• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Make sure to know fractional exponents, negative exponents, and logs (i.e. how to write them as an exponent) as well.

flynavy830

Make sure to know fractional exponents, negative exponents, and logs (i.e. how to write them as an exponent) as well.

Thanks, I'm just trying to find as much practice as possible. While Kahn and purple math have examples I don't think its deep enough. Or maybe I'm overthinking it a bit :)

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I don't remember fractions being that difficult, just know how to simplify/rewrite them and you should be ok.

James GII

Update. I just took the exam in September. The time is not unlimited. You get 5 attempts to practice and then it puts you into the true exam. Do not bank on the "unlimited" practice.

To best practice this portion you'll need to look up flashcards in the interwebs and just run through those until you start to understand the concept.

The arrow will point you in the direction your aircraft is heading. So if the arrow is point north and it asks to target the south lot then the bottom square is your target. This is pretty confusing for anyone at first but you'll get the hang of it.

My advice is draw the map with the building and four parking lots. Label each one appropriately according to the Cardinal directions. Then, as the system tells you what direction you're going, orient the paper so that it reflects that direction.

Ie.
Heading is south east.
Rotate paper so that the south and east parking lots are at the "top" of the page.
Target whichever lot the system asks you to target.
That paper trick is fantastic. Will I be allowed to do this on the test? Thanks for the comment!

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
That paper trick is fantastic. Will I be allowed to do this on the test? Thanks for the comment!

Yeah you'll be able to do whatever you'd like with the paper. I was locked away in a room both times I took the exam. The paper allowed me a marked improvement on my previous scores.
Haven't heard of anyone having issues with it before.

Edit: I can't take credit for the idea of using a paper compass. It is somewhere, lost in the forum, that I found it. But I figured I'd share since it is insanely helpful.

James GII

Yeah you'll be able to do whatever you'd like with the paper. I was locked away in a room both times I took the exam. The paper allowed me a marked improvement on my previous scores.
Haven't heard of anyone having issues with it before.

Edit: I can't take credit for the idea of using a paper compass. It is somewhere, lost in the forum, that I found it. But I figured I'd share since it is insanely helpful.
Yes it is! That will help me out a lot. I appreciate the spread of knowledge. By the way, have you been offered a ship date yet to OCS? I'm still trying to figure out how this all works out.

mb1685

Thanks, I'm just trying to find as much practice as possible. While Kahn and purple math have examples I don't think its deep enough. Or maybe I'm overthinking it a bit :)

Khan Academy is definitely sufficient if you're willing to put a lot of time into going through many sections. I haven't had a math class since Fall 2007 and I dove very deep into Khan Academy to refresh myself with many concepts, and I did pretty darn good if I do say so myself (60 9/9/8). Math was actually the only section I didn't finish in time because I'm a bit of a slow worker when it comes to math, but I was getting a lot of logarithm problems, so I assume I was doing well.

As for the paper compass trick, it's a good idea and will probably help you if you're not feeling confident at all about the UAV section, but I'd recommend using the flash cards religiously and REALLY training your brain to be able to translate the positions with no assistance. If you can get your brain working that way, I'm sure you'll be much quicker than if you had to fumble around with the paper.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
Yes it is! That will help me out a lot. I appreciate the spread of knowledge. By the way, have you been offered a ship date yet to OCS? I'm still trying to figure out how this all works out.

Not yet, I am currently waiting for the December 1st board to convene and make their decisions. I expect to hear back within the week from then. I have my fingers crossed for a quick report date and Finsel as well. Want to get out of here and get on the move.

It's an old adage that my Army buddy told me. The military is a lot of "hurry up and wait." Get somewhere fast, and then wait on them to tell you where to go next.

jwm90

Coffee > Sleep
Took the ASTB-E today and got:

OAR: 44
AQR: 4
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 5

I was told that my PFAR was great and that as I'd like to become a pilot, that I'm on my way. Can anyone attest to that? I'm retaking the test in 90-ish days and hope to come out with better scores everywhere else. I had a 3.32 GPA in college and my references are sound. Is there anyone out there that thinks I can make it to OCS with my current scores or do I need to hit the books again? Thank you guys, this forum / community is amazing.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
If you can get your kit in for this board might as well try. Scores are on the bubble but the selection rates have been 90%+ the past couple of years.

exNavyOffRec

Took the ASTB-E today and got:

OAR: 44
AQR: 4
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 5

I was told that my PFAR was great and that as I'd like to become a pilot, that I'm on my way. Can anyone attest to that? I'm retaking the test in 90-ish days and hope to come out with better scores everywhere else. I had a 3.32 GPA in college and my references are sound. Is there anyone out there that thinks I can make it to OCS with my current scores or do I need to hit the books again? Thank you guys, this forum / community is amazing.

I would try and get to this board before retesting, but your PFAR isn't great, it is "sufficient" so unless you like to jump up and yell "I'm average!" I would say your OR is trying to make you feel good.

James GII

This Friday, November 20th, I take the ASTB-E and I have been studying so much these past 3 weeks that I am really looking forward to finally being tested over the things I've learned. However, I am nervous about the timed part of the test. I have taken 3 practice math portions and I always end with about 3-4 questions unanswered (I circle answers anyway because I know that I will be penalized for unanswered). My question is what do I do in the case that I just can't figure out a problem or I am really rushed for time? Just guess? I don't want to but I feel like anything would help. And are you allowed to skip questions on the test or do you have to go 1 by 1 and if you don't know it, you have to guess to move on?

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
This Friday, November 20th, I take the ASTB-E and I have been studying so much these past 3 weeks that I am really looking forward to finally being tested over the things I've learned. However, I am nervous about the timed part of the test. I have taken 3 practice math portions and I always end with about 3-4 questions unanswered (I circle answers anyway because I know that I will be penalized for unanswered). My question is what do I do in the case that I just can't figure out a problem or I am really rushed for time? Just guess? I don't want to but I feel like anything would help. And are you allowed to skip questions on the test or do you have to go 1 by 1 and if you don't know it, you have to guess to move on?

You go one by one, no skipping or going back. They will actually have a briefing at the start to each section with that sort of information. If you definitely, irrefutably don't know something, give it your best guess and move on. Better to answer a bunch correct and have a few wrong, than to be stuck working a single problem without the guarantee of it being right.

James GII

You go one by one, no skipping or going back. They will actually have a briefing at the start to each section with that sort of information. If you definitely, irrefutably don't know something, give it your best guess and move on. Better to answer a bunch correct and have a few wrong, than to be stuck working a single problem without the guarantee of it being right.
Thanks again for the answer. It is much appreciated!