• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

popeye123

i recently took the oar portion, i studied for two weeks and did pretty bad... i had a 41. the reading was no problem, but i felt i had some difficulties with the math. to make things worse, i didn't even finish the mechanical section. the time ran out...

well i was wondering how the score for the oar works. i know the range is from 20-80 but say if i had 1 more question correct. would that make my score 42?
how do they balance out the score?

i'm applying for swo/intel/supply, if the scores are determined by increments in correct questions that would mean the mechanical questions that i didn't finish really affected my results sigh

also i'm retaking the test, and borrowing a load of books. i was wondering for the math and mechanival sections, would be bad if i use a 2005 arco or a 2011 barrons?

and for the aviation portion, is it really necessary for me to get a 2013+ book?

popeye123

guys what's a good study guide i could use for the math and mechanical?
someone said a GRE/GMAT should be fine but that was an old post from 2006. would a physics book help me out a lot on the mechanical portion?

so far i have barrons military alptitue test (2011), cliffsnotes 2nd edition and petersons (2014)
would these be suffcient enough for me?

joel794613

I haven't taken the test yet but I bought the Peterson's book:
"Master the Officer Candidate Tests" So far I like it a lot and feel pretty confident... but my results will tell really how good the book and my study skills are. I also bought the book off Google Books for only $11. When are you scheduled to take the test?

popeye123

I haven't taken the test yet but I bought the Peterson's book:
"Master the Officer Candidate Tests" So far I like it a lot and feel pretty confident... but my results will tell really how good the book and my study skills are. I also bought the book off Google Books for only $11. When are you scheduled to take the test?

well i bombed the test a few days ago sigh
so the next time ill be taking the test is in march...

i used that book as well. it was alright... is your petersons from 2009?
when are you scheduled to take the test?

joel794613

image.png

Mines from 2013. So far its all I've used, along with all the homemade gouges from this site. Tomorrow I can PM you a copy if you want?

I'm scheduled to take my test Jan 8th. I'm so nervous but very excited none the less.

Starsfan93

pilot
Hey guys,

I just got done taking the ASTB-E and got 61 8/8/8. I wish my first number was a little higher but I’m really happy with the outcome. I want to think everyone on Airwirrors for their help and the helpful guides. I used Barron’s, Military flight aptitude tests for dummies, and the ASTB-E accepted book. For me, Barron’s and for dummies book were the most help for me. Accepted I used just for the practice test. My recommendation is don’t stress out about the test and also during the test. You will do fine.

Math: Even though I was really comfortable with math I still studied a ton on this. I remember I used a formula once and it was for a volume of a cylinder. And they give all the formulas so it was not too hard. I remember I got a question about someone got a slice of pizza and it asked what is the length of the crust. And another question was like 8^(3/5)=X. I could tell when I was getting questions right because they were giving me some hard questions. Just know how to solve questions like that and also some probability question’s. Khan academy was a big help for me.

Reading: I always hated reading test. For this test I maybe studied for one hour total. I feel like you can’t really study for this. This section is dry and boring. Most of my passages were about the government and the military. There are always 2 answers that look correct and somehow you have to pick one. I actually ran out of time on this section so I was worried that it would really hurt my score. I recommend that you actually read the answers before you read the passage so you have an idea of what you’re looking for.

Mechanical: This section was a whole lot easier than I expected. Just know all the basic concepts in Barron’s and you will be set. I remember my hardest question was about a nuclear power plant and so I just guessed on that problem. I think I had one problem with calculations but it was just a F=MxA problem.

Aviation Info: This section was not too bad. Barron’s and the Dummies book will help you a lot on this section. I had a lot of questions on how airplanes work and some aviation history. I do remember I had a Air Force question which I didn’t know the answer so I guessed again. There is a really helpful study guide floating around that is super helpful.

UAV: Its an easy section if you don’t make dumb mistakes like me. I used the trick of drawing the buildings on a sheet of paper and moving the paper around based on the direction of the UAV. I know I missed about 5 for stupid mistakes. They have practice problems before the graded part if you need it.

Flight Thingamajigger: Lol I totally screwed up the first part when you follow the plane with the throttle. I thought I was the yellow plane and I had to follow the crosshairs. NOPE. So the whole time my crosshairs were just sitting at the top of the screen not doing anything! For the part they give you numbers and you have to listen to a target ear, I actually took off the headphones on the side that’s not the target ear. That helped me a lot. For the emergency part, right down all the producers for each emergency, it will be a lifesaver. This part is crazy but don’t worry about it too much. I was on the target maybe 25% of the time. Just have fun with it. Also my flight stick was inverted so that was really confusing the whole time.

gsalg

Alright first off, I want to thank every person in these 222 pages that have posted any questions, answers and experiences I read through all of it and it truly all helped. A lot of what I'm going to say is similar to what is on this thread but Ill say it anyways because I have been waiting to be able to post my experience!

Math: I thought this would be my strength and it was probably my weakness. Simple but not as easy as lets say the barons practice tests that I got a 100 on. Simplifying exponents from fractions that was my first question. I had a simple probability one, rates like this guy goes north going 8 mph 2 hours later another guy leaves going 40 mph how long does it take for the second person to catch up? But the most helpful thing was probably THE study guide floating around here I think I posted it again a few pages back I think the guy who made it is aatrick? I had about 3 almost identical but different number questions on there.

