• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Hey I have taken the astb-e once already last year. I am taking it again in a couple of weeks to obtain a better more competive score. Two questions,
1. Can anyone properly explain the uav portion? I know they give you a heading over an area and ask you to determine the proper parking lot. Are the parking lots designated to north or what. Or are you oriented right about the target or on approach?

2. When taking the actual exam are you able to take multiple practice questions before you proceed to the graded portion?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hey I have taken the astb-e once already last year. I am taking it again in a couple of weeks to obtain a better more competive score. Two questions,
1. Can anyone properly explain the uav portion? I know they give you a heading over an area and ask you to determine the proper parking lot. Are the parking lots designated to north or what. Or are you oriented right about the target or on approach?

2. When taking the actual exam are you able to take multiple practice questions before you proceed to the graded portion?

1. You are presented with a map (facing north) with an arrow drawn in the direction you are flying. Then the second screen shows the "camera view" (i.e. what the UAV sees) and it asks you to target a specific lot. For example, if the map has the arrow pointing to the right, you know you are flying east. If it then asks you to target the north lot, you would choose the lot on the left side of the camera view.

My best advice is to draw the lots and label them on a sheet of scratch paper. Then, you can rotate the sheet to fit the direction you are flying, and almost instantly know what lot it is asking you to target.

2. It gives you unlimited practice tries, but you have to make sure to click "back" when you get to the screen at the end of the practice questions. If you click next, it will start the test and you won't be able to go back.

1. You are presented with a map (facing north) with an arrow drawn in the direction you are flying. Then the second screen shows the "camera view" (i.e. what the UAV sees) and it asks you to target a specific lot. For example, if the map has the arrow pointing to the right, you know you are flying east. If it then asks you to target the north lot, you would choose the lot on the left side of the camera view.

My best advice is to draw the lots and label them on a sheet of scratch paper. Then, you can rotate the sheet to fit the direction you are flying, and almost instantly know what lot it is asking you to target.

2. It gives you unlimited practice tries, but you have to make sure to click "back" when you get to the screen at the end of the practice questions. If you click next, it will start the test and you won't be able to go back.

Thank you that cleared things up a bit. I saw flashcards online and they made no sense on how they got the answer of the target lot. It was to the point that I questioned myself, and I was an aviation flight major in college. Any advice on the oar section? I had multiple study guides I had purchased before and sad to say everything I studied was not even on the test.

Sarahteacher12

I just took my OAR yesterday morning at 10AM. Here are my thoughts:

Math: The Math portion of the OAR was heavily based on Algebra.. I had questions like: simplify n+2 / n^2 +3. Given the Circumference of a circle, find the Area. (Easy C=2PIEr). They have a formula button on the right with the basic formulas such as Area/C of a circle, sphere, cylinder, etc. Memorizing them will help you apply them better but they are there.

Mechanical: 1 or 2 questions on Mechanical Advantage concepts. 1 on levers. And the rest are basic physics questions, such as what will determine a Cranes period? (The weight of the iron ball attached to it, the length of the cable attached to it, etc).

Reading: a lot more cryptic than I expected. You have to really look at the answer choices and mark which ones don't fit right away, to limit your choices to 2. Then choose between the 2. It can be pretty close with the 2 choices left so practice by watching youtube videos.

I hope this helps.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Thank you that cleared things up a bit. I saw flashcards online and they made no sense on how they got the answer of the target lot. It was to the point that I questioned myself, and I was an aviation flight major in college. Any advice on the oar section? I had multiple study guides I had purchased before and sad to say everything I studied was not even on the test.

"Live by the gouge, die by the gouge"

The books I used are decent, but yes they definitely leave a lot of stuff out. My best advice is to read through this thread from page ~70+ (Dec. 2013, when they switched to the ASTB-E), and read through the ASTB-E impressions thread. You'll get a lot of juicy info in there that you won't see in the books. For example, I got a question about counting in binary in the Math part, and the only reason I taught myself binary counting was because someone else posted that they had gotten a question on it.

4Runner Duck

Took the ASTB for the second time this past Friday night. Was a little nervous at first, but I scored a 6/7/6 59.

The math didn't get too difficult for me, sticking to lots of algebra word problems. The reading was pretty much the same, consisting of lots of military topics which sometimes made it difficult for a civilian.

Mechanical section was typical high school level stuff. Just be comfortable with knowing the laws and properties of liquids and gasses. That was majority of my questions. A few fulcrum questions as well.

The nautical information test was a few random history questions (who broke the sound barrier first), and ship terminology. Quizzle was a great app for this section. Search ASTB to get flash card style study material.

