• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

flynavy830

Hi all, I am new here. I am in the process of applying for PLC air. I took the astb last week and got 69, 8/5/7, so my pilot score was one notch below qualifying (6 is necessary for Marine Aviators). My OSO said that unfortunately the Marine's are not offering anymore NFO contracts, which is too bad because I would take my 7 and run with it.

My question is, can anybody shed any light on what the fact that my FOFAR score was a 7 but my PFAR score was a 5 means? As I prepare to retake in 90 days, is there any way to tell what specific parts I should focus on to raise my PFAR score?

Thanks for any and all help!

I would venture to guess that you did well on the UAV section but not as well on the joystick portion? How did you do during that? I scored an 8 on PFAR and 7 on FOFAR. I missed about 5 on the UAV and had a 2-5 section reaction time. I thought I did very well with listening and all joystick portions, and also did all three emergency procedures correct.

hopefulflyer

I would venture to guess that you did well on the UAV section but not as well on the joystick portion? How did you do during that? I scored an 8 on PFAR and 7 on FOFAR. I missed about 5 on the UAV and had a 2-5 section reaction time. I thought I did very well with listening and all joystick portions, and also did all three emergency procedures correct.

Well, I definitely didn't feel confident at all on the joystick part. I did do the three procedures correctly, but I felt absolutely terrible at chasing the planes around and towards the end missed some listening cues. My solace was that I had read that everyone feels like they did poorly.

I didn't think I did great on UAV either, I missed a few and had 2-5 second reaction time as well, but if that was you and we got the same FOFAR score then maybe that's it. Does the UAV section not factor into your PFAR score at all?

flynavy830

Well, I definitely didn't feel confident at all on the joystick part. I did do the three procedures correctly, but I felt absolutely terrible at chasing the planes around and towards the end missed some listening cues. My solace was that I had read that everyone feels like they did poorly.

I didn't think I did great on UAV either, I missed a few and had 2-5 second reaction time as well, but if that was you and we got the same FOFAR score then maybe that's it. Does the UAV section not factor into your PFAR score at all?

I have no idea, sorry.

gsalg

when you are doing the exam does it tell you what questions you got wrong? I can't seem to find that on here. Some people say oh i got a couple on the UAV wrong. Does it tell you on just the UAV portion if you got it right or wrong? And does it tell you right away or does it tell you after? And does the OAR have anything to do with your aviation portion at all or is it just a mixture of what you take after the OAR?

mb1685

The UAV section tells you instantly if you get one wrong, if I recall correctly. I don't believe anywhere else on the test will tell you if you get something wrong. The OAR score isn't comprised of any aviation subtests (since it can be generated without taking them), but the OAR sections are factored into the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR in some way.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Yes, UAV gives you instant feedback on each question before moving on to the next one. OAR is solely Math, Reading, and Mechanics.

Sarahteacher12

Hey! How are things going? Any update news?? I take my OAR on Wednesday. Wish me luck! Been studying the mechanical portion a lot. Good to go on math.

Sarah cameron

bowtieman81

Hello everyone. I just took my OAR test today. I scored a 60, which is not too bad. I was hoping to score a few points higher, but I think I will at least in the running with a 60. My thoughts on the sections are:

Math: The time limit for this portion was 40 minutes, but what shocked me was that I was done in just 18 minutes. I would say I had at most 16 questions total, maybe less. I was watching the time, expecting to use about 1 minute per question. Had I know I would finish with 20 minutes to spare I would have moved a bit slower. Oh well.

Reading: What others have said is true. The passages are rather dull, and some of the answers definitely seemed really close. Just pay close attention to the answers; if you cannot get the info in the answer from the paragraph then it is not the correct choice.

Mechanical: More straightforward than I expected. Don't recall needing to memorize any formulas. If you have the basic physics down you should be fine.

Pete

BravoMyles

Applicant
@bowtieman81 What about the Aviation and Nautical Information section? I'm worried about the history type questions that I'm seeing around. Hopefully taking my ASTB next week and wanting to study these more, did you use any guides in particular?

gsalg

December 28th for me guys, recruiter just called me saved the date. And bravo maybe I'm wrong but he said he took the OAR so he wouldn't take the ANI section.

bowtieman81

Bravo, I only took the the OAR portion of the test. I did forget to mention in my previous post that I got a question on binary numbers on my ASTB. I think it was something like what is the number 6 in binary code. That totally threw me since I have not looked at binary code since 2004.

ALT

Soooo...anybody else get a score error from today? I took it and got my OAR (62, not very happy with that but I'll post more details later) but have to retake the ASTB-only portions.

exNavyOffRec

Soooo...anybody else get a score error from today? I took it and got my OAR (62, not very happy with that but I'll post more details later) but have to retake the ASTB-only portions.

62 is a fine score and all you really need is a decent one to get to the board.

Hey I have taken the astb-e once already last year. I am taking it again in a couple of weeks to obtain a better more competive score. Two questions,
1. Can anyone properly explain the uav portion? I know they give you a heading over an area and ask you to determine the proper parking lot. Are the parking lots designated to north or what. Or are you oriented right about the target or on approach?

2. When taking the actual exam are you able to take multiple practice questions before you proceed to the graded portion?