• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Scarface_F/L

OCC 193, here we go!
Astb Gouge

Rouster said:
Hello,

I'm currently studying for the ASTB. I am using the marine gouge and the Arco books. I have two questions for the recent takers of ASTB.

I just took version three a few weeks back, I highly reccommend the Gouge. As there will be many variations of the questions, most will be dead on with the gouge. I would recommed studying some of the concepts of Archmedies, and Tension. There were only a few Questions that had me saying WTF, but most were general.

My scores came in and I passed first shot, just awaiting the board results. Good Luck.

Conaway

Hello,

I'm currently studying for the ASTB. I am using the marine gouge and the Arco books. I have two questions for the recent takers of ASTB.

For the mechanical section, the marine gouge gives me the impression that I won't be solving the problems for values, just understanding the concepts would be fine. The arco books, however, have mechanical problems in which I would have to solve for values. What are the ASTB questions similar to? Marine Gouge? Arco?

For the mathematical section, the marine gouge seemed relatively simple (for me), the Arco was much more trickier. Is the ASTB more similar to the Marine Gouge or the Arco books?

Thanks. :icon_glas

The mechanical questions are just like the Marine Gouge, not identical, but similar. The ARCO book is useless for information and only useful for learning your weaknesses and understanding how the test works. That's my short and sweet version.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The ARCO book tends to have their practice tests be harder than the actual ASTB, the theory being that you'll become better prepared that way. Its pretty good prep, but then again other members have offered some good advice. The gouge on here is very helpful.

submarinerssbn

I took the ASTB and i got a score of 48 on the OAR
AQR=5
PFAR=6
FPFAR=5

and my GPA when i graduate will be somewhere around 3.50 or 3.60

Is this score good enough? I was thinking about taking it again and trying to increase my score, but that could also backfire. what if i were to score lower? you only get three tries. I don't think it is the best i could do but just curious what you guys think.....

I am sure i will study harder and retake it but just wanted to see what youall think i should do..(your inputs are appreciated.)

blur

A-pool
I'm going to assume you are going for SNA correct?

If that is correct, then your scores are a little low, but you have a good GPA. The good news is they look at the whole person concept, so get solid LORs and write a strong motivational statement.

This is just my opinion, but I'd apply with what you got, keep studying, and if you don't make it just retake the ASTB and use that to put in a reconsideration package.

Good luck...

nugget81

pilot
Put in your package with the current numbers. If you get accepted, then you're all set. If you don't get accepted, retake the ASTB and get better scores. Now your package will have some improvement the second time round.

MIPilotSP

My ASTB score was 50 5/5/5 and I was selected for a pilot spot. I believe the minimum score required is 34 3/4/3.

From what I've heard, the board doesn't just look at the ASTB. They look at the "whole person."

I had strong letters of recommendation and personal statement. I also did a volunteer reading program and extra curricular activities.

As long as the rest of your package is strong, I'm sure you'll be fine submitting with your current scores.

Good luck!

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Your score is average. I've known a few guys who were selected SNA with comparable numbers.

Optimum11

The OCS board certainly looks at the "Whole Individual" as mentioned earlier. The stronger recommendations you have the more it will help. Also having a strong Officer interview is important. The test scores certainly are taken into consideration but you can counterbalance that with other aspects of your package. The more leadership quality characteristics you posses certainly does not hurt (i.e. community service, offices held on different student boards or clubs, captains roles in athletics).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The climate for acceptance is probably different from when I applied but I can tell you I would take it again if I was you.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I took the ASTB and i got a score of 48 on the OAR
AQR=5
PFAR=6
FPFAR=5

and my GPA when i graduate will be somewhere around 3.50 or 3.60

Is this score good enough? I was thinking about taking it again and trying to increase my score, but that could also backfire. what if i were to score lower? you only get three tries. I don't think it is the best i could do but just curious what you guys think.....

I am sure i will study harder and retake it but just wanted to see what youall think i should do..(your inputs are appreciated.)

There was a guy in here a few months ago that got picked up for pilot with a 5/6/5 - 46. I just got picked up in October with a 5/7/6 - 50. However, we were both prior enlisted and he was sailor of the year and I had six O-6 / O-5 LOR's. But it s definitely worth a try. Put in your package and study your ass off while your waiting for those results. If you don't get picked up, retake the test, and if you do get picked up, you'll still be smarter :D

The Stoic

I'm basically as civilian as they come and had a score of 47 5/5/5 and got picked up for SWO (my first choice) and have heard of allot of guy getting picked up with similar scores. My GPA was allot lower, 2.7 to be exact, but what pulled me out was my leadership in college and allot of excellent LOR's.

Point of my post - In the end I believe I was picked up because I was balanced all around. So try your best and everything and just apply, and soon.

PM me if you have any further questions about my process to use as a reference point.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
There was a guy in here a few months ago that got picked up for pilot with a 5/6/5 - 46. I just got picked up in October with a 5/7/6 - 50. However, we were both prior enlisted and he was sailor of the year and I had six O-6 / O-5 LOR's. But it s definitely worth a try. Put in your package and study your ass off while your waiting for those results. If you don't get picked up, retake the test, and if you do get picked up, you'll still be smarter :D

To add to what everyone has already said....... anything is possible. I just got picked up with a 5/6/6 - 47 for SNA and NFO (SNA was my #1 choice). I too am currently enlisted with a 3.45 GPA and multiple O-5/O-6 LOR's. If you have a strong overall package, I would say do it. If you are weak in multiple areas, study, then retake. My $.02