The flight aptitude section was much smoother for me this time. The key is to relax, practice the UAV section as much as you like, and make sure you do well on the dichotic listening test. I didn't do so hot on the emergency procedures section, and still scored a 7 overall.

Will be happy to answer any questions while the test is still fresh in my mind.

Thank you Air Warriors
and the contributing members on this forum!!! You provided a ton of valuable information on here that helped me succeed.

Beagle23

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I'm curious if anyone knew how to compare the ASTB to the Air Force AFOQT. I took the AFOQT earlier in the year and scored a 98 in the Pilot & Quantitative sections, and I am starting to study for the ASTB to take it next month.

Took the ASTB for the second time this past Friday night. Was a little nervous at first, but I scored a 6/7/6 59.

The math didn't get too difficult for me, sticking to lots of algebra word problems. The reading was pretty much the same, consisting of lots of military topics which sometimes made it difficult for a civilian.

Mechanical section was typical high school level stuff. Just be comfortable with knowing the laws and properties of liquids and gasses. That was majority of my questions. A few fulcrum questions as well.

The nautical information test was a few random history questions (who broke the sound barrier first), and ship terminology. Quizzle was a great app for this section. Search ASTB to get flash card style study material.

The flight aptitude section was much smoother for me this time. The key is to relax, practice the UAV section as much as you like, and make sure you do well on the dichotic listening test. I didn't do so hot on the emergency procedures section, and still scored a 7 overall.

Will be happy to answer any questions while the test is still fresh in my mind.

Thank you Air Warriors
and the contributing members on this forum!!! You provided a ton of valuable information on here that helped me succeed.

I will be taking the test for the second time also. Two questions, you can take the uav practice questions as many times as you want before the graded test. 2. For the math, reading, and mechanical sections do you think the study guides still help.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I will be taking the test for the second time also. Two questions, you can take the uav practice questions as many times as you want before the graded test. 2. For the math, reading, and mechanical sections do you think the study guides still help.

Yes, you can do the practice questions as much as you want (make sure to click back though at the end, clicking next will start the actual test).

Yes, the study guides obviously help, but make sure you understand the concepts behind them (The proverbial "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge"). I also found reading the 1001 ASTB questions and ASTB-E impressions threads here very helpful.

4Runner Duck

Yes, you can do the practice questions as much as you want (make sure to click back though at the end, clicking next will start the actual test).

Yes, the study guides obviously help, but make sure you understand the concepts behind them (The proverbial "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge"). I also found reading the 1001 ASTB questions and ASTB-E impressions threads here very helpful.

Yes to what Hopeful said. When you get to the UAV section, it will tell you that you are about to start the practice session. Once the practice session ends, just hit the back button and you will go through the practice again. I would recommend you practice them at least until you can answer most in 2 seconds or less. But don't practice them so much that your brain becomes mush.

Those guides will help you. But as long as you have strong algebra, probability, geometry, and reading skills, you will succeed.

Remember to relax on the joystick section. I didn't do all that great on the emergencies and still managed to get a 7 overall for the PFAR. Plus I'm left handed!

Wishing you the best of luck, man.

BravoMyles

Applicant
Took the ASTB today with a 51 5/6/5. Quick overview before heading to the gym, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

MATH: This is NOT my strong suit, by a long shot. I actually used the entire time limit. One or two probability, a couple simplifying and order of operations stuff, and a word problem or two. I honestly maybe got through 15 questions tops, but overall not too terribly bad if you are strong in math or study a bit.

READING COMPREHENSION: Boring. Like, I know it's been said before, but this is REALLY boring. To make it better though, the sections are short, one paragraph on every one I got. If you happen to know much about a subject you run across beforehand, forget it when you're on that question. Use ONLY the info given in the paragraph. There were a few where I knew more than one answer was right due to previous knowledge, but there was always just one that could me 100% confirmed from the reading.

MECHANICAL: Pretty straightforward. Use some online flashcards that are linked around the site here and you should be fine. Nothing overly complicated and didn't really have to do any math for it.

AVIATION/NAVY KNOWLEDGE: This was pretty easy in my opinion. If you have your private pilot certificate or more, you'll be fine. May want to look over some Navy terms, but that's it. If you don't have any flight experience, find a private pilot study guide and you'll be good to go.

UAV: I drew a basic compass on a sheet of paper and flipped it according to the arrow. My times on most were between 1-2 seconds, with a couple at 2-3. I missed 2 on this (you get an instant right or wrong before the next question) due to making a simple mistake by not adjusting my compass properly after the previous problem.

