• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

cgoetz

Have any of you guys ever heard of anyone ever getting picked up with less than minimium scores for SNA or SNFO? I mean my grades aren't horrible I have like a 3.27 I don't know maybe that will help me.

You more than meet the minimum scores, which correct me if I´m wrong, are something like 3-4-4 35 (?). Your score, as you admitted, is not the best. From reading AW over the past few months I´ve seen plenty of guys get picked up with scores like yours but the rest of their package (PRT, LORs, medical, prior flight experience, etc) is usually very strong. If the rest of your package is weak, I´d recommend retaking the ASTB (I know you have to wait and that sucks) before applying but that´s just my $0.02.

Veovis

PRO REC SNA!
I got almost the same scores you did... 5,6,5 53, and all I've been doing for the past two months since I took it is studying and reading up on aviation and nautical info(I know thats where I bombed it) and I'm submitting in Sept, retake right after that and hopefully resubmit in Oct.

On the other hand my GPA... is less than impressive(2.97) so I really have to nail the ASTB

cgoetz

well I haven't taken the prt, but like I said my GPA is like a 3.27. I think I'm just going to go with what I got and see what happens. I still have another year of college left. So I should probably focus all my attention on school and participating in my Naval Aviation Club.

Well, I had one question specifically about boats, and about 40 on airplanes/airports. I mean, it was better for me that way, but from all of the gouge and practice tests I saw, it was more evenly balanced.
As for the technology, I took it on an older Dell 610 - it got the job done though. The slow part was the server it was pulling from, not the recruiters.
With regards to the online test though - you CAN go back - I had the same impression that you did, and was equally misinformed. There's a little navigation bar at the bottom of the page with a numbered box for every Q. And they are grayed if unanswered, green if answered and yellow if you flagged it for later attention. That part I thought was particularly well done. Theres also a good countdown clock there to make sure you manage your time.

7/7/8 59, going SNA only in Oct. What about you? As for the supplemental part, it was all aviation Qs ( I had test 4 ).

I'm going for NFO, Supply, SWO in Sept. Glad you are going in Oct! My scores are above. I think I have a fairly well rounded packet, so hopefully I'll get picked up for NFO and not have to take the ASTB again! Congrats on your scores, well done.

well I haven't taken the prt, but like I said my GPA is like a 3.27. I think I'm just going to go with what I got and see what happens. I still have another year of college left. So I should probably focus all my attention on school and participating in my Naval Aviation Club.

Best of luck. If things do not work out, keep talking with the recruiter on ways to improve the application. Participating in Clubs, working on your motivational statement, and gaining some flight experience will go a long way towards selection. The board reads a ton of applications a month, if you go in with average scores, you need something to separate you from the pack.

cgoetz

well I have my private pilot's liscensce and about 200 hours. I am also the treasurer the naval aviation and I am a member of a couple of other clubs. Plus I got a LOR FROM A women who has known me my whole life and is an assistant chief of the NYC police department, and I also got one from a commander I know. As for my motivational statement I haven't even started on that thing, but I'm definitely going to work on that right away. Good thing I am a pretty good writer. Anyway I'm going to give it my all these last two semesters and see where that gwts, and I'm going to bust my ass on my PRT. To give you kind of an idea I got like 3.27 but I don't know ho good that will be for them. To tell you the truth I was kinda bumed when I got my scores I don't feel as bad but I know I gotta really bust my ass know.

cgoetz

Anyone get a flight slot with less than minimum scores

Anyone here know someone who got less than whatever the minimuim score on the ASTB for pilot who has gotten a flight a slot. Only reason I say this is because I just took the ASTB today and got a 5,6,5; 44. I have been told that you have got to get a minimum 7 on all sections in order to be considered for a flight slot, however this is word of mouth. I know they consider of the package when they look such as your PRT and GPA which is a 3.27 for me.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Have you taken the ASTB 3 times? No? Then study and do better. Yes? Apply and see what happens.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
can anyone else confirm those scores that SMACKED in ATL gave for NFO

Those look about right.. I would not shoot for minimums though. You should have at least 6's to be competitive, minimums will not be. Study more and take it again if you're at the minimums now that you have an idea of how the test is setup.

You could just apply for the next month, and retake it anyways. That way if you don't get selected you might have a reason to apply immediately after (if the scores go up enough).

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
well I have my private pilot's liscensce and about 200 hours. I am also the treasurer the naval aviation and I am a member of a couple of other clubs. Plus I got a LOR FROM A women who has known me my whole life and is an assistant chief of the NYC police department, and I also got one from a commander I know. As for my motivational statement I haven't even started on that thing, but I'm definitely going to work on that right away. Good thing I am a pretty good writer. Anyway I'm going to give it my all these last two semesters and see where that gwts, and I'm going to bust my ass on my PRT. To give you kind of an idea I got like 3.27 but I don't know ho good that will be for them. To tell you the truth I was kinda bumed when I got my scores I don't feel as bad but I know I gotta really bust my ass know.

Considering a 3.0 would be about average, your GPA looks good. The ASTB is used to predict your success in flight school and OCS, so the 200 hours will definitely help strengthen other weak parts to your package. If you do well on the PRT, i'd say you have an alright chance. The clubs and LORs help as well, just remember it's whole person. ASTB scores are a large part of the package, but it's not the only part. Good luck!

cgoetz

Well right know I have a 5,6,5:44 which I guess is above the mins. But you did say 6s though. I originally wanted SNA but now I'm starting to consider SNFO. I think I'm just goin to apply anyway. I mean I have 30 until I can take it anyway so I might as well see what they say. Besides I don't know where I will be at in 30 days so I don't know if I will be able to take it then.