• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

GMWS10

https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/story.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test

Would anybody be able to chime in on this as a good mechanical comp study guide in addition to Kyle's 2019 guide? Also if anyone knows, how long do eye waivers usually take? Also because of this eye waiver thing, I got to push my original ASTB date from the 25th of March to the 22nd of April yay me more time to study. Also congrats to flying squid at the top who got 64 8/8/8! And whats this i've been hearing about lower scores for the exam?
hey do you know where I can find kyle's study guide and the gouges? I tried opening some of the links in the forum but they wont respond or open to me. I take the test soon. Im looking for a good source for math and mechanical comprehension

GMWS10

what is reviewed during board selections? i understand the OAR, application, GPA, but do they have a preference for one or the other in example the job for Intel or SWO or SNA, what do they look for in those candidates, is diversity a thing or no?

exNavyOffRec

what is reviewed during board selections? i understand the OAR, application, GPA, but do they have a preference for one or the other in example the job for Intel or SWO or SNA, what do they look for in those candidates, is diversity a thing or no?

aviation is all about ASTB, SWO is more about GPA and degree, Intel is about GPA and degree as well, diversity is not a thing on the front end, it is looked at after selections are made to help NRC figure out where more outreach is needed in order to get more diverse candidates to apply.

Shheen

Howdy,

Currently enlisted in the Navy Intelligence Field (E-6, 8 years of experience). Took my ASTB for the first time studied for roughly 15 hours (probably less), scored a 45 4/5/6. I realize these scores are the bare minimum. However, all of the Navy Pilots/NFOs that I have met with have stated the scores don't necessary mean everything especially with multiple O-6+ Pilot/NFO appraisals/recommendations. I am confident that I can score much higher, but the first time taking the test, the computer froze up and skipped the remaining portion of that section and I would rather not risk that happening again. I have a 4.0 GPA.

Just looking for everyone else take on the situation, Thanks.
Shheen

exNavyOffRec

Howdy,

Currently enlisted in the Navy Intelligence Field (E-6, 8 years of experience). Took my ASTB for the first time studied for roughly 15 hours (probably less), scored a 45 4/5/6. I realize these scores are the bare minimum. However, all of the Navy Pilots/NFOs that I have met with have stated the scores don't necessary mean everything especially with multiple O-6+ Pilot/NFO appraisals/recommendations. I am confident that I can score much higher, but the first time taking the test, the computer froze up and skipped the remaining portion of that section and I would rather not risk that happening again. I have a 4.0 GPA.

Shheen
nope, ASTB is pretty much everything, it doesn't matter who you are or what you have done, or who you have LOR's from, the data doesn't lie.

villo0692

Howdy,

Shheen
I mean, if you can submit your package before Friday, which is the deadline for the May board, I'd just submit that....and then study for a retake in case you don't get picked up.....if you're looking at the August board, I'd definitely retake

GMWS10

hi does anyone have specific tips for the mechanical section of the OAR? I am really struggling to find information in books and websites on this forum. Some have detailed, some do not, i know the section is 30 questions in 15minutes, how difficult are the questions. Someone said its like physics for truckers and requires simple intuition? im really lost in this process sorry

NevarYalnal

hi does anyone have specific tips for the mechanical section of the OAR? I am really struggling to find information in books and websites on this forum. Some have detailed, some do not, i know the section is 30 questions in 15minutes, how difficult are the questions. Someone said its like physics for truckers and requires simple intuition? im really lost in this process sorry
the test is adaptive; not guaranteed you will get 30 questions. you may end up using the whole time or it might kick you out early. also because it's so short you're not going super deep into having to work out problems the way you might need to for the math section. would emphasize understanding concepts versus rote memorization of formulas. You can use Khan academy to brush up on physics principles and supplement whatever is in the kyle drive.

Oshun8235

If you have a couple of good asvab apps with good high ratings on your phone those can help.

Kyle's Study (Everyone has this)

arRay

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I am finally making my obligatory scores post. A month ago, I scored a 48 5/5/5 on the ASTB and my retake is this Friday. I know I missed a few on the UAV, messed up a lot on the dichotic listening, and I missed one of the emergency procedures for the PBM. Would this be the root cause of my low PFAR and FOFAR scores? I've seen similar or lower OAR scores with higher AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR scores. That being said, I know my OAR is quite low but I am hoping that I can get it above a 55.

I studied Kyle's Google Drive religiously and honestly, I saw a lot of similar information on the test. For those who haven't used it, I highly recommend checking it out.

I haven't been able to prep much within the past few weeks because of school and other obligations. Any recommendations for content that I should check out or tips/tricks would help a bunch. Thanks!!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while and I am finally making my obligatory scores post. A month ago, I scored a 48 5/5/5 on the ASTB and my retake is this Friday. I know I missed a few on the UAV, messed up a lot on the dichotic listening, and I missed one of the emergency procedures for the PBM. Would this be the root cause of my low PFAR and FOFAR scores? I've seen similar or lower OAR scores with higher AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR scores. That being said, I know my OAR is quite low but I am hoping that I can get it above a 55.

I studied Kyle's Google Drive religiously and honestly, I saw a lot of similar information on the test. For those who haven't used it, I highly recommend checking it out.

I haven't been able to prep much within the past few weeks because of school and other obligations. Any recommendations for content that I should check out or tips/tricks would help a bunch. Thanks!!
When I took my ASTB, I screwed up some of the listening, got two UAV questions wrong, and messed up an EP and still scored a 7 PFAR and 8 FOFAR. I'd recommend going through Kyle's Drive again with a particular emphasis on the math and aviation/nautical information since those have the greatest weight on the AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR.

Grapeape

ASTB 52 7 9 7
GPA 2.46
Exercise Science
Private Pilot with 150ish hours
UCI Track Cyclist with CL1, CL2, NC metals
Laser Radial/Full Rig Sailor (sailed at the academy in 08')

Math
Before I even sat down to take the test I wrote down every formula, hard multiplication table, time in decimal, fraction equivalent, and standard displacement for gravity on the scratch paper. Once I was all set I went through each problem twice before I answered. Kyles study guide along with the Barron book and youtube was the best way for me to get through this section.

Reading
I made sure to read the questions as if I was having a conversation with someone and trying to see their point of view. I started to zone out towards the end but eventually got through it.

Mechanical
I felt very comfortable with this section. but I still wrote down all my formulas as well as made sure to write out every problem as if it were no multiple choice.

ANIT
Study everything, watch movies like Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff. Take s few flying and sailing lessons. invest in what you want to learn.

NATFI
Go in with the mentality that you are the only thing that matters. Stand up for what you did wrong and if others can't do it themselves they might not be cut out for what you are signing up to do.

PBM
Practice the UAV flashcards every night the week before you take the test. and play COD with an inverted Y-axis while holding conversations with friends and family

Good luck.

Jae.brown

Hello everyone,

Just took my ASTB today. Scored 54, 6/5/6, hoping to go SWO/NFO but with a bump in my GPA this semester(I'm a college senior graduating this July), my recruiter said I would be able to apply for Intel, CWO, IP. Happy to answer any questions about the test.