PERFORMANCE: This was actually really fun. As long as you read the instructions, it's not bad. Not really any way to practice this, just go in and do your best. A little tip on the emergencies, I wrote the procedure for all 3 down on a sheet of paper and kept it between the joystick and throttle. When it came to it, I was able to get them without memory, speeding up my reaction time since I didn't have to try and remember them. I had a mistake on one simply because I didn't have it perfectly centered on the controls themselves. It was centered on the screen, but since it wasn't "set" it counted it wrong until I corrected it to perfect. Make sure it's set in the correct position and you're good.

Biggity

First, I want to start by giving an enthusiastic THANK YOU to everyone who has posted gouge links and files, study tips, and test tactics! I'd been lurking around these forums for about 4 months before joining last February. Some personal/career stuff came up about March-July, so I had to put my officer goals on the burner for a little bit sorting it all out. I started hot and heavy on the studying again in September, and the last month leading up to my test on Monday included 1-4 hours a night studying. I walked out with a "meh" feeling on the OAR, and had to return the next morning to receive my other scores (tech difficulties). In the end, my first attempt at the ATSB was: 64 with a 9/8/9.

Gouge in general: I had numerous copies of atrickpay's gouge (on my tablet at work, paper copies in my bag when the tablet ran out) as well as two practice tests with about a dozen blank bubble sheets. For books used I had a hard copy of Master The Military Flight Aptitude Tests (8th Ed) by Peterson's Publishing. They can be found in just about any Barnes and Noble (or similar) store.

In general, multiple-choice question test-taking involved spending some time on a question, until you start feeling hair raise on your neck and you move on to try and make the most of your time. You could always come back and double check if you were unsure, or finish open questions at the end, right? Wrong. Every section of the ASTB-E that I took showed me one question at a time, and I could not move on until I answered the question. There would be no going back, and you can't double check your inputs. Another note, it tells you in the instructions that your answer will than drive the test's logic in choosing the next question from it's pool. For that reason, I felt very unconfident after several tests because the difficulty would start ramping up, and then all of a sudden I'd hit a few softballs in a row. Not a confidence builder if you expect correct answer inputs to result in hard questions. Feather for your test-cap, I guess.

Studying Math: I studied hardest with this section, as it's been almost 6 years since I've graduated college. I focused mainly on formulas in regards to acid solutions, time spent on certain questions during a test, and the old standby of high school tests: if A can complete a job in this time, and B can do the same job in THIS time, how long will it take to complete the job together? How long if A quits after such-and-such time?
ASTB Math: With my test, I was WAY over-prepared. A vast majority of my questions involved test scores and averages (first three scores given, fourth score is 9/8 of third score, what must he score on test 5 and 6 to have an average grade X?). There were a few perimeter to volume (or vice versa) questions. Those were simple enough. I had only one statistics question, and it was a softball of a question (715 kids gave Y answer, there are X number of students in the class. What is the probability of a random person's answer being Y?). There was one question about two cylinders having the same volume, please describe A's relationship to B if A is twice as tall, and the formula was given WITH the problem. Another question tested my knowledge of exponents and how to multiply them. Honestly, after all the studying I did, I was disappointed there wasn't ONE question about acid solutions.

Studying Reading Comprehension: There really wasn't a lot of traditional "studying" for me to do here. Half the time these questions can go one of two ways after eliminating the two LEAST likely answers. I just did my best to identify the two worst answers on my practice tests, and move on from there. Paper tests were nice here because I could cross out the bad answers and my eyes wouldn't be drawn to them. The other half of my studying habit here was developing a little timer in my head to help judge how much time was lost thinking too hard.
ASTB Reading Comp: This went just about how I expected, with one caveat. Being on a computer, I couldn't line out bad answers. I went cross-eyed a couple times and lost precious moments re-reading the whole question.

Studying Mechanical Knowledge: This was my worst subject at first, but I was pretty quick picking up a lot of the common principles. Remembering pulley-related issues (distance traveled, mechanical advantage, speed of revolving pulleys) was my biggest sticking point for some reason, but I wasn't going into that test with such a large weak spot. Between pulleys, electric schematics, cam/RPM questions, I slayed myself studying Mechanical Knowledge.
ASTB Mechanical Knowledge: I think this is where a large portion of my study-blinder-related problems occurred. It wasn't until I got the same question two or three times that I remembered that Newtons (force) = Kilograms (mass) X Gravity (acceleration). I felt really stupid. Also, I had practically the same question asked of me three times about constant force on a horizontal plane (with negligible friction) equaling what change in acceleration? I stuck to my guns/first answer because if force and mass are constant, than so is acceleration.

Studying Aviation/Nautical Information: A little background here first. My degrees (Associate's in Applied Science and Bachelor's of Science in Flight Operations, Commercial Concentration), my licenses/ratings (Commercial, Instrument, and Multi-engine being the big ones), and 6 years enlisted aircrew on USMC aircraft all gave me a pretty secure sense of aviation knowledge. I focused primarily, then, on nautical information. I studied aids to navigation, nautical right-of-way rules, general Lat/Long coordinates (at X degrees N and Y degrees W, where are you?), and some shipping-related terms (freeboard, draft, etc). I felt really, REALLY confident about this part.
ASTB Aviation/Nautical Info: This was humbling. The first few aviation questions were pretty generic (how do you "lean" the aircraft, how are runways labeled, control about what axis is actuated with X surface). As far as aviation history, I got hit with a few change-ups. Best example: which aircraft broke the sound barrier first? (STOP! I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING) Bell X-1 was not even an option. Instead, I feel that of the options given, you had to choose the first one to break the barrier. Hint: The XS-1 is a space plane. I am dumb. There were several questions focusing on WWII aircraft. In that sense be prepared to identify an aircraft by its power plant, intended role, and/or major accomplishment. (What aircraft entered service just before Midway and was a torpedo bomber? What aircraft was a high performance piston driven fighter?) On the nautical side of the house, know the difference between Orlop and quarterdecks. Know what certain number of bells/blasts signify when ships are underway. I can't remember much past those things. My mind was hurting after that part....as I said earlier: humbling.

Performance-Based Eval: I had not checked the forums on this part prior to taking the test. A buddy in the squadron told me about this part, and said it was nothing like any flight sim I'd ever experienced. (Just do your best and have a sense of humor, he said).

UAV: Prior experience with on-board systems and whatnot GREATLY affected my abilities here. The one or two questions I got wrong is because I got click happy and didn't mouse over enough to the right lot. If you feel you MIGHT need the homemade compass, by all means, use it. I feel that without my prior experience, I would have needed the visual aid.

Target ear/hearing: I did the same thing here I do during annual audiograms: tilt towards the sound, and take your time. Beware, some letter/number sounds are VERY similar (2-Q, 3-DEGV, 5-IY, etc). There's a reason that you annunciate numbers differently on the radio in the plane. It really showed here.

Joystick/Sim: Read the instructions carefully. Crack a smile. Try your best to keep cursors close to the target icon, and don't focus on one control for more than a second. Keep a constant flow checking between two targets. You don't lose points for chuckling because you know your tongue is poking out of your mouth while you concentrate. BREATHE. On the Emergency part, take your time. The first emergency I spent about 5-6 seconds correcting and got it right the first time. The second emergency I thought I had it in 4 seconds, and put the plane into duress. So, TAKE YOUR TIME.

At the end of the test, my proctor showed me his clipboard. There were tally marks for every time I muttered a "what the fu..", "are you kidding", or just laughed to myself. There were quite a few. According to him, all proctors on base are required to take the test before being eligible to proctor that exam, in order to -and I quote- "sympathize with the applicant". I felt ridiculous in the end. My OAR was available right off the bat, but since my BI-RV expired about a week earlier, I had to re-do that test. Since someone else had to take a proctored exam I couldn't go back in after the BI-RV to get my letter. I spent all night thinking that the OAR was an optimistic score, and the other 3 would be VERY dismal. In the end, my advice would be to stay humble, stay hungry, and CONSTANTLY look for new study materials. My nautical info scope was pretty bare, and I'm sure my test answers were affected negatively (most of the nautical part turned into a coin flip between the two best-looking answers).

....And that's about it, I guess. Sorry for the wall of text. I really hope this helps you out if that's what you're looking through this forum for. I plan to apply to OCC 223 (if my addled memory serves me correctly, at this point) once my in-grade resident course is complete in March. While I wish you all the best of luck, the little selfish voice in me wonders how I'll fare against the rest of the applicants. If you have questions for me, feel free to send them. I'll answer to the best of my ability.

For the past hour I've been searching for atrickplay's study gouge and I can't find it anywhere on here.. Does anyone have the link? Thank you.

gsalg

For the past hour I've been searching for atrickplay's study gouge and I can't find it anywhere on here.. Does anyone have the link? Thank you.

T minus 5 days for me I'm going at it hard.

Attachments

• ASTB Personal Study Guide-2.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 201