• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jakefromstatefarm

Remembering I'm not stellar at math, I actually got 1/2. Each die presents a probability of an even roll at 3/6. If rolled twice, each die represents a probability of 6/12. So two die are 12/24=1/2. I'm on my phone right now, but if you can, I distinctly remember Khan Academy actually has a video on this you could look up and watch. There are also additional questions by people on the video comments.

EDIT: I actually got up off the couch to open my laptop and find this for you (haha it was bugging me I couldn't remember if I got it right or wrong). Here you go: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/pr...ty/independent_events/v/events-and-outcomes-2

The video itself sucked for me in terms of aiding in understanding, but the comments helped so much.
Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to watch it after seeing my mistake. You wouldn't happen to know if Khan Academy has videos on pay rate calculations and interest on the site off the top of your head do you? In terms of interest were you referring to % discount or consecutive discounts? I just noticed they have ratios which you also mentioned that I'm about to review right now.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to watch it after seeing my mistake. You wouldn't happen to know if Khan Academy has videos on pay rate calculations and interest on the site off the top of your head do you? In terms of interest were you referring to % discount or consecutive discounts? I just noticed they have ratios which you also mentioned that I'm about to review right now.

Sure thing!
I don't know, I'm sorry, I would be surprised if they didn't though. For the discounts, I was referring to both. I had questions that asked me both versions. Ratios I got involved profit on investments split between partners.

popeye123

hey guys i got a curious question, i was reading through peoples posts and people say math is a strong factor in the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR. Obviously my OAR is low but i'm planning to retake it again soon, when i retake it, if my OAR increases, will it also increase my AQR, PFR, FOFAR scores from my 1st exam too? or would i have to totally retake the ASTB-E 2nd time as well for it to change?

i thought the math only played a factor in the OAR section, i didn't know it could also played a factor in the AQR, PFAR and FOFAR...

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
hey guys i got a curious question, i was reading through peoples posts and people say math is a strong factor in the AQR, PFAR, FOFAR. Obviously my OAR is low but i'm planning to retake it again soon, when i retake it, if my OAR increases, will it also increase my AQR, PFR, FOFAR scores from my 1st exam too? or would i have to totally retake the ASTB-E 2nd time as well for it to change?

i thought the math only played a factor in the OAR section, i didn't know it could also played a factor in the AQR, PFAR and FOFAR...

No, it won't change those scores. I believe you have 90 days after the OAR where you can just take the ASTB-E portion, so if your OAR improves and you come back with a PRO-N from the May 18 board you can retake the ASTB portions with your new OAR score to get new pilot/nfo scores.

exNavyOffRec

No, it won't change those scores. I believe you have 90 days after the OAR where you can just take the ASTB-E portion, so if your OAR improves and you come back with a PRO-N from the May 18 board you can retake the ASTB portions with your new OAR score to get new pilot/nfo scores.

to clarify, if a person takes the OAR they can within a specified time add on the PFAR, FOFAR, AQR and that will count as 1 test, if for any reason a person wants to retest after the wait period and only take the OAR but not the PFAR, FOFAR, AQR then the previous PFAR, FOFAR, and AQR will be invalid.

koliver

Hey everyone, I found a dichotic listening app. It's called iDichotic and there are two types of tests in it. One called concentrate focuses on each ear. I don't know if it will help but I've been practicing it every day for awhile and I've noticed better results. I'm starting to do the tests while I play a game of Tetris or something during study breaks. I'll have to see if it helps when I retest, but I thought I'd share this with everyone.

Mi1215

Taking the ASTB tomorrow morning. I've studied literally every single thing that has been posted in here so thank you to those who have posted that. Let's hope all this hard work pays off.

Grant Spencer

Hello, I am a NROTC MIDN in my 3rd year. This summer I will put in for my service selection and I am attempting to service select pilot. I am an Applied Statistics Major at UC Davis with a 2.85 GPA and I scored a 55 6/7/5 on the ASTB. I am just wondering if I should take the ASTB again, or if my scores are good enough. Also if I do take it again, does anyone have any good books they used?

Mxdamien

Had a quick question,
did anyone encounter any questions on the ASTB-E that pertained to History (like dates, etc), weather/climatology, individual vocab words?
Thanks All

Mi1215

Just took the ASTB-E,

I got a 50 6,8,7. I would like to be a pilot and I am a little worried about my OAR score. What do you guys think?

Mi1215

From what I have heard, those are good scores. Your OAR could be a little better, but I believe your GPA will make up for that. Good job!
Let's hope the board thinks the same way! I am VERY nervous about my OAR. I'll send it in, and if I don't get accepted, i'll just take it again.

koliver

Had a quick question,
did anyone encounter any questions on the ASTB-E that pertained to History (like dates, etc), weather/climatology, individual vocab words?
Thanks All
I had history questions but no weather or vocab questions. The peterson's practice astb online is the closest I have seen to what the questions will be like.

MemphisBell

pilot
Let's hope the board thinks the same way! I am VERY nervous about my OAR. I'll send it in, and if I don't get accepted, i'll just take it again.
Pilot boards really don't care about your OAR score. Just get a 6 or better on the pilot score which you did. You should be good!

Spectre

So, I've been speaking to a Navy recruiter since January (with the intent of going in as an officer). After a good deal of thought, I decided that I wanted to get into aviation.

Some background: I'm a graduate of North Carolina Wesleyan College (BA in psychology) with a 3.62 GPA. I recently took the ASTB-E and scored a 51 6, 6, 7. I was actually a bit disappointed in my OAR score initially, but the recruiter said he was surprised (he apparently thought I'd do poorly because my degree is not in a technical field). He also said that in the past few months (in this area), only one other candidate has actually scored higher than me. Apparently he was an electrical engineering student --whether that's true or false, it gave me a morale boost.

I've already decided on the three careers that I want to apply for after MEPS --pilot, NFO, and SWO (in that order). From my scores, GPA, and major, what do my chances look like? Are they good? I imagine that, since my FOFAR score was the 7 and the other two were 6, I will have a higher chance of getting NFO over a pilot career. Is that correct? I'd be happy with either, but I do want pilot or NFO over SWO.

Thoughts and advice?