• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NEVFR

I got a 63 on the oar and did not see anything like this. I don’t think you will get a question like this.
Can confirm. My mechanical section was mainly theory. By the way, you have a great score, what did you use to study for the mechanical section?

NEVFR

One more question. Answer guide stipulates that the circumference of the wheel here is 24", and that you double that number to find the distance between W1 and W2 after a complete revolution.
How do we know that the circumference of the wheel is 24"? I plugged 10" into c=2[pi]r. As far as I can tell, the diameter is 10", meaning circumference should be 2(5") * pi, which should be 31.4? Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

View attachment 40188
I am glad you asked this because I was just studying the mechanical section and this question threw me for a loop. Book seems like a decent study tool but I have found a few wrong answers.

Empire16

Can confirm. My mechanical section was mainly theory. By the way, you have a great score, what did you use to study for the mechanical section?
Kieno Thomas. I also tried to remember as many problems from this thread as possible and saw them on my test! Also I had a sheet of paper with Every formula written on it. Such as mechanical advantage gear ratio etc.

MARTY TARTY

Does anyone know if there is an official OAR requirement for SNA or NFO ?
From what I can gather, my recruiter told me that the "bare minimum" she has seen is OAR scores are from like 45-50. now granted if you are going to be scoring those it is ideal that you better not goof up on the other tests I.e. FOFAR, AQR, PFAR and if you can also achieve those "minimum" scores of "6" all across she said you MIGHT get selected for NFO. realistically you wanna be getting above 55 OAR and 7's from what I've been able to gather in this forum.

exNavyOffRec

From what I can gather, my recruiter told me that the "bare minimum" she has seen is OAR scores are from like 45-50. now granted if you are going to be scoring those it is ideal that you better not goof up on the other tests I.e. FOFAR, AQR, PFAR and if you can also achieve those "minimum" scores of "6" all across she said you MIGHT get selected for NFO. realistically you wanna be getting above 55 OAR and 7's from what I've been able to gather in this forum.
Aviation doesn't worry about OAR, honestly none of the designators do as long as you get high enough to get to board, it can affect you if you need a waiver as they only accept those with waivers in limited numbers.

A 6 across the board will get you an immediate selection for NFO if you have no waivers so there is no "might" involved there.

Seckzyna172

Hey guys, took the ASTB recently and got pretty low scores.
OAR 50/ AQR 4 / PFAR 3 / FOFAR 4/

However I think i did pretty well for studying less than a month, skipped over the emergency checklist section on accident , and had no idea what I was doing on the terrain identification section or the MCT.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on the terrain identification section ? I have no idea what i am doing. I tried the ASTB app but still struggle with it.

Nnamdi25

Hey guys, took the ASTB recently and got pretty low scores.
OAR 50/ AQR 4 / PFAR 3 / FOFAR 4/

However I think i did pretty well for studying less than a month, skipped over the emergency checklist section on accident , and had no idea what I was doing on the terrain identification section or the MCT.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on the terrain identification section ? I have no idea what i am doing. I tried the ASTB app but still struggle with it.
If you want to see your scores improve the sections you need to train and study heavy on are ANIT, and every PBM section.

Martini44

Should I prioritize spending more time on the questions to get them right over trying to get through all questions?
Obviously you want to get the questions right and as fast as possible. Since the test gets harder As you get them right, and it cuts you off at 14 minutes if you‘re missing question, it make sense to slow down, get the questions right, and not finish the sections. Do you think getting high scores on the questions you finish result in a higher OAR score.

Struggling with the ASTB. I’m on my 3rd and Final try. 36, 39. I’ve been studying hard, but on this third and final try I am reach out to friends and family to help me prepare, as well as understanding the Dynamics of the test. I’m taking two months and training for this test.

OAR54

Didn’t study, didn’t realize there was a test.
Walked in got the score I needed.

Seemed like a fair test*. Basic concepts/theories. If you’ve been working with any of the concepts (in an applied sense or theoretical) shouldn’t stress too much. Seems to test exposure to the concepts more than outright abilities.

For example many of the multiple choice questions are simplified in the sense that you don’t have to fully evaluate for a correct answer.

Therefore if you know the concept, you can narrow down the correct answer to one of two pretty easily and use instinct after that. In someways my experience with the OAR seemed to be a test of whether or not I knew how to take tests…

If you grew up eating General Mills cereals and played the “games” on the back of the boxes you’ll be fine.

Good luck.

*compared to my experience with other govt tests, oldies (old test) and foreign military assessments.

nicksmitty220

Took the test on March 29th. I got a 57 and 6/7/6 on my first try. My recruiter said it's very good for a first attempt. Getting my paperwork together for MEPS. How competetive are these scores?

Mil3s

SNA Select
Took the test on March 29th. I got a 57 and 6/7/6 on my first try. My recruiter said it's very good for a first attempt. Getting my paperwork together for MEPS. How competetive are these scores?
You could go for I-sel for snfo if that is what you are aiming for if you have a 3.0+ gpa.

What is an I-SEL? I had a hard time looking it up.
it is a new thing that was released early this year. Where if you meet a certain score: 7/7/7 for SNA or 6/6/6 for NFO you get immediately selected meaning you skip the board. It usually takes 1-2 months to ship out to OCS though so if you do I-SEL make sure you are ready to go.