• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BravoMyles

Applicant
Mine was about 3 weeks ago. He mentioned at the time that there had been several crashes though. I think the person the day before me had it crash several times as well.

dcuycuy

can someone recommend chapters in the FAA handbook to study for the ANIT portion? The buffalo marines PDF recommending certain chapters is not working, and I haven't been able to search for them throughout this forum. Thanks!

koliver

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and just have some questions about the ASTB. I am taking it on Jan 18 and have been studying primarily from the Accepted Inc. study guide. Are the questions on the practice test very similar to the real ASTB or are they dumbed down? Also, what are good scores to get? My recruiter said that a 60/7/7/7 would be good enough to be highly competitive, but I would like to hear your opinion. For the math and mechanical comprehension sections; do they provide formulas if they are needed or do I need to be memorizing those more? Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and just have some questions about the ASTB. I am taking it on Jan 18 and have been studying primarily from the Accepted Inc. study guide. Are the questions on the practice test very similar to the real ASTB or are they dumbed down? Also, what are good scores to get? My recruiter said that a 60/7/7/7 would be good enough to be highly competitive, but I would like to hear your opinion. For the math and mechanical comprehension sections; do they provide formulas if they are needed or do I need to be memorizing those more? Thank you.

If you can get 7's or above you should be good, I would call 9's highly competitive, maybe 8's, but 7's you should be ok, I mean would you call a C+ grade a high grade? Maybe your recruiter does and that is why he thinks 7's are highly competitive.

Los_23

I got a 50 5/6/7. I am nervous about taking it again and possibly getting a lower score. Any advice?

goldmanharry91

Went in today and finished my OAR test for the second time. Got a 51, up from a 49.

All the gouge was helpful so I'd like to thank everyone for the help. While I am disappointed, an improvement is an improvement and I can reapply in the next board. With some new letters of recommendation and an updated statement I hope that it will be enough.

WillH

If you can get 7's or above you should be good, I would call 9's highly competitive, maybe 8's, but 7's you should be ok, I mean would you call a C+ grade a high grade? Maybe your recruiter does and that is why he thinks 7's are highly competitive.

A 7 would be equivalent to a C+? I was never sure how the scoring scale worked for the ASTB, but I was also under the impression from a few recruiters that 7's are pretty solid.

exNavyOffRec

A 7 would be equivalent to a C+? I was never sure how the scoring scale worked for the ASTB, but I was also under the impression from a few recruiters that 7's are pretty solid.

that was just a rough comparison, but it is in the middle of the passing scores, kind of like a C+ is in the middle of the passing scores, and when selection rates are around 50% you see people with 7's get picked only about 50% of the time.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The OAR scores and ASTB scores are normed against a set of raw scores. It's kind of like the SAT, your score is not determined on the number of questions you get right but instead how you score compared to others taking the test. IIRC if you get a 9 it means you scored in the top 3-4% of that subtest (AQR/PFAR/FOFAR) but you can find the exact distributions online.

So if you get a 5 it means you scored roughly in the 50th percentile, but as @NavyOffRec said the average score for a PRO-Y is in the 7 range so that shifts the mean to the right.

joel794613

So I took my ASTB test today.. I got my OAR score immediately. I still have my written portion, which means I will get my other 3 subset scores Monday. On my OAR I got a 48. I called my recruiter right away, he suggest that I apply for SWO or if I really want SNA or NFO to retest in 3 months. He said I have a strong chance at SWO.

What do you guys thing. Is he correct about a good chance with SWO or is he just saying that to get me to apply? I'm torn on what I should do at this point. Retest for SNA / NFO and risk getting a lower score the second time around or apply for SWO as is.

joel794613

Also for the UAV portion I only missed two, I definitely did struggle on the throttle control / joystick, mainly the throttle.