Reading: Bleh very dry like everyone says it is, simple enough though just use process of elimination.

Mechanical: This was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Very simple physics. I had a simple electricity V=IR, bernoullis principle, velocity of water as path narrows, barons and aatricks guide helped a lot here.

Aviation and Nautical: No history I was very happy as thats my weakness, lots of things about parts of an airplane (like what controls pitch), there was one that asked about the prefix on a helicopter it was the MH- something and it asked what the MH was for basically I didn't know it. Overall very happy and I think this pumped up my score.

UAV: Use the sheet of paper trick and when you are getting them correct do NOT stray from the paper, I got cocky and every time I stopped using the paper trick I just got it wrong lol. About 3 or 4 times I think theres like 50 of these.

Performance based measures: I did tilt my ear and it actually did help. I don't know if this is the point of it but the way it really helped me was the fact that you remember what ear you are supposed to be listening to. The tracking is bullshit honestly, its hard when they put the vertical and the joystick tracking together. But this is when tilting your ear really helped, because of the chaos of tracking, I forgot what ear I was listening to half of the time and would remember because my head was tilted that way already. Complete chaos though just do your best keep trying and you will do fine.

This was my first time taking it I got a 55 8/8/7 and I would just recommend reading through this and aatricks study guide. That was enough for me.

popeye123

Hey guys,

I just got done taking the ASTB-E and got 61 8/8/8. I wish my first number was a little higher but I’m really happy with the outcome. I want to think everyone on Airwirrors for their help and the helpful guides. I used Barron’s, Military flight aptitude tests for dummies, and the ASTB-E accepted book. For me, Barron’s and for dummies book were the most help for me. Accepted I used just for the practice test. My recommendation is don’t stress out about the test and also during the test. You will do fine.

Math: Even though I was really comfortable with math I still studied a ton on this. I remember I used a formula once and it was for a volume of a cylinder. And they give all the formulas so it was not too hard. I remember I got a question about someone got a slice of pizza and it asked what is the length of the crust. And another question was like 8^(3/5)=X. I could tell when I was getting questions right because they were giving me some hard questions. Just know how to solve questions like that and also some probability question’s. Khan academy was a big help for me.

Reading: I always hated reading test. For this test I maybe studied for one hour total. I feel like you can’t really study for this. This section is dry and boring. Most of my passages were about the government and the military. There are always 2 answers that look correct and somehow you have to pick one. I actually ran out of time on this section so I was worried that it would really hurt my score. I recommend that you actually read the answers before you read the passage so you have an idea of what you’re looking for.

Mechanical: This section was a whole lot easier than I expected. Just know all the basic concepts in Barron’s and you will be set. I remember my hardest question was about a nuclear power plant and so I just guessed on that problem. I think I had one problem with calculations but it was just a F=MxA problem.

Aviation Info: This section was not too bad. Barron’s and the Dummies book will help you a lot on this section. I had a lot of questions on how airplanes work and some aviation history. I do remember I had a Air Force question which I didn’t know the answer so I guessed again. There is a really helpful study guide floating around that is super helpful.

UAV: Its an easy section if you don’t make dumb mistakes like me. I used the trick of drawing the buildings on a sheet of paper and moving the paper around based on the direction of the UAV. I know I missed about 5 for stupid mistakes. They have practice problems before the graded part if you need it.

Flight Thingamajigger: Lol I totally screwed up the first part when you follow the plane with the throttle. I thought I was the yellow plane and I had to follow the crosshairs. NOPE. So the whole time my crosshairs were just sitting at the top of the screen not doing anything! For the part they give you numbers and you have to listen to a target ear, I actually took off the headphones on the side that’s not the target ear. That helped me a lot. For the emergency part, right down all the producers for each emergency, it will be a lifesaver. This part is crazy but don’t worry about it too much. I was on the target maybe 25% of the time. Just have fun with it. Also my flight stick was inverted so that was really confusing the whole time.
Which barrons edition did you use?

silver236

None
I just got done taking ASTB-E for the first time and ended up getting 44 6/9/6. I have no clue how the intricate computation is done for the scores but I am still shocked how I ended up with a 9 for POFAR. I am a business major with 40+ hours of flight time in a Cessna (close to getting my PPL). I only studied for about 2 weeks on and off. I will provide my input shortly.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I just got done taking ASTB-E for the first time and ended up getting 44 6/9/6. I have no clue how the intricate computation is done for the scores but I am still shocked how I ended up with a 9 for POFAR. I am a business major with 40+ hours of flight time in a Cessna (close to getting my PPL). I only studied for about 2 weeks on and off. I will provide my input shortly.

Math is what likely dragged you down. It is a big part of the OAR as well as the primary determiner of the AQR and FOFAR scores. The history and UAV sections are the biggest parts of the PFAR score.

popeye123

Thanks! Yup thats the one. They have 2 practice test each for the ASTB, ASVAB, and SIFT. I recommend doing all of the other testS, but only do the sections that relate to the ASTB.

Was the books questions similar to the test? How many times did you take the test?