just kidding.

exNavyOffRec

I studied using lots of the same practice tests and seemingly outdated study guides you see all around the internet and here. I also used the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book to study and it seemed to be pretty helpful, but I feel like damn near everything I studied and learned in there was not at all on the ASTB, haha. I'd read from that nightly for a few weeks and just practiced math problems from all the different sections including the AFOQT, SIFT, and ASTB-E. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Aerospace Engineering a few years ago so I'm pretty good at math and mechanical comprehension to begin with, so that helps.

Thanks, dude. Yeah, that is kinda sad that he hasn't seen more like that, but I was just hoping that it meant I was extra special. Way to rain on my parade, haha. Just kidding.

ha, I didn't say all of my guys, if you were my guy and was "clean" in all other respects I would have told you that you were very close to a sure thing for selection (nothing is 100% in my book)

JVA

Just took it this morning. Lots of logs and exponents as well as quite a few probability problems. Very little factoring but several huge order of operations equations. RH was simple, and mechanics was straightforward. Lots of lever and density questions progressing to questions about particle collisions and the instability of electrons at near light speed. I think it finished with a question about magnetic fluctuations within particle accelerators? That was rough. ANIT was straightforward, but personality traits was pretty weird... The PBM section was interesting. UAV was a cinch, but the joystick and throttle had pretty huge dead zones, so it was a huge pain in the ass.

JVA

Got my scores: 75 9/9/9 Definitely did not think I did that well as I felt exhausted and a little rushed throughout the OAR sections!

ThudButt

Got my scores: 75 9/9/9 Definitely did not think I did that well as I felt exhausted and a little rushed throughout the OAR sections!

Damn, dude! Good job! You're making me look bad, haha! I was getting similar questions as you on the mechanical side involving cyclotrons and protons nearing the speed of light and I was basically guessing on all of those. The PBM really wasn't that bad for me either but you're right in that the joystick/throttle had those same dead zones and were kind of a bitch.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
the joystick/throttle had those same dead zones and were kind of a bitch

I personally think the hidden (if not accidental) genius of that is that by the time you've brought the pipper over the target, you're whizzing past it. To do the PBM "correctly," you find yourself constantly compensating for a previous action, and/or a previous event - kind of like piloting an aircraft.

JVA

I personally think the hidden (if not accidental) genius of that is that by the time you've brought the pipper over the target, you're whizzing past it. To do the PBM "correctly," you find yourself constantly compensating for a previous action, and/or a previous event - kind of like piloting an aircraft.

Yeah I don't think they are there by accident. I took the Air Force TBAS several months ago and it had almost identical dead zones... The joystick was the Thrustmaster Hotas, which I have used before recreationally with no dead zone. So yeah, they probably have that on purpose. Doesn't make it any less frustrating haha

User1993

Knights of Columbus! (insert Ron Burgandy's voice). What did you study with? You don't by chance live in Scottsdale, Arizona do you? I'd pay you to tutor me!