• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Starsfan93

pilot
Was the books questions similar to the test? How many times did you take the test?

Yeah they are pretty similar. This was my first time taking the ASTB. I remember I got a perimeter question and I also got the exact same question as Gsalg about rates "this guy goes north going 8 mph 2 hours later another guy leaves going 40 mph how long does it take for the second person to catch up." I also got a probability question about what are the odds you will get 2 sixes on two dice. Also know how to simplify expressions. Barron's and Military Flight Aptitude tests for Dummies are really good because they actually explain a lot of concepts that will be on the tests. If you find the study guide on here, also use that. It was really helpful too. If you know how to solve all of that stuff you should do fine the test.

silver236

None
Math is what likely dragged you down. It is a big part of the OAR as well as the primary determiner of the AQR and FOFAR scores. The history and UAV sections are the biggest parts of the PFAR score.

I think you're right, I didn't do too hot on math. I am debating whether I should retake it or not. I will have to contact the officer who's in charge of the board to see what he recommends.

popeye123

Yeah they are pretty similar. This was my first time taking the ASTB. I remember I got a perimeter question and I also got the exact same question as Gsalg about rates "this guy goes north going 8 mph 2 hours later another guy leaves going 40 mph how long does it take for the second person to catch up." I also got a probability question about what are the odds you will get 2 sixes on two dice. Also know how to simplify expressions. Barron's and Military Flight Aptitude tests for Dummies are really good because they actually explain a lot of concepts that will be on the tests. If you find the study guide on here, also use that. It was really helpful too. If you know how to solve all of that stuff you should do fine the test.

awsome man, those questions sound pretty similar to the questions i took on the test as well haha. i have to take it a second time, i hope i score as high as you man

btw do you know where the study guide is? i keep reading about people talking about that specific study guide but i can't seem to find it inside here

Starsfan93

pilot

Attachments

• OAR_Study_Guide.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 168

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I think you're right, I didn't do too hot on math. I am debating whether I should retake it or not. I will have to contact the officer who's in charge of the board to see what he recommends.

I would try with your current scores. People have been getting picked up with straight 6s and you have a 9.

Alex Sajewski

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on the site. I took the test back in November and got a 53 6/5/6 I believe? I didn't actually write them down, but I know I got a 5 from the joy stick and throttle portion.

I know I need to study more. I only used one book and a practice test provided from this site, but I felt confident going in. What a shock the actual test was. At one point I was asked about control rods in a nuclear reactor. Definitely more than I expected.

I've just ordered a few books for the OAR and ASTB, both from Accepted, Inc. but the one portion I struggled the most with throttle and joystick part with listening.

The first listening portion went horribly. I set myself up for failure by "thinking" I knew the instructions and expecting feedback at the end of the practice. I had no clue what button to click for what number, and ultimately ended up sitting helpless and letting it run through. (By the end of the test I had figured it out)

The throttle portion though was what killed me. I've played a lot of flight sims before so it was surprising to struggle so much. This biggest issue I had was with the throttle. Every throttle I've used has had resistance in it, meaning you could leave it at a certain throttle level (50% power, 20% power, etc) but the one in the testing center didn't do this. It just flopped around to either full on or full stop. No in-between. When the screen prompted me to place the throttle in the middle position, I had to balance the thing before starting. Is this normal? Am I crazy?

It felt impossible to match that thing. Like a lawn mower throttle, it was either on or off. Even if it was right, it completely threw me off my game for that section.

So, the question I have is:

Is the throttle supposed to have resistance, or should it be full-on or full-off?

On another note, the one thing that did help me for the listening portion (after I corrected my complete failure in direction following) was to take some of the scrap paper and write down "odd" and "even" on them and fold them over the top of the screen. Combine this with tilting the head for which ear you need to listen for, and that portion should become a little less of a challenge.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
So, the question I have is:
Is the throttle supposed to have resistance, or should it be full-on or full-off?

The way I remember the throttle, there were essentially 5 positions: neutral (i.e. no movement), slow forwards and backwards, and fast forwards and backwards. If you move the throttle only a little bit past the neutral spot, you get the slow movement, so I tried to keep my movements short and precise instead of throwing it all the way back and forth.

It depends on the setup and how your individual throttle is calibrated of course, so YMMV.

Alex Sajewski

Good to hear that it's right. I sure wasn't ready for it, thinking it would be like my own joystick and throttle setup. My next go-around I'll be expecting it.

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
Since there is no calculator use would I see word problem such as if 780 dollars is invested at 8%, compounded annually, what would be the balance after ten years. Not hard to do just would take time in which time is of the essence.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Since there is no calculator use would I see word problem such as if 780 dollars is invested at 8%, compounded annually, what would be the balance after ten years. Not hard to do just would take time in which time is of the essence.

Doubtful that they would ask you anything that complicated. From my memory all of the math questions can be solved in 2-3 mins tops without a calculator. The math itself isn't that hard, it's if you can recognize the appropriate concepts and ascertain the solution.

goldmanharry91

Probably not helpful but I attempted to take the OAR for the second time today. APEX crashed six times total through math and some reading. After the fourth time, 6 or 7 reading questions, and about 10 minutes it crashed. After restarting APEX caused my time to expire. Recruiter called Pensacola and they restarted my reading subtest. Crashed again after the first question. Going back to restart it on Reading Friday.

While I can't report a score I will say that I did not receive any complex math questions. Probability, word problems, geometry, fractions and decimals.