• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

So I took my ASTB test today.. I got my OAR score immediately. I still have my written portion, which means I will get my other 3 subset scores Monday. On my OAR I got a 48. I called my recruiter right away, he suggest that I apply for SWO or if I really want SNA or NFO to retest in 3 months. He said I have a strong chance at SWO.

What do you guys thing. Is he correct about a good chance with SWO or is he just saying that to get me to apply? I'm torn on what I should do at this point. Retest for SNA / NFO and risk getting a lower score the second time around or apply for SWO as is.

your recruiter has no business telling you if you want to apply for SNA or SNFO to wait for and retest in 3 months when you don't even know the scores yet, does he know what he is doing?

joel794613

Hey what is the word that they used to call the audio portion of the full ASTB?

It was something along the lines of "diaholic" hearing test, or "Diaolic".

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

koliver

So I took my ASTB test today.. I got my OAR score immediately. I still have my written portion, which means I will get my other 3 subset scores Monday. On my OAR I got a 48. I called my recruiter right away, he suggest that I apply for SWO or if I really want SNA or NFO to retest in 3 months. He said I have a strong chance at SWO.

What do you guys thing. Is he correct about a good chance with SWO or is he just saying that to get me to apply? I'm torn on what I should do at this point. Retest for SNA / NFO and risk getting a lower score the second time around or apply for SWO as is.
Are you talking to a general recruiter or an officer recruiter? Because my officer recruiter seems to be way less focused on his numbers, and more focused on what I need to do to get the job I want.

joel794613

Sorry I don't mean to make my recruiter sound bad, he's been really awesome so far. He was just under the impression that I wanted to get in as an officer and the position doesn't matter. But he is an actually officer recruiter. He did say still pending the subset scores will truly determine the next step. I also updated him that SNA / NFO are my top two picks at the moment. I get my subset scores Monday morning 10am CST.

joel794613

Alright, so today I got my subset scores. I got a:

48 OAR 6/6/6

Turns out my recruiter wants to push me through to the next upcoming board for SNA/NFO. I'm pretty excited.

You guys think with those scores I may get picked up? He sounds pretty confident.

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
I ask a couple people and wanted to display for the overall thread........ Did the test ask to simplify radicals or did it go further and ask to multiply/divide/addition and subtract radicals?

joel794613

Ha, there were only two - three radicals. They were simplify and add radicals with a variable. I was all prepared to simplify and add, but throw an X in there an I was out.

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
so something in the line of .
image050.gif
?

I just took the ASTB today, I didn't study because I don't like studying for aptitude-type tests like SAT, ACT , etc. I ended with a 60/7/6/6, I'm applying for Marine SNA

I guess since I'm a math major, the math section got extremely difficult.
Some of the math questions I got were
i. Sum all the numbers from 2 to 223
ii. A perfect is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper divisors. Which one of these numbers are perfect numbers. a) 130 b)225 c)330 d)496
iii. For what value of n does this infinite series converge to 1; 1/n +1/n^2 + 1/n^3 + 1/n^4 + ...
and I got some Diophantine equations, find all solutions to this system, y=x^3-2x^2+x-1 , y^2+x^2+1-x =0

Definitely NOT what I expected based on the questions in study guides. Infact only the first 2 questions were questions like the study guide, other than that I had alot of really hard math questions that took me about 3-6 minutes to solve per question because of the problem solving and computation involved. I was nervous because I didn't answer a lot of math question but looking back it's probably why I got a fair OAR score.

~The reading section was dense. You just had to choose which of the statements can be implied from the reading
~Mechanical section was sorta intuition

Man I thought the joystick part would have been fun... It was so hard! Keeping track of 2 moving objects while attempting to listen to even/ odd numbers was so hard. But in the end it was enough to pass.

Tmurphy

It's been touched on a few times but I have a question about the mechanical section. Would you say it leans more towards the "theory side" of physics, the "math side" of physics, or a 50/50 of both? For the Aviation & Nautical section I've been reading up on a little bit of everything, is that how most folks prep for it (with no formal training/academic flying experience)?

Purchased the Arco GRE/GMAT math book, hopefully that should re-familiarize myself with math from the past. On an earlier page, I had read that your math score is used in multiple subtests other than just the OAR. Can someone confirm or clarify on this?

Starsfan93

pilot
It's been touched on a few times but I have a question about the mechanical section. Would you say it leans more towards the "theory side" of physics, the "math side" of physics, or a 50/50 of both? For the Aviation & Nautical section I've been reading up on a little bit of everything, is that how most folks prep for it (with no formal training/academic flying experience)?

Purchased the Arco GRE/GMAT math book, hopefully that should re-familiarize myself with math from the past. On an earlier page, I had read that your math score is used in multiple subtests other than just the OAR. Can someone confirm or clarify on this?

For the physics part I only had one math problem and it was a F=MxA question. All the rest were just the basic concepts. For the aviation part I recommend getting barron's flight aptitude test Book. I had no previous training or flying experience and that book was super helpful.
Yes I believe I read somewhere too that your math score is also part of your subtests scores. But I don't know how they calculate final score.

Marco Hanna

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I'm glad to be a part of this community. I'm about a year away from graduation and I've began speaking with a recruiter about going into the Navy. I have been studying for the ASTB for a while now, going to take it within the next month or two. I've been using Accepted Inc.'s study guide. Have any of you had experience with this book and how good of a representation it is to the actual test? To give a little background about myself, I'm an Aerospace Engineering undergrad, but I'm also an Instrument Rated Pilot. You can probably guess what I'm going to the Navy for! Hope to hear from all of you soon!

W

Wildcat15

Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I'm glad to be a part of this community. I'm about a year away from graduation and I've began speaking with a recruiter about going into the Navy. I have been studying for the ASTB for a while now, going to take it within the next month or two. I've been using Accepted Inc.'s study guide. Have any of you had experience with this book and how good of a representation it is to the actual test? To give a little background about myself, I'm an Aerospace Engineering undergrad, but I'm also an Instrument Rated Pilot. You can probably guess what I'm going to the Navy for! Hope to hear from all of you soon!

I haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I have the ACRO, Peterson's, and Barron study guides for the ASTB. Just in case you decide to pick these books up for some extra studying, I can tell you that for me, the Barron's test prep has been really awesome so far. I think for someone with no prior military experience like myself, it does a pretty good job explaining the different paths to commission, rank structure, military aviation, etc. It also incorporates some test questions that I believe are quite similar in difficulty to the actual test questions people have shared in this thread. Sounds like you're already headed in the right direction with aviation knowledge and STEM so you're likely a step ahead of where I'm at, but definitely keep studying over this next year and I would recommend picking up some more study material before your exam. Plus, you can take it twice if your scores aren't competitive the first time around.