• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

aviatorchick77

I'm taking it again in May too! Hopefully we both do better! When will you be submitting your package?

I'm shooting for October 1. I would like to have it in earlier, but due to some complications with the flight school (flying is a required part of my degree), I'm going to be finishing up in the mid to late summer. And I would have applied up to 6 months from graduation, however you have to 100% full time.

Word of advice though, in the meantime I'd go through the DD 2807 and for every "yes" that you have, start tracking down all of relevant the medical documentation.

YES! 100% yes

koliver

Oh ok yeah it's not doable. IIRC you can't even get picked up until 6 months out from your grad date.

Word of advice though, in the meantime I'd go through the DD 2807 and for every "yes" that you have, start tracking down all of relevant the medical documentation. It can take forever to track the documents down and have them sent to you, and you have to send them to MEPS for review (takes 3-5 weeks) before they will even schedule a physical.

Thanks brother. Do you know of anything else I can be doing? I've been asking my recruiter and let's just say he hasn't been too helpful. I want to submit my package in October.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks brother. Do you know of anything else I can be doing? I've been asking my recruiter and let's just say he hasn't been too helpful. I want to submit my package in October.

He probably isn't being too helpful for a few reasons.

1. he has people that can apply now he is working with
2. your a junior
3. ASTB
4. GPA

October is probably too soon, you could get caught in a board that is outside the 6 months and then get pro X'd, shoot for Dec submission.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

Yeah like the Chief said, a recruiter probably isn't going to be able to do much for you right now. If you can get all of your medical documentation together and write your motivational statement that would be a great start. That way you'll only really need to fill out paperwork when you start working with a recruiter later in the year, and that isn't too time consuming outside of filling out your NASIS form for the background check.

koliver

Thank you and NavyOffRec. I am just trying to get as much done now that way there will not be a hold up later down the road. I also graduate in May 2017 so would that make it possible to be safe for the earlier boards or does it still risk getting a pro X?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you and NavyOffRec. I am just trying to get as much done now that way there will not be a hold up later down the road. I also graduate in May 2017 so would that make it possible to be safe for the earlier boards or does it still risk getting a pro X?

December should be good, then ideally be seen early 2017 then go to OCS in the summer

LuckyMcFly

ASTB-E Gouge:

I took the ASTB on 23rd, 2016

Score: 9/7/8 OAR: 74

Math/Reading/Mechanical/Aviation/Nautical:
Basically want to reiterate everything JjayL5045 said in his post on page 231, pretty much sums up everything that I felt and could say.

UAV: Yeah so I am a dumby, and everything I had studied or looked over(for some reason I didn't read this thread #arrogance) had used the old plane and the horizon test, which I felt super confident for. So needless to say I was a bit surprised, but again just think of your cardinal directions. So definitely be smarter than me and make sure you won't be seeing any surprises such as the UAV, but if you do, stay calm and just roll with it.

PBM: Again, everyone has already thrown down a lot of good advice. The throttle I had had a a big dead zone but was highly reactive outside of that dead zone. The Joystick on the other hand ai felt like I was yanking it all over the table. My recruiter commented on how engaged I was with it and that they could hear me going at it. For the emergency scenarios, just take a minute to read and visualize/physically act them out while you are still on the instructions phase. It will help with your memory and nailing it down.

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

TC2014

Hi everyone. I've been purusing this site for a while studying, never posted but an odd issue has come up so I was hoping someone who recently took the ATSB could help out. I know you need a valid id and ss card on test day. I have both but let's say I lost my license and it won't be here before I take the test. I have a valid permit still however. My question is Are these just used to make sure I am who i say I am on test day, or are they copied and in some way put on file. I would really not want the ID representing me on my application to the aviation program, visible by anyone who looks at my package, to be a permit instead of a license. I can't explain to the board what happened there ya know? Or would it not matter what ID I used period or whether one even has a license? Can anyone shed a little light on this, thanks

cberger

Hi everyone. I've been purusing this site for a while studying, never posted but an odd issue has come up so I was hoping someone who recently took the ATSB could help out. I know you need a valid id and ss card on test day. I have both but let's say I lost my license and it won't be here before I take the test. I have a valid permit still however. My question is Are these just used to make sure I am who i say I am on test day, or are they copied and in some way put on file. I would really not want the ID representing me on my application to the aviation program, visible by anyone who looks at my package, to be a permit instead of a license. I can't explain to the board what happened there ya know? Or would it not matter what ID I used period or whether one even has a license? Can anyone shed a little light on this, thanks

I'm sure someone could clarify more, but just in case...I'll do my best. I personally took my exam using my DoD issued CAC Card (Military ID) and SSN. They did not document it, scan it, or anything. All my proctors did was copy the numbers into the system to I.D. me. I can't see how it would be different for a driver's license and SS card. I believe all they would need are numbers off the cards. (Especially your SSN; This is pretty much your ticket into anything military related). They won't scan it or copy it from my experience. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Even if the permit is insufficient, they will just reschedule you. No big deal. You should be fine to my knowledge, though.

koliver

I wouldn't worry about it. When I showed up they knew who I was and didn't show and IDs. Just bring whatever you have.

aviatorchick77

If I am right, it is just to verify you are who you say you are. The first time I took it, they only glanced at it. What your recruiter has is what is "official" if my memory serves right.

GreenSteak

That's a demerit.
Just took the ASTB yesterday (April 14th) and I want to give thanks to everyone that has posted in here before me.
66 OAR 9/9/8. (really happy with this score)

Study Materials
Barrons- I liked this book the most. I do not feel that the math sections were really on par with the actual exam, but they at least got me in the correct mindset.
Accepted- I wouldn't waste my time or money with this book. A handful of the problems are decent, but the book is littered with typos and mistakes that it is hard to trust as quality study material.
For Dummies- The mechanical section in this book was decent.
FAA Handbook- if you can spare the time, it is well worth the read and definitely helped me out on the ANIT
Basic Machines and How They Work- this was probably overkill for the mechanical section but it provided me with a solid foundation (having never had a physics course before.
Atrickpay's guide- Golden standard. Reviewed this many times.
Marine Gouge- Also good for mechanical concepts.
Boating safety course- This was fairly overkill for driving home a few key points of the different lights on a boat and which vessels give way and which stand on.
Various documentaries- Naval battles, WWII aircraft (know the Douglass Dauntless and other planes of that era), nuclear power, and really anything else that seemed remotely relevant.
Quizlet or other flashcard websites- plenty of good sets out there to study. (I'll see about polishing my sets up and posting them later)
Flightsim- I've been a big fan of the games for years and I suspect that it helped me somewhat on the PBM. Plus, carrier landings in FSX are fun!
AW forums- The most valuable info came from browsing these forums.

Math: I expected for the exam to start out somewhat easy and then work it's way into more difficult topics. Not for me. it jumped right in to the good stuff. I saw some probability of rolling a certain number with a pair of dice, ratio of empty space between a cylinder and a rectangular prism, exponent rules, rates, and order of operations questions. It cut me off with about 13 minutes to go and it honestly felt like I had answered about 7 questions. I thought for sure that this was going to tank my score.
Reading: Nothing new here. It's boring and two of the answers look almost identical, just very small contextual differences. Ran out of time.
Mechanical: I thought this was by far the easiest section of the 3. Most of the questions were conceptual more so than calculations as others have said. One of the questions that I didn't know was something along the lines of "How many times per second does an AC current of 60Hz change direction?" I also saw symbols for different electronic components, such as an inductor. Saw several MA questions involving pulley systems (know the differences with a fixed and moveable pulley) and inclined planes (Bob is pushing a 100lb box up a ramp x feet long with a vertical gain of y feet, how much effort, etc.).
ANIT: Know the decks of a ship, had a few questions about the poop deck and the orlop deck. Planes of the pacific theater during WWII came up. Least stressful section of the test.
UAV: Use the paper compass trick thing and practice with the flashcards. I missed one and then almost missed the following ones because I got flustered. I think my average time was probably 3.5-4 seconds per question. Could have been better, could have been worse.
PBM: My headphones were really loud with no way to turn them down so it was interesting having two people yelling in your ears ;). Like others have said, do your best and don't get too worked up. The controls were largely unresponsive (especially the throttle), which results in you having to wrestle them all over the desk. I found that writing down the emergency procedures and rehearsing them a few times helped, but I found those to be pretty easy.

Thanks again AW!

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Hey everyone,

I took my OAR on 14APR and I got a score that I am personally not satisfied with but the recruiters and processors in the recruiting center I tested in insisted that combined with my GPA and LORs that I shouldn't bother retaking it. They told me that statistically in their experience those that retake it score 1-2 points less than their first attempt. I guess I just wanted some opinions and perspective on it. I am applying for Intel as my number 1 slot and there is no time crunch for me to meet boards, I was willing to wait until next year but they insisted I try to make this board coming up. I am embarrassed to disclose my score but if you need it for an informed opinion, just let me know.

Thank you,

LuckyMcFly

Hey everyone,

I took my OAR on 14APR and I got a score that I am personally not satisfied with but the recruiters and processors in the recruiting center I tested in insisted that combined with my GPA and LORs that I shouldn't bother retaking it. They told me that statistically in their experience those that retake it score 1-2 points less than their first attempt. I guess I just wanted some opinions and perspective on it. I am applying for Intel as my number 1 slot and there is no time crunch for me to meet boards, I was willing to wait until next year but they insisted I try to make this board coming up. I am embarrassed to disclose my score but if you need it for an informed opinion, just let me know.

Thank you,

I have little idea of what I am talking about, but what I do know is that in December the OAR average for 1830 was 60 with the lowest being 46 and in March the average was 62 and the low was 57. Similarly they take individuals with lower GPA's, my understanding is that they will look at the whole package and decide based upon you as a summation of your parts.

That being said, it is my understanding that if you submit for the next IWC board and you are not selected, you can submit a reconsideration if you substantially improve your package (e.g. you retake the OAR and your score goes up). You never know until you submit, just remember Intel is competitive and no one is guaranteed or for sure.

At the end of the day, I would try to not let one aspect of your application define you or the package you submit to the board.