• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

eranger24

Has anyone tried the technique by removing one side of the headphones (and replacing) on the dichotic listening portion? If so how did it go for you?

Oldsawbonez

Old FMF Doc
Does anyone know of any good 1 on 1 tutoring resources available? I just took the ASTB today and did not score to well (4,3, and 4) and need some extra help studying. Thanks!

KHam

SNFO Pro Rec- Y
Does anyone know of any good 1 on 1 tutoring resources available? I just took the ASTB today and did not score too well (4,3, and 4) and need some extra help studying. Thanks!
I have a tutor through the ASTB Tutoring app. Been using them for about a month and a half now and have made a lot of progress. Sessions are about $80 for two hours. You probably could also see if there are any high school/college level tutors in your local area.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
I'm planning on taking the ASTB again in a few days, hoping for 8's and 9's (fingers crossed).

For those of you who have taken the ASTB recently, were you asked any questions about valence electrons during the mechanical comprehension section? If so, what kind of information were you given? I've been browsing some posts from years back and found a few mentioning valence electron questions. I'm trying to assess if I would need to memorize the periodic table to have a shot at getting those questions correct or not, or even if they are asked in the first place.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Has anyone tried the technique by removing one side of the headphones (and replacing) on the dichotic listening portion? If so how did it go for you?
Yes, I did on my first take. It was effective for me, but I'm planning on slowing down on my next take. Got a couple wrong because tried to press the button too quickly and instinctively pressed the opposite one.

Aggie23

I considered it but when I tried it with the practice/headphones test portion it was a bad idea. For me at least, it played both sides in both ears, with both of the headphones on the volume difference was enough to know which side it was but listening to only one at a time I couldn't. Not sure if that makes sense but I wouldn't recommend it, stick with the leaning your head toward the desired direction method.

willowmaverick

I’m a Midshipman and got a 787. I really don’t have anything new to bring to the table, but seriously get the ASTB app, go through the syllabus for things your weak in. I had a huge focus on ANIT and mechanical and after a couple months I felt like I had made it a strength. Read books for fun to prep for the English portion, I picked up a bunch of old military fiction books from a garage sale and I suppose it must’ve helped, plus there good reads. Lastly, drill the UAV Flashcards on the app. I did it when I was bored on the couch or in a car for two months and and was able to reach a 25/25 under .9 seconds. Good luck y’all.

eranger24

I considered it but when I tried it with the practice/headphones test portion it was a bad idea. For me at least, it played both sides in both ears, with both of the headphones on the volume difference was enough to know which side it was but listening to only one at a time I couldn't. Not sure if that makes sense but I wouldn't recommend it, stick with the leaning your head toward the desired direction method.
So I took it last friday and only took of the side of the headphone off during the listening without tracing the targets. Scored 5/8/7

austingator3

Hey all,

I have been studying for the ASTB now for about a month, but I have a question I seem to find mixed answers on. Is there negative points for wrong answers? Basically, after going through all the questions, is it best to go back and guess on questions that I am not positive on? Any tips would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Ottoman5000

I’m a Midshipman and got a 787. I really don’t have anything new to bring to the table, but seriously get the ASTB app, go through the syllabus for things your weak in. I had a huge focus on ANIT and mechanical and after a couple months I felt like I had made it a strength. Read books for fun to prep for the English portion, I picked up a bunch of old military fiction books from a garage sale and I suppose it must’ve helped, plus there good reads. Lastly, drill the UAV Flashcards on the app. I did it when I was bored on the couch or in a car for two months and and was able to reach a 25/25 under .9 seconds. Good luck y’all.
Were the choices the same on the test as the app? A B C D I noticed were different directions on quizlet than on the App

willowmaverick

Hey all,

I have been studying for the ASTB now for about a month, but I have a question I seem to find mixed answers on. Is there negative points for wrong answers? Basically, after going through all the questions, is it best to go back and guess on questions that I am not positive on? Any tips would be super helpful.

Thanks!
When you get answers wrong, expect an easier question on the next one. If you get one right, expect a harder one. You can’t skip questions though, so you have to give each one your best shot.

LCatch

Does anyone know of any good 1 on 1 tutoring resources available? I just took the ASTB today and did not score to well (4,3, and 4) and need some extra help studying. Thanks!
For the math/mechanics portion, any HS/college-level tutor should be able to teach you what you need to know. The pilot and NFO portions are mostly on you. Buy a joystick and practice with the online simulator. Practice flashcards.