• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

CGrissom15

Alright i take my test tomorrow at 0930, besides all the great information and study guides I've seen up here. Is there anything I should really look over tonight before I close out for the studying? As well any test taking tips I should know about? Thanks once again.

My one tip that will make a difference would be to write down the emergency procedures before you go through them at the end. You may already know that, but it made a difference for me! Good luck!

Gillie1985

Well just got home from the test. The computer network kept shutting down. OAR wise I didn't meet the competitive score of 50, I got a 38. I'm not upset, it just means I have 90 days to study harder and get this score up. I can say the easiest part for me was the math. I didn't do very well on the reading part. The Mechanical part was so/so. Some of it I knew, but most of it was new to me. Once again thanks for all the help on this site. Hopefully in April i can post some very high scores for you guys.

exNavyOffRec

Well just got home from the test. The computer network kept shutting down. OAR wise I didn't meet the competitive score of 50, I got a 38. I'm not upset, it just means I have 90 days to study harder and get this score up. I can say the easiest part for me was the math. I didn't do very well on the reading part. The Mechanical part was so/so. Some of it I knew, but most of it was new to me. Once again thanks for all the help on this site. Hopefully in April i can post some very high scores for you guys.

What designators did you want to go for? if looking for NFO the FOFAR is the biggest part.

Gillie1985

Yes NFO, but the computer kept shutting down. I will be going back next week to take the rest of the Aviation part, at least I can get a full understanding of if before my 90 day mark. Yet, my recruiter said I most likely won't get looked at with the OAR score. I got cut off at the NATFI part and it shut down.

exNavyOffRec

Yes NFO, but the computer kept shutting down. I will be going back next week to take the rest of the Aviation part, at least I can get a full understanding of if before my 90 day mark. Yet, my recruiter said I most likely won't get looked at with the OAR score. I got cut off at the NATFI part and it shut down.

the computer remembers where you were at, and it is adaptive. I had guys that had to come back that ended up with 8's and 9's so it won't affect the score.

Gillie1985

Thanks my recruiter told me if I can pull off 8's across the board and get some interviews done by an 05 or above I should have a great shot. I have a current GPA over 3.4 and I should be up to a 3.7 or 8 by graduation. I have four years as an AM as well great eval, Honor guard for my old command, Cadet Ensign in JrROTC, track and field with awards, both Air and Surface warfare and currently working for the DoD civilian sector.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks my recruiter told me if I can pull off 8's across the board and get some interviews done by an 05 or above I should have a great shot. I have a current GPA over 3.4 and I should be up to a 3.7 or 8 by graduation. I have four years as an AM as well great eval, Honor guard for my old command, Cadet Ensign in JrROTC, track and field with awards, both Air and Surface warfare and currently working for the DoD civilian sector.

for aviation they will care about the scores, and not the interviews.

aebchoi

I have a question.

I am 23 years old with a 2.3 gpa BA Psychology from UCSD. I tried going for officer, but when I spoke with a recruiter, he told me that my gpa was too uncompetitive.

So, I decided to join the enlisted side hoping that the officer course would be more easier there. I am currently 5 months in and started at my first command 3 weeks ago. My question is, should I concentrate on getting quals (ESWS) and ranking up first (I am currently E-3 and can take the E-4 exam in march) before studying for the ASTB-E or just try to apply for NFO as soon as possible?

I should be able to finish my quals and my exams by april giving me a couple months to apply for NFO. Also, when would be a good time to apply for ocs since NFO is a rolling board?

Much Thanks!

Gillie1985

Your best bet is to talk to your future CCC. He/she will help you out. I can't say how well your GPA will play a role, from what I hear they want a 3.2 or higher, having your surface will only get you so far. Plus you are new to the fleet. Your command will look into the over all manning, so you would need your C.O to recommend you for any officer program. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's good to have some salt under your belt. I only seen one person get picked for OCS in my.prior command. You would have to be shit hot in your soon to be command. I say knock out the E4 coming up then focus on OCS.

exNavyOffRec

I have a question.

I am 23 years old with a 2.3 gpa BA Psychology from UCSD. I tried going for officer, but when I spoke with a recruiter, he told me that my gpa was too uncompetitive.

So, I decided to join the enlisted side hoping that the officer course would be more easier there. I am currently 5 months in and started at my first command 3 weeks ago. My question is, should I concentrate on getting quals (ESWS) and ranking up first (I am currently E-3 and can take the E-4 exam in march) before studying for the ASTB-E or just try to apply for NFO as soon as possible?

I should be able to finish my quals and my exams by april giving me a couple months to apply for NFO. Also, when would be a good time to apply for ocs since NFO is a rolling board?

Much Thanks!

There is "not competitive" and "not qualified", the OR should have explained this back when you talked to him or her.

The min GPA for NFO is 2.5, the minimum GPA for nearly all programs is over 2.5 which means with a GPA of 2.3 you are not qualified to apply the couple that are not are IDC and those are the most competitive with most people having a GPA in the mid 3's that are being picked up so those you would be considered not competitive.

aebchoi

But the NFO program instructions did not mention a minimum gpa.

I was hoping that a awesome astb score would offset the gpa and show that I have what it takes to go through the NFO program.

exNavyOffRec

But the NFO program instructions did not mention a minimum gpa.

I was hoping that a awesome astb score would offset the gpa and show that I have what it takes to go through the NFO program.

It isn't listed in this revision of the PA but the minimum is 2.5 sometimes they leave things out by accident and they fix it in the next revision.