• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

OptionsDollaraire

Also, whatever you do, don't make the joystick and throttle fixed to the table. Practice real world conditions. The joystick and throttle aren't fixed to the table at the testing location so don't handicap yourself.

JackT

Also, whatever you do, don't make the joystick and throttle fixed to the table. Practice real world conditions. The joystick and throttle aren't fixed to the table at the testing location so don't handicap yourself.
Yes, the suction cups do not have any suction capabilities.

JackT

There's plenty of study resources in these forums that people have posted both recently and in the past. Just use the search bar or click back through the pages on this thread and you'll find a plethora.

Also feel free to DM me and I can share what I used.
I just found this forum today so I have been searching. Have you seen Kyle's ASTB study guide?

FlightEngineerBobby

SNA Applicant (ISPP)
This is a game-chamger. Supplement that with Jantzen's sim while waiting to retake and I'm 95% sure OP can boost his PFAR to atleast a 6 or 7. Don't neglect the OAR though, even though its really only your ticket to the board you still want to boost your AQR since it's heavily weighted along with PFAR for SNA.

Edit: OP, don't feel rushed to retake the test either. Really commit your time to studying and treat the ASTB like it's basically your golden key to a ProRec-Y... because it pretty much is, given that the rest of your application looks good. You only get 3 lifetime chances so, don't waste a retake if you're not confident that you'll do well on it. I studied for about two months after I first took it, went back in and scored what I will be submitting this Fall. Study hard and stay motivated.
I’ll be the idiot in the room. What’s jantzens sim? I’m retaking in 30 days as the last piece to my ISPP package. I need to boost my PFAR 1 point.

space_sailor

I’ll be the idiot in the room. What’s jantzens sim? I’m retaking in 30 days as the last piece to my ISPP package. I need to boost my PFAR 1 point.

Edit: if there's anything I learned in university it's to be the idiot in the room. Gotta learn somehow and asking questions is an excellent way to do so.

JackT

Edit: if there's anything I learned in university it's to be the idiot in the room. Gotta learn somehow and asking questions is an excellent way to do so.
Can you connect a throttle and joystick to this software?

JackT

My recruiter says that after these next two boards in October, and I believe either December or January, that when I am accepted I won't ship out for OCS until late 2024 or early 2025. Is this what y'all have been seeing the past year or so? That seems like quite a while for a branch that is hurting extremely bad for pilots.

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,
I am pursuing a pilot slot.
I took my ASTB about two weeks ago, I got a 41 3/4/4, which is terrible.
I studied an ASTB prep book for about two weeks prior, walked into the exam with tons of confidence, but i bombed it. Any recommendations on study material before my next exam?

The only thing positive with my application is my 3.6 GPA, and that I'm a starter and team captain on my college baseball team.
Unfortunately your PFAR is the most important piece of the puzzle team captain on sports team has no benefit.

space_sailor

My recruiter says that after these next two boards in October, and I believe either December or January, that when I am accepted I won't ship out for OCS until late 2024 or early 2025. Is this what y'all have been seeing the past year or so? That seems like quite a while for a branch that is hurting extremely bad for pilots.
Not sure where you heard that the US Navy is hurting for pilots.

There is also a difference between needing pilots with 8+ years of experience vs newbies with no experience. (Not that I know if the Navy needs any type of pilot but my assumption would be they are more likely to need experienced aviators not green beans)

Edit: but yeah a lot of Pro-Rec-Y SNAs from the May 2022 board are looking at OCS dates in FY 24. SNFOs who were selected have sooner OCS dates.

Last edited:

JackT

Not sure where you heard that the US Navy is hurting for pilots.

There is also a difference between needing pilots with 8+ years of experience vs newbies with no experience. (Not that I know if the Navy needs any type of pilot but my assumption would be they are more likely to need experienced aviators not green beans)

Edit: but yeah a lot of Pro-Rec-Y SNAs from the May 2022 board are looking at OCS dates in FY 24
I heard it from some mentors of mine, retired naval aviators. Obviously, while established in the community, those gentlemen have been out of the game a while. That's why I hopped on this blog to find some more accurate information from people like yourself that are waiting to go to OCS. Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.
This is great! Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

I heard it from some mentors of mine, retired naval aviators. Obviously, while established in the community, those gentlemen have been out of the game a while. That's why I hopped on this blog to find some more accurate information from people like yourself that are waiting to go to OCS. Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.

This is great! Thank you.
There has NEVER been an issue getting new accession applicants for aviation and that is going back